• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 464 Lever Action Troubleshooting

I did not feel like this spring in my 464 was too tight. As a matter of fact I was amazed at how light I thought it was the first time I stripped the gun down to clean it.

Hi,

I'm a new member but I joined this forum to get some help with my newly aquired 30-30 464.
Unfortunately I was experiencing a lot of issues that other 464 owners are well aware of, such as the feeding issue and now a little bit of the tube mag jamming.

But good news for myself and other owners that have been dealing with the feeding issues. I was able to pin point where the cartridge was getting stuck in the action.

I have pointed out in the picture of my action where I noticed that the cartridge was getting stuck.
When the bolt is closing and trying to slide the case up that little ramp, the angle of the ramp and sharpness of the ridges cause the case to push into that part of the action and get stuck.
(If you know what I mean)

What I did was i used a file to take the sharp edge off and round it at the top a bit so that it was like a little ramp for the base of the case.

It's still not 100% yet but it's about 95% better.
Before I did anything a case would get jammed every 2nd or 3rd cycle of the lever, afterwards I was able to cycle through 5 full magazines without a single jam. I did get a couple of small hang ups with my reloaded ammo but nothing like I was before.

I can try and take some better pictures if people are interested.
fb2292172274ca183d263bd47786a6a5.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Chewed up Brass
Not sure if this is a problem or not, but after feeding some cartridges through my gun, I noticed the base is all dinged up. Should I worry or no? This gun is not brand new, though it hasn't had many rounds through it, if the previous owner is to be believed. Attaching a picture of one of the cartridges. Note that all I did was put this in the magazine, fed from there into the chamber and then ejected it without firing - my wife gets grumpy about shooting guns inside the house. ;)

Addenda:
1. I sent Mossberg customer service this question a minute ago, along with the picture. I'll let y'all know what they say.
2. They got right back to me... and asked for the serial number, lol. Sent them that to move forward.
I think that is from where I have pointed out in my post, I had the same marks on some of my cases and I noticed that the cases were digging into the edges on those little ramp pieces.
Might be worth a look when you cycle it.

I think that is from where I have pointed out in my post, I had the same marks on some of my cases and I noticed that the cases were digging into the edges on those little ramp pieces.
Might be worth a look when you cycle it.

Definitely going to take a look at this! I also rounded the edge of the ejector hook, as that seemed to be a hangup place. WOndering if I combine the two if I might be able to get this thing close to 100%!

I just bought a Mossberg 464 Lever Action Brush gun, along with some Hornady Leverolution(sp? lol). However, the Hornady hung up on the second round. I've had lever action rifles before so I am familiar with them and how to use them. It happened with about 14 of the 20 shells I fired. Has anyone else had this problem? What type of ammo have you used that cycle fairly well? I do deer hunt and most shots will be less than a 100 yards here in South Alabama. Thanks----

I just bought a Mossberg 464 Lever Action Brush gun, along with some Hornady Leverolution(sp? lol). However, the Hornady hung up on the second round. I've had lever action rifles before so I am familiar with them and how to use them. It happened with about 14 of the 20 shells I fired. Has anyone else had this problem? What type of ammo have you used that cycle fairly well? I do deer hunt and most shots will be less than a 100 yards here in South Alabama. Thanks----
I had failure to feed problems with every kind of ammo. Is that what is happening with yours? The plastic magazine follower needed polishing and the tube had to be cleaned. Worked well after that but be careful with the follower. Being plastic, it isn't all that robust. Metal followers are available in the U. S. A.

I had failure to feed problems with every kind of ammo. Is that what is happening with yours? The plastic magazine follower needed polishing and the tube had to be cleaned. Worked well after that but be careful with the follower. Being plastic, it isn't all that robust. Metal followers are available in the U. S. A.
Thanks...I'll take a look at this. 'Preciate the input.

Just got a used 464 recently. Took it out and it shot the first 8 rounds without an issue. After that, nothing. There are very light dimples on the unfired rounds, could my spring have "gone bad", can it be replaced myself?

Springs can break.

I'd probably let Mossberg deal with it. I've never been inside of a 464 so I would be pretty apprehensive doing it myself.

One of my 464 threads shows me adjusting the spring perch for a harder strike. The spring sits on a stamped steel perch or toggle that holds it between the hammer and frame. Just take off the buttstock and you'll see it immediately.
2016-02-07 18.03.17.jpg

You can only adjust it a little as you''ll affect the rebounding hammer.

One of my 464 threads shows me adjusting the spring perch for a harder strike. The spring sits on a stamped steel perch or toggle that holds it between the hammer and frame. Just take off the buttstock and you'll see it immediately.
View attachment 21542

You can only adjust it a little as you''ll affect the rebounding hammer.

THANKS

I'd love to try that before shipping it away for two months. Would you mind linking the thread? I tried to search but couldn't find it!

The subject of vertical stringing is well known to me, unlike the solution. In the past, attempted solutions have included 1) loosening barrel band screws, first the rear, then the front, then both together 2) loosening the magazine cap screw 3) completely floating the barrel channel in the fore end. None of these ideas worked and #3 resulted in the magazine tube moving forward in the bands. Not what the Dr. ordered, not standard operating procedure and did not fix the stringing.
Assuming that the mobile mag tube was responsible for the initial problem, I went to the trouble of cobbling-up a fix, at great personal distress (sob) and expenditure of time, which stopped the tube in its tracks. But the stringing continued auabated.
Last May, a member of the enoughgun.com forum, in Oz, posted about his success with the methods of M. L. McPherson, which I have followed and which is pretty much finished except for the shooting. Please not that I am not too excited yet as it is possible to, "count your chickens", in this game.
For those interested, the address in my browser is enoughgun/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11991

Further to the above.
A complete job was performed on the rifle and it was the most difficult thing that I have ever done in 50 years of shooting. Suffice it to say that in spite of the learning curve and a couple of mistakes, test firing was a success. The final group at 50 yards was about 1/4 of what the rifle usually prints. It too, was a vertical group, achieved after some "half size" groups. Slackening the rear barrel band screw (RBBS) was what helped but I ran out of ammo and time.
While cleaning the following day, it was noticed that the magazine cap screw (MCS) appeared to be making contact with the barrel, or at least, very nearly. This is another avenue of exploration in the fine tuning that will happen, when opportunity presents. Then there is the front barrel band screw (FBBS) if and when necessary. I am all prepped with more ammo and hope to post pics soon.

IMG_0244.JPG
This target was shot late last year. Shots 1,2,3 and 4 show the extent of the vertical stringing of about 63/8", which is pretty standard. Shots 5,6 and 7 were fired with the rifle rest under the action instead of under the fore end.

Last edited:
Back