• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Anyone using a Kahr S9?

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
My middle son traded for one on Thanksgiving. I haven't shot it yet, but it looks like it would make a nice little CCW piece. It was light, small framed. Fit in the hand well. Seemed constructed good.

Just wondering if any of you have any experience with it. Good or bad.

This isn't my picture. I just wanted to post it to give a good comparison of it's actual size. Props to GunsAmerica for this: https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/portable-packable-power-kahr-s9-compact-9mm/

13-1024x683.jpg

I have the similar .380 version. It runs well after a moderate break-in, and a little work. I posted this back after I bought it, and I wouldn't be surprised if you had the same defects that I had to cure.
My wife and I ran 25 rounds through each gun Monday, and the Smith & Wesson was flawless, but the Kahr not so much.

The magazine was difficult to insert and remove because there were minor defects inside the plastic handle. I think these were caused by shrinkage in the mold.

Also had a couple failure to feed issues and a stove pipe and I related this to fairly rough feed ramp. This gun is going to need a little throat work and also I need to clean up inside the handle until the magazines feed properly.

I really couldn't hit much at 9 yards with either gun although it improved a little bit when I brought the target into 7 yards.

Anyhow I filed out inside the handle a little bit so the magazine would slip in and out, and I gave it some cleanup in the throat area.

It runs quite well now but I'm not accurate with the dang thing.

It's a belly gun for me and if I have to shoot anything more than 5 feet away I prefer a bigger gun.

Attachments

• 20170404_185139.jpg
    20170404_185139.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 6
Thanks for the reply caddman.

He said the main problem that he has had with it so far has been the magazine. He said it has tried to spit out more than one round occasionally causing a jam. So, I'm not sure if it's feedlip related or spring related.

I don't know how well (or not) it shoots. But I'm not real good at shooting short barreled pistols myself so I probably wouldn't be the best to judge for that.

OK, just a short update, my son was getting light primer strikes. About every 3rd round would be a light strike. You could see a dimple on the primer, but not deep enough.

He said he didn't want to fool with the gun and sold it to me.

I replaced the spring with a one from Numrich gun parts. It appears to be made of a different metal. Slightly different color.

Next to the live fire test.

Fired 2 magazines through it, and got to the final round in the 2nd mag, and click. Another light strike.

Well, at least I think I'm moving in the right direction.

I took the gun all the way down and cleaned the firing pin channel and all the striker parts. I also stretched the spring about the length of 2 coils. Put a thin coat of grease on the rails, trigger parts and put everything back together.

Fired 4 magazines, most of the last two mags were as fast as I could pull the trigger and still had zero failures this range trip.

Primers still look a little light for my taste, but no failures is still no failures. So, I'm going to load up some handloads and see how they go and make the decision after some more time behind it as to whether to keep or trade it off.

I like that it's small and light, but it started out having to prove itself to me, so it's got some catching up to do before I trust it enough to start carrying it. But it's going in the right direction now.

Ours mainly had issues stove-piping and ejecting the mag.

The stove-piping stopped with break-in time. I solved the mag issue by removing mold parting lines ("flash") inside the plastic handle.

I scrapped them down and sanded slightly. End of issue.

Some of my guns have stamped firing "pins" (well all the rimfires, I believe) and some pins had small burrs or slight deformities.

All these were removed with a file or stone, starting with the old/new 353T, which had barely been shot.

After fooling with the little gun a while, I never could get it 100% reliable for him.

Changed the firing pin (ordered from factory). Changed the firing pin spring (twice--1 factory part another was aftermarket). Still would get occasional, random and unexpected light strikes. It improved after changing the parts so it only happened maybe once or twice every several magazines, but without being able to be utterly reliable, I think he traded or sold it for something else.

This was just a problem child from day one. And seems to be the exception rather than the rule, but at the end of the day, when you pull the trigger on a personal defense gun, it really needs to bang. This one would not.

Back