• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

12 GA mini shells

For mini's I prefer the mini slugs they where quite accurate at hallway range approx. 25 ft. The other offerings are good also. For the most part I like the standard 2-3/4 stuff.

What am I missing here? The shorty shells have the same velocity, same shot count, and are shorter. Sounds like they perform the same but are much smaller than a 2 3/4". There has to be something I'm not picking up on. What is it? Thx.

What am I missing here? The shorty shells have the same velocity, same shot count, and are shorter. Sounds like they perform the same but are much smaller than a 2 3/4". There has to be something I'm not picking up on. What is it? Thx.

I think the mini shells can a viable option for HD for those who are recoil sensitive providing you are willing to bet your life on a rubber adaptor, personally after having the adaptor begin to work it way out under recoil on a couple occasions I`ll take a pass!

Well, no the Mini Shells don't have the same shot count and velocity as a 2¾" buckshot. The #4 2¾" shells have a velocity of around 1325 fps and usually around 27 pellets. The Mini shells have a much reduced felt recoil compared to 2¾" buckshot. Definitely less than a 20 gauge and not much more that a 410 shotgun.

I think the mini shells can a viable option for HD for those who are recoil sensitive providing you are willing to bet your life on a rubber adaptor, personally after having the adaptor begin to work it way out under recoil on a couple occasions I`ll take a pass!

Good to know. I haven't gone there with my new Shockwave yet. Thank you Ghmann as well. :thanks:

Has anyone cut down 12ga hulls to make minis at home?
That would be cool. I looked on Google and there were lots of articles. There was one on Guns.com that made it seem like a less intimidating project. Some of the other articles made it seem like you would have to do a bunch of powder experiments, but that article was basically like you aren’t reinventing the wheel, you are just making a short version of a stock shell, with a couple standard wad replacement parts..

That's pretty short.
I was going to trim down some wads I have. Just clip off the "8" and put a card on the powder first.
I'm always stuffing paper in the buck & ball reloads to get them to come out with a perfect crimp & it doesn't seem to be a big deal.

Probably a dumb question but could new unfired shells be partially de constructed, a shorter wad installed, and the hull re sized to a mini, then recrimped, even if it meant losing 1 or 2 pellets? My first shot in a home defense scenario is always a full size #00 because the OpSol doesn’t effect that first chambered round, and having eight #00 follow ups lends some peace of mind..

Probably a dumb question but could new unfired shells be partially de constructed, a shorter wad installed, and the hull re sized to a mini, then recrimped, even if it meant losing 1 or 2 pellets? My first shot in a home defense scenario is always a full size #00 because the OpSol doesn’t effect that first chambered round, and having eight #00 follow ups lends some peace of mind..

Yes. Theoretically.

But, changing components and payload weights/etc. may also affect the pressures in a negative manner too. Meaning, you could cause an over-pressure situation. Which as you are sure to understand could end badly.

Back