• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg and the Miltary

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Just curious if anyone knows how many of what weapons have been provided to the service of our country over the generations.

I know various military branches currently use 590's and 500's, but I am curious if anyone here knows a rough estimate of how many and exactly what branches/units and where.

I read a post somewhere that Mossberg didn't like to blow their own horn, but this is something they should be proud of.

Mossberg claims the Model 500 is the only shotgun to pass the US Army's Mil-Spec 3443E test, "a brutal and unforgiving torture test with 3,000 rounds of full power 12 gauge buckshot". (The updated 3443G specification requires a metal trigger guard, so only the Model 590A1 variants, which have a heavier barrel and use metal trigger groups instead of the standard Model 500's plastic trigger groups, will fit the requirements.)

While the Marines officially switched to the semi-automatic Benelli M1014 Combat Shotgun in 1999, various branches of the US military are still acquiring pump shotguns. The Navy acquired several thousand Mossberg 590A1 shotguns in 2004, and the US Army placed an order in 2005 for 14,818 units at a price of just over $316 each (The Benelli M1014 is considerably more expensive).

In 2009 US Special Forces Groups procured Military Enhancement Kits to provide a standardized shotgun configuration based on the Mossberg 500. The kits included a collapsible stock, "shotgun retention system", 1913 receiver rail, forend rail system and breaching barrels. A total of 1301 shotguns were converted with the first unit being equipped in July, 2009. The majority of the kits convert the standard issue shotgun to a 14" compact model with a 16" accessory breaching barrel.

Mossberg also produced a US Military version of the model 500. The model number is 500 MILLS and contains a U.S. prefix to the serial number. This particular model (500MILLS) contains all metal parts, is parkerized with a 20" barrel. The magazine capacity is 6+1.

My Infantry Brigade went with a Gov't credit card and purchased all the Mossy 500's they could find in the Miss State area in 2006 prior to going to Afghanistan. These did NOT come from the Gov't purchase pipeline.

Millions. Some you could add up the numbers such as colt, winchester, remington and others by looking them up at http://www.proofhouse.com or other sites to get an approximation. A lot of records are missing or otherwise not available tho. I think it would be a difficult research project.

Mossberg supplied 22 cal training rifles the 44US bolt actions they were marked US Property on the bbl & receivers they also supplied Lend Lease rifle to the Brritts for training. these were in the 42MB model bolt actions. these also were ser number and stamp US Prroperty, many came back home with Britt stampings. and Parker hale receiver sights.Mossberg 42MB Britiah Proofed X4.jpg This example has hwat were refered to as sentencing marks. ----- I was teeeeeempeted to remove them but decided to research them first - I found that --
"I would not remove the paint as it is part of the history of the rifle. The daubs are sentencing marks indicating that it was examined and found wanting for something but it was good enough to store pending repair. It could be as simple as a missing sight or it does not have the latest upgrade. The Mossbergs were factory rebuilt in 1948 and fitted with Parker Hale rear sights. Yours may have been scheduled for the upgrade and was surplused out before it could be done" -- so they remain until today ~~MM~~

Great information mossbergman. Thank you for the info and the photos.

We had Benellis in Afghan with us. I was surprised that we were being issued Italian weapons. Then again, some of our M16s were FNs. Pretty sure mine was a Colt.

Mossberg claims the Model 500 is the only shotgun to pass the US Army's Mil-Spec 3443E test, "a brutal and unforgiving torture test with 3,000 rounds of full power 12 gauge buckshot". (The updated 3443G specification requires a metal trigger guard, so only the Model 590A1 variants, which have a heavier barrel and use metal trigger groups instead of the standard Model 500's plastic trigger groups, will fit the requirements.)

While the Marines officially switched to the semi-automatic Benelli M1014 Combat Shotgun in 1999, various branches of the US military are still acquiring pump shotguns. The Navy acquired several thousand Mossberg 590A1 shotguns in 2004, and the US Army placed an order in 2005 for 14,818 units at a price of just over $316 each (The Benelli M1014 is considerably more expensive).

In 2009 US Special Forces Groups procured Military Enhancement Kits to provide a standardized shotgun configuration based on the Mossberg 500. The kits included a collapsible stock, "shotgun retention system", 1913 receiver rail, forend rail system and breaching barrels. A total of 1301 shotguns were converted with the first unit being equipped in July, 2009. The majority of the kits convert the standard issue shotgun to a 14" compact model with a 16" accessory breaching barrel.

Mossberg also produced a US Military version of the model 500. The model number is 500 MILLS and contains a U.S. prefix to the serial number. This particular model (500MILLS) contains all metal parts, is parkerized with a 20" barrel. The magazine capacity is 6+1.
Nice research, very informative. Thanks.

Just curious if anyone knows how many of what weapons have been provided to the service of our country over the generations.

I know various military branches currently use 590's and 500's, but I am curious if anyone here knows a rough estimate of how many and exactly what branches/units and where.

I read a post somewhere that Mossberg didn't like to blow their own horn, but this is something they should be proud of.

So, I served as a Military Police officer for over 8 years and we carried 500's. Just a quick run down of what I experienced, I started in 2001 as a Military Police patrol officer and we had a SWAT team (we called them SRT) that used the Benelli semi-auto. in 2004 I was assigned to the arms room as a unit armorer, and in 2005 we received a shipment of 150 Mossberg 500 shotguns for patrol purposes. This was my introduction to shotguns, and as the unit armorer I had to clean and oil every new Mossberg shotgun we received. I did have one other guy in the arms room to help out, but I became very familiar with the 500! I was relocated to a new base in late 2005 as a patrol supervisor and we had the 590A1 at that base. I did not work in the arms room so I do not know the quantity. In 2007 I was reassigned again to a new base as a squad leader, and we had just received a shipment of the 590A1, but no one knew how to assemble or instruct the new soldiers on the weapon. It was a garrison unit on a small base and they didn't have alot of firepower. I taught the soldiers how to disassemble, clean, oil, and reassemble the 590A1's at that unit. So each base is different, some are more combat oriented and they use breacher barrels on pistol grips for blowing door hinges in combat zones. Other units are more patrol oriented and carry standard 500's as patrol shotguns because they don't go to combat zones so they don't need the 590 or 590A1. Almost all SRT units have the benelli, the Navy actually has the 590 mariner on their boats (a jab at the navy, I know they are called ships, but I like to call them boats just to get them worked up). The Air Force doesn't use firearms, seriously, my sister in law is in the Air Force and she hasn't touched a weapon since basic training like 10 years ago. I do know that there is a new shotgun system coming down the pike that is a modular system that mounts under the barrel of the M4 carbine and can be set up as a stand alone shotgun also. I work on a military base, and I have not seen any of these yet. So, tracking how many Mossbergs are in the military would require inventory information from all branches, and all bases and ships. I am sure that a list exists, or multiple lists exist, but for the civilian world to see it would be a security breach probably.

Over on the Mossberg Owners Facebook Group if you dare mention that the Maverick 88 is not "military grade" you get a bunch of whiney responses. It's hopeless. :)

Mossberg claims the Model 500 is the only shotgun to pass the US Army's Mil-Spec 3443E test, "a brutal and unforgiving torture test with 3,000 rounds of full power 12 gauge buckshot".

"Soldier! Come here and load this shotgun then fire it at the target until you are out of ammunition... That is an ORDER!" Soldier looks over at the pallet of 00 Buck... :( :D

Back