• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg Shockwave SPX

tonyquade

Copper BB
F8590CB1-67A7-4A2F-993B-2442EB5719C5.jpeg F1D516AC-FE8B-4DD5-9383-6C2B29666C91.jpeg
I do need some advice. I have taken it out the last 4 weekends practicing and getting to know the aspects and virtues of this firearm. It’s not a bad beast ... it’s a great tool. One thing that puzzles me is how to maintain the barrel as it is draped with a non removable heat gaurd. How can I clean the inner barrel beneath the heat shield? Thank you in advance.

tonyquade

Attachments

• 2B36DCAD-1035-4CBD-B30E-BAFA9CC5641C.jpeg
    2B36DCAD-1035-4CBD-B30E-BAFA9CC5641C.jpeg
    61.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Don't know the spacing between the barrel and the guard but you might try using a length of stripped 550 cord soaked in CLP or Ballustol. Just slide the soaked cord back in forth to clean the barrel and use dry piece for final wipe down.

Regards

Of all the Shockwave line...this one I find most appealing.

I would NOT have one for actual practical use without a laser sighting system on it. I think way too many people who buy these assume a shotgun just sprays lead in some kind of lethal cloud of death, when in fact at the distances this will be used, fired from the hip, the spread is very narrow and the odds of missing are extremely high.

But they are cool. I had one of the first models for a while, had fun with it, realized...meh.

It looks like from the design Of the rail mount piece that the use of the Crimson Trace laser for the Mossberg would be precluded.

Would hope that new owners are not falsely lead to believe you can not aim a shockwave like other shotguns. While firing from the hip may be fun it takes practice to be proficient. And yes a laser helps. But a shockwave can be easily aimed even firing slugs. That's how many if us do it.

While lasers are fun, if you're going to use a shockwave for personal or home defense I'd recommend a flashlight for positive identification and target engagement. Try working a very difficult scenario in your home - dark night, power out and you (and family) have an intruder or three. Try it with a laser, then a flashlight and you will see the differernce.

Try aiming your shockwave using the push pull method. Agree with others on shot pattern. Your shot expansion is typically one inch per yard from the muzzle. Most in-home engagements will be less than three to four yards.

Regards

Both/and when it comes to laser and light.

As for "aiming a shockwave" ... shooting from the hip is not what it is cracked up to be and under a stressful scenario the odds of putting lead on the target from the hip goes down dramatically.

Try to hold that shockwave up near your face to aim it while cranking off a full load slug? No thanks.

The push/pull method may hold out some promise, but ... if I'm serious about home defense, I am not going to be grabbing an unstable shorty shotgun with limited capacity.

To each his own, but ... a man's got to know his (shotgun's) limitations, as Dirty Harry said.

:)

I agree about the light with the laser. I found when I was shooting it, I seemed to develop a forward, but not shoulder height stance. I guess that's the push pull method or a hybrid of that so it was not a true shoot from the hip. I was using full power slugs with the firearm and had no problem sighting with the laser and staying on target. Just wish I didn't keep running out of ammo. Too much fun.

Of all the Shockwave line...this one I find most appealing.

I would NOT have one for actual practical use without a laser sighting system on it. I think way too many people who buy these assume a shotgun just sprays lead in some kind of lethal cloud of death, when in fact at the distances this will be used, fired from the hip, the spread is very narrow and the odds of missing are extremely high.

But they are cool. I had one of the first models for a while, had fun with it, realized...meh.

Agree totally. I installed a tlr8 light with red laser sight - and knowing the limitations of any tool in your tool bag is crucial.

Back