• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Ammo available in your area.

Are there no ammo plants in Canada?
There are a number places across the country that commercially produce ammo but they're more on the "boutique" side of the equation, at least compared to all the big, US manufacturers. Challenger and Score are the largest I know of off the top of my head. But I've only seen SG ammo offered from those guys. The bulk of the ammo on our shelves is Federal / American Eagle, Remington, Winchester, CCI / Blazer, Hornady, and Nosler. That reminds me there is an outfit not too far from me I'd been meaning to check out before COVID hit...but I think they only do bulk orders.

No problem buying 12 gauge ammo 8-4 birdshot at Walmart until November. Since then all 5 stores I usually hit are wiped out. Nothing but maybe a box or two of 20 gauge. Sadly, I've never even seen any buckshot or slugs since I started buying in August.

I've been getting lucky at Academy. Got enough 20 gauge birdshot to join a trap league!

My local WM still had a few boxes and even bulk boxes of 20ga last week.

I stopped by my local Academy (20+ min away) around noon one day because I hadn't been there in a while and was in the area. One of the clerks, young guy in his 20s, told me that they get shipments throughout the week and people start lining up at 6am--they open at 8! :eek:

Also no reloading components to speak of. He said that because of the CV, many imported primers are stuck in containers or something along those lines... I guess there is only one factory in the US? I don't know but this is what he said.

They had a little Heritage .22 revolver I was thinking about for $130. And a Barnett crossbow for $260ish...

Bobster, I bought a Heritage .22 about 6 or 7 years ago. It was at Academy and I think I paid $159.00 back then. I have had a lot of fun with that revolver. It had a 4.5 inch barrel and has never given me any trouble. If I found one tomorrow for $130.00 I would buy it.

I snagged two boxes of Sierra Match Grade .223/77 grn today. Pricey, $65 including tax. The store had some .556 as well for about the same price point, but they were 55 grns and I just prefer the heavier bullet. I probably should have bought more.

Bobster, I bought a Heritage .22 about 6 or 7 years ago...If I found one tomorrow for $130.00 I would buy it.

I ended up going to Academy and was able to get there by 8:45pm, the FDLE's cut-off for BGCs. :D Got me one of those little Hairy .22s... :) $129 until Sunday night (I think). As I have a CWP, I was able to walk out with it that night. My store in FL had plenty in stock. I almost bought one last year same price, but the guy in front of me in line bought the last one. :(

I also picked up the Barnett "Stealth 380" for $269. This model is NOT listed on either Barnett's or Academy's websites. It is nearly identical (aside from camo pattern) to the XP380 in this LINK. Photo is of the display, mine is still "new" in the box. The clerk tore the accessory bag open to show me what was inside (instructions, cocking string, lube, bolt tips, quiver, etc.) and I exclaimed "You savage! It is a ziplock!" :rolleyes: :D Includes a couple 400gr carbon shaft bolts and scope as shown. Adjustable stock.

I haven't decided if I am going to keep the crossbow (the revolver is not returnable) but it is comparable to $400 models. And local sellers on CL are getting $200+ for rough examples. My 18yo son has expressed an interest and we have a large back yard to shoot in but I KNOW the wife will not approve... :rolleyes: I'll lie and say I traded some ammo for it... :D

Their bolt pickings were slim, and I bought 9 extra I may return even if I keep the bow. The quality (Korean) is not apparent with crooked vanes and at 6/$45 and even with them giving me an "extra" bolt for free (7), they are still $7 each after tax. I also got a couple US-made fiberglass bolts for $5ea with better quality. Had to buy tips as they didn't come with them. :rolleyes: Add another $8.50. I'll have to see what the dozen I ordered for $24 WITH tips shipped from debay look like. :) Supposed to be carbon... Initially the bow will only be for plinking... :) With a target bag ($30 inc/tax) I spent nearly $500! :eek:

Don't mean to thread-drift but at $2 a re-usable "round", the bow might be a keeper. Add this to our "arsenal" of alternative projectile launchers such as BB guns, slingshot, paintball and throwing knives. ;)

Any opinions or recommendations? If I keep it I'll start another thread...

20122148.jpg
stealth380.jpg

bolts.jpg

Last edited:
I was watching the slingshot channel yesterday and Joerge was testing crossbow bolts where the fletching was made from Wilkinsons razor blades. They look pretty deadly!

but be careful loading them!

I ended up going to Academy and was able to get there by 8:45pm, the FDLE's cut-off for BGCs. :D Got me one of those little Hairy .22s... :) $129 until Sunday night (I think). As I have a CWP, I was able to walk out with it that night. My store in FL had plenty in stock. I almost bought one last year same price, but the guy in front of me in line bought the last one. :(

I also picked up the Barnett "Stealth 380" for $269. This model is NOT listed on either Barnett's or Academy's websites. It is nearly identical (aside from camo pattern) to the XP380 in this LINK. Photo is of the display, mine is still "new" in the box. The clerk tore the accessory bag open to show me what was inside (instructions, cocking string, lube, bolt tips, quiver, etc.) and I exclaimed "You savage! It is a ziplock!" :rolleyes: :D Includes a couple 400gr carbon shaft bolts and scope as shown. Adjustable stock.

I haven't decided if I am going to keep the crossbow (the revolver is not returnable) but it is comparable to $400 models. And local sellers on CL are getting $200+ for rough examples. My 18yo son has expressed an interest and we have a large back yard to shoot in but I KNOW the wife will not approve... :rolleyes: I'll lie and say I traded some ammo for it... :D

Their bolt pickings were slim, and I bought 9 extra I may return even if I keep the bow. The quality (Korean) is not apparent with crooked vanes and at 6/$45 and even with them giving me an "extra" bolt for free (7), they are still $7 each after tax. I also got a couple US-made fiberglass bolts for $5ea with better quality. Had to buy tips as they didn't come with them. :rolleyes: Add another $8.50. I'll have to see what the dozen I ordered for $24 WITH tips shipped from debay look like. :) Supposed to be carbon... Initially the bow will only be for plinking... :) With a target bag ($30 inc/tax) I spent nearly $500! :eek:

Don't mean to thread-drift but at $2 a re-usable "round", the bow might be a keeper. Add this to our "arsenal" of alternative projectile launchers such as BB guns, slingshot, paintball and throwing knives. ;)

Any opinions or recommendations? If I keep it I'll start another thread...

View attachment 24295
View attachment 24296

View attachment 24298
I'd say keep it. Barnett makes a great unit. Like you said...re-usable ammo always a +1 in my book.

I had reason to check out my local WalMart today (Tuesday). Please don't judge. :giggle: I was genuinely amazed. I had planned on possibly picking up a 100 round pack of 20 gauge birdshot. Um no. I saw a couple of 25 round boxes of 28 gauge birdshot. Nothing else. I mean nothing else. No need to get the right clerk with the right keys. There was nothing in the glass case anyway. :omg: The apocalypse is upon us. Take care. Tom Worthington

Probably won’t help you, but got an email from outdoor limited saying they got a truck load of ammo in..
You're right, that doesn't help me much as I live in Ontario Canada. I have Bass Pro, Canadian Tire, and a few ma and pop shops. The selection is quite poor around here to say the least. I ended up buying some Winchester Long Beard XR Turkey Loads in #5 shot to use as a HD load. Then I ended up finding some Remington Ultimate Defense loads online, but have not received them yet.

The turkey loads look very dang good tho!

You're right, that doesn't help me much as I live in Ontario Canada. I have Bass Pro, Canadian Tire, and a few ma and pop shops. The selection is quite poor around here to say the least. I ended up buying some Winchester Long Beard XR Turkey Loads in #5 shot to use as a HD load. Then I ended up finding some Remington Ultimate Defense loads online, but have not received them yet.

The turkey loads look very dang good tho!
The first time I shot my shockwave,I put in a couple Fiocchi Golden Pheasant shells. 1-3/8oz #4 shot. First time I ever drew my own blood shooting a gun..lol I got 98 left....my HD stack is a NobelSport #00 buck followed by a tube full of Aquila mini buckshot,#4s and #1s..sorry they can’t ship you some ..

Back