• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

I need a new bolt assembly

Bathrobeman

.270 WIN
The tip broke off one of the exctractors (I guesse that’s what they’re called), so I either need a new bolt or the piece to fix it I guess. So far I’ve only been able to find used ones, and the majority are used 500’s.
Is there a certain mossberg 500 model that I need to be searching? Or will any mossberg 500 bolt assembly fit? I assume the bolt from a mossberg 500 will work in my Mav 5+1 18.5”. Will it not?
Anyone know where I can find a brand new one? Also, if anyone knows of a “new & improved” one I’d be interested in that as well.

Thanks

Attachments

• 01EACC1A-2C2B-4FD4-81F6-0B0D8A62FE37.jpeg
    01EACC1A-2C2B-4FD4-81F6-0B0D8A62FE37.jpeg
    167.4 KB · Views: 17
I'd try Mossy directly. I don't think the price would be too bad--either for the complete bolt or at least the extractor. They might even send you one gratis... :)

Here we go. Looks like the bolt assembly is not for sale but they sell the extractors, etc for it.
It’s $10 plus shipping (imagine) for one extractor. Then I’ll probably pay someone to put it on. So I imagine I’ll have close to $30 in it. Used assemblies looked like they were running between $20-$30. I’m not sure which is the route to go yet. I wish they would sell a new assembly. I hadn’t contacted them yet but I bet they’ll point me towards the “parts bin” for a new extractor.
https://www.mossberg.com/schematic/?model=maverick-88-12-gauge-shotgun-schematic
No gratis this time I bet.

I’d replace both. Imho. Absolutely no need for a new bolt!!!! Might have been a bad heat treatment on the extractor. Had a few round off before but never break like yours in the pic!! Buy the extractors and send it to me. I’ll do it for free. Only costs probably $6 for shipping both ways. Your call

How old is the gun? It might be under warrantee.

Send an email to
Joseph Zakher
jzakher@maverickarms.com

He has helped many members here. Tell him you are from "Mossberg owners .com"
Thanks man. It’s about three years old. I’ll reach out to him and see what he says. I’m not sure what kind of warranty they have but it’s probably not too long for a $300 gun. But maybe he can come up with a solution to get me up and running again.
I’m not sure how it broke. I hadn’t shot it in awhile, and last weekend it had some mis-feeds. When I took it apart I saw the bolt was f’d.

Last edited:
Please keep us posted.
Will do. I shot ole boy an email as well as filled out the mossberg questionnaire on their website. I’ll let y’all know what they say. I hope they tell me something good. I wish the darned ole thing didn’t break. It’s been a pretty good gun up until now.

Any of y’all ever relalced the extractors before?

Get yourself a decent set of small punches/drifts and if you can, roll pin punches (online?). I'm not totally familiar with it but the extractor looks like it is held in/pivots with a roll pin and a tension spring underneath the extractor in the bolt applies pressure against the shell rim. You may even be able to push the pin out by hand if you take pressure off the extractor by pushing in on the spring. There are some good videos on bolt disassembly out there--I don't have a link for you at the moment.

Get yourself a decent set of small punches/drifts and if you can, roll pin punches (online?). I'm not totally familiar with it but the extractor looks like it is held in/pivots with a roll pin and a tension spring underneath the extractor in the bolt applies pressure against the shell rim. You may even be able to push the pin out by hand if you take pressure off the extractor by pushing in on the spring. There are some good videos on bolt disassembly out there--I don't have a link for you at the moment.
Thanks. I’ll see what I can find. The new tools would be nice, but the overall price will probaby determine the route taken.

Fixed. They replaced the extractor and sent it back to me free of charge. It’s back together and cycling.
Thanks for the help fellas.
I hope this break was just a fluke thing and not a case of “I got what I paid for.”
Thanks again y’all.

Attachments

• EA670062-6A0E-4640-8CEB-3BEA782FDB8D.jpeg
    EA670062-6A0E-4640-8CEB-3BEA782FDB8D.jpeg
    158.5 KB · Views: 5
Back