• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

<*}}}><

I picked up an old 8$ Johnson reel yesterday at Redbeard`s Treasure Chest in Bixby and put it on an 10$ Southbend 350 rod that had picked up last year...

View attachment 24067

Johnson Century 100B's were made in 1962 and were discontinued in 1979.

View attachment 24068

I pulled off all the old line and opened it up and was surprised at how clean it was inside. I removed the old grease and give a good cleaning and used some gun oil on the moving parts and then put on some fresh 6lb low vis Trilene and took it out for a test... I caught this little Bass and retired that rig to hanging on the wall...

View attachment 24069

My Mom's absolute, I gotta have it , all time favorite reel. She used it to out fish everyone in the family when we were in Minnesota and had the audacity to grab her rod and reel immediately after we pulled in to Whitefish Lake Resort in Wirt MN, while Dad checked on our cabin, and with a red and white Daredevil hook a big, to me, 7 3/4 lb Northern. She had it at the car for dad to clean for supper by the time he came back to the car. Mom was the real catch.

A decent little Bass that I caught on Tenkara Fly rod using I`m guessing about size 12 fly that was gifted to me years ago, I figure it was the first time it`s hit water since a close friend tied it, he passed away in 2011 so it meant a lot to me to catch something on it...

103_0839 (2).JPG

Elbert, I completely understand why you would have a lot of sentimental value to that little lure.

My Dad was a hardcore fisherman. I've seen him run up the lake when it was so cold that he would wear a motorcycle helmet with a face shield to keep from getting frostbite. I've even seen him fish when it was so cold that he would have to smack the water with the tip of his rod because it would freeze the eye on the end of it solid.

He died 11 years ago and when Mom was giving me and my sister his fishing stuff, I didn't take the stuff that was all shiny and didn't look like it had ever been used.

I took the ones that the paint was beat off of it, and crankbaits that had hit so many rocks on the side of the bank that the paint was missing.

I have used a few of them in open water away from the banks because I really fear getting them hung up and losing them and that would break my heart. But I'm sure your friend would've been glad to see you catch him. I have no doubt in my mind.

Yesterday morning I did a little urban fishing in Haikey Creek Park Broken Arrow, Oklahoma...
I`ve passed by that park for years and I`ve been wanting to fish the little creek that runs through it and I finally took the time to do it. It can be a challenge getting to the water but I managed to catch a few. Great fun and some good exercise for this old man...

103_0877 (2).JPG

103_0880 (2).JPG

That's awesome.

I've never fly fished before. I need to change that.

I taught my youngest son how to tie jigs using grey squirrel and even a fox squirrel tail and deer tail and stuff. He took to it really naturally.

But, they were on lead head jigs, so obviously they sink. He even put some tiny spinners on them. Like a mini spinner bait. They're good for when he's fishing the little stream below the dam at one of our bigger lakes.

My dad was a hunter and a trapper but he was never a fisherman. I never really went fishing until I was in college, and met some local guys, fixing cars in Utah.

I was about 40 before I ever owned a boat. I still own that same boat, much refitted over the decades.

I hit a local lake (Haskell lake) yesterday morning I caught several Bluegill, one Crappie and a few Bass. I started off with a fly until the wind picked up and then I switched to a 3" Trout worm...

103_0951 (2).JPG

103_0950 (2).JPG

I hit a friends small farm pond this morning and the action was good and the size was decent. I quit counting after about a dozen or so. This little pond was a bit of a challenge to fish, there`s already a lot of aquatic growth leaving only small pockets of open water to fish with over hanging willow limbs to navigate, pretty much down to sling shot cast....

103_1020 (2).JPG

103_1026 (2).JPG

One and done at a small local lake...
Temps were in the mid 40`s this morning made for some slow fishing, missed one and caught one. Taken with a Tenkara rod using a Pete`s 3" Trout worm on a Mustad 8 streamer hook...

103_1057 (2).JPG

103_1061 (2).JPG

He's a nice looking fella.

If it were me, the next picture you'd see of it would be rolled in corn meal and after a quick fry. ;)

I managed to catch two Bass at a small local lake before the wind began to howl. Taken with a Tenkara rod using a Pete`s 3" Trout worm on a Mustad 8 streamer hook...

103_1077 (2).JPG

Back