• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Random failure to feed last shell on Elevator? Bottom ejection of last round...

ricky_bobby

.270 WIN
Hey guys - thought I'd post this here - I have a 590 Tactical #50778, and its great for what I paid for it (price match from Buds is a great feature, I paid about $250 delivered to my FFL), but I'm having a random issue feeding from the magazine, I've disassembled, cleaned everything, etc -

I do have an S&J +1 extension but I did put the factory follower and mag cap and spring back in and the behavior is the same.

Now, if I'm racking it like a beast, it does not really happen, but the behavior more exhibits itself when I am "slow racking", not short shucking, say if you're just unloading snap caps.

I thought it was ammo related as I have my 590 loaded with Fiocchi Low Recoil 00 buck, which is *substantially* lighter and a shorter cartridge than standard 00 Buck from S&B, but it has done the same behavior when I have just 1 S&B 00 buck in the tube.

Nothing seems to be hanging up, but it seems that in certain scenarios when the last round is ready to be fed, something is off adjustment and it doesnt feed the last round, not sure if its a cartridge stop needing polishing, adjustment etc. But what will happen is I will go to load the last one (or only one) in the mag tube and if its not ridiculous amount of force, the round will stay in the tube when the action is completely open, and when I go to close the action it will eject out of the bottom (as the elevator has now gone up out of the way)

I've cleaned the receiver and all action parts, light lube on there, but I'm a bit stumped. My model 500 with the 5-shot tube has never had a single issue in years, I would practice with snap caps often with that gun and it has never had the same problem, even when "slow racking" the snap caps out for function testing.

Any thoughts? I've read about bending the cartridge stop lightly for adjustment but wanted to confirm if thats what I'm dealing with.

SOLVED - Literally just took the cartridge stop out and gave it 3 tiny bends (I mean just with finger pressure) with the flat end in a vice, and took the cartridge interrupter and with a fine file made literally 8-10 passes on the tip and the edges, loads FLAWLESSLY on the last round now -

Sorry that I am just seeing your post. And I'm glad you got it lined out.

I recently started having trouble with my cartridge interrupter on my 500 too. And I fixed it much the same as you did.

While steel is strong, it does have a certain amount of give to it. It didn't take much bending on mine either. So, I guess it's just a lot more critical spec than I thought that it was.

Thanks John - and yeah I'll be honest I actually think there may have been a burr on the cartridge interrupter that was hanging the last shell up, as I worked the action real slow I think it was just catching as it passed over and not allowing it to clear the shell stop, I really must have barely moved it (or maybe it was over extended and it did help) - I can't pinpoint which did the most help but either way if anyone is having feeding issues, smooth any sharp burrs, maybe some super fine 0000 steel wool if necessary to smooth the parts out, and do a touch of bending on the stop and file the tip of the interruptor and you should be GTG :thumbup:

Back