• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Anyone polish their shotgun chamber? What method did you use

JCinPA

.270 WIN
The most foolproof seems to be using a flex-hone. No question it will do a foolproof and excellent job, and with a longer one, you can polish the entire barrel--although I don't know why one would need to do that unless the barrel was pitted or rusty.

Pro: Foolproof, perfect for the job
Con: A lot of money for a limited use tool

The next most common method I see involves 000 steel wool and maybe some gun oil (or compound like Flitz) on a dowel or shotgun brush. Seems reasonable.

Pro: Again hard to screw up, almost foolproof, probably works as well as a flexhone
Con: Can't think of any

Next I see folks using a Dremel with felts and compound.
Pro: Probably works well. I already have one
Con: I suspect it is harder to get as uniform a finish as with the above two methods

Finally, I see folks using varying grades of emery paper.
Pro: Probably works, and cheap
Con: Unnecessarily complicated, I bet the steel wool works just as well with less fiddling

Gun is a plain 930 field/security combo, main purpose will be security. Thoughts? Post your results and what differences you noticed?

While I didn't really feel the need to polish my chamber, putting about 300 rounds of cheap birdshot downrange is a lot more fun and accomplishes the same thing.

Hmmmm. Hadn't thought of that. I suspect yanking a lot of hot, expanded plastic out of the chamber would have a tendency to polish it up a bit eventually. Good point. And that thought makes me positive I'm not buying any flexhone. At most, I'd try the steel wool method.

Thanks.

Agree with John. After you've put several hundred rounds through the gun disassemble it and look for the wear points. If they need some minor touch up use steel wool or a buffer wheel. Both work well.

However, be careful polishing the business end of the cartridge stop or ejector. Many have and it's caused many cycling problems. On a 500 or 590 the smoothing the cartridge lifter arms improves cycling.

Regards

Steelwool in 3 or 4 ought with Flitz works great for me. Wrap a ball of steel wool on the end of a cleaning rod or wood dowel. Chuck in a drill and polish away

Good luck .

Back