• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Buckshot shooters.... What FPS?

nitesite

Average Guy
"Philanthropist"
Curious.

Because 12-GA 00 Buck is available from 1100-fps to almost 1500-fps.

Do you have a preference, or do you just buy what you find available?

While I typically look for buckshot in the 1300 fps plus range the more important aspect is feed reliability and delta fps consistency between shells.

I always buy in case lots so price become a third factor to consider.

Regards

I've been loading mine in the mid 1100's fps. Mild compared to many of the "magnum" and "hunting" loads.

Right in line for all the managed recoil and TAP LEO Hornady loads though.

I prefer the slower stuff for 2 main reasons.

1. Less muzzle rise, faster and more accurate follow up shots if necessary.
2. I doubt that anyone standing on the wrong end of it would be able to tell you that there was a difference between it and some other buckshot shell.

My humble opinion, nine .32'ish caliber bullets hitting someone at more than the speed of sound, is going to make a really bad day regardless.

If outside, these are for 50 yards or less shots (like my property for instance). They perform fine at those distances and if indoors, don't really even leave the wad in that close proximity. So, it would be more like getting hit with a slug that fragments.

I had to check my boxes and do a google :)

If im correct, my two types ( 00 and #4 ) buckshot ( Rottweil brand ) should be at 1360 ft/s and 1279 ft/s. Its the only brand i can buy locally, so i use what i can get :D

Curious.

Because 12-GA 00 Buck is available from 1100-fps to almost 1500-fps.

Do you have a preference, or do you just buy what you find available?

As I don't have a 930 yet, whatever 00 I have was bought because it was a case "deal" and will work fine in a 500. I'll dig it out to see the FPS.

I agree with the others that a softer load is perfectly acceptable in a pump gun--even mini shells with an Opsol. Easier to control for smaller folks. Why beat yourself up with recoil and risk over-penetration?

If I DID have a 12ga semi, I would be sure to test a box or two in it to assure reliable feeding and function but only go as "hot" as necessary for the gun to function well.

My ammo FPS is all over the map. I really don't care what it is. I'd like to think I'm an adaptable person and try to be that way. We're all different people. My Shockwave and Maverick 88 is partly to just have fun with. So, I really don't care what FPS it is. I bid on it on GB and go to a level that's within my tolerance level. It does run from 11..something to over 1400fps in both 2.75 and 3". I find that listed FPS doesn't always correlate to recoil. I don't know why at all.

Back