• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Patriot 7mm-08 build

Brian Wiggins

Copper BB
Hi guys brand new to the forum. So I picked up an ATR in .308 with a factory scope. I was going to try to modify it to go into the mossberg mvp stock I picked up. It could be possible with modifications to the stock screw locations and cutting down the inside of the magazine area on the ATR... but that would be a one way ticket...

So I started researching the dimensions of the patriot vs the mvp. They seem to be identical...or pretty darn close. I was really liking the patriot predator because it has the threaded barrel and you can get it in the brown cerakote. However I couldn’t get it in 7mm-08. I already have the .308 and the 6.5 CM... the regular patriot is the only model that comes in the 7mm-08. I was able to find one for less than $250 too! So that’s been ordered and should be here soon. I was looking at the savage axis and the Ruger American, but since I have the mvp stock already I went with this one.

So the plan once I get it to fit ;-) I want to do a kydex cheek rest, one piece scope base, new scope, large tactical bolt knob, thread the barrel, adding a more vertical pistol grip, stock paint job hopefully Camo, and refinish the action and barrel...not sure of the color.

Brian, welcome to the forum. That should be a very nice piece when you get it the way you want it.

SO got my 7MM-08 in. And it fits in the MVP stock. I have to buy a longer rear action screw. Its hard to find local so I will have to buy it online. I will need 1-3/4" ish button head bolt. The thread pitch is 1/4-28, so the fine thread 1/4".

Now the problem...the rifle fits in the stock fairly well. The magazine works also, however feeding from the magazine is an issue. Do the MVP rifles have a drop down piece on the bolt to pick up the shell from the magazine? If I load one round in the magazine it functions fine...more than that it doesn't...

Multiple Rounds in the magazine:
IMG_1671.jpg IMG_1670.jpg

One round in the magazine:
IMG_1672.jpg IMG_1673.jpg

Looking at the factory patriot magazine it seems to sit closer to the action that the box mag in the MVP stock. I need to get the rounds higher in the MVP stock for it to work I am thinking. I am thinking of trimming down the magwell in the mvp stock because the patriot magwell is really tight to the barreled action. Also think I am going to trim down the pillars in the MVP stock to get it tighter.

I could potentially create an extension on the factory patriot magazine. But I am really wanting to utilize the MVP stock since its wood. I will have to find a magazine body and plastic weld it to the factory magazine. It looks like the factory magazine base is glued to the side wall. Tried to take it apart last night but I didn't want to break it. Might have to get one and sacrifice it...

Does anyone have any insight?

Back