• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Camouflage for Various Environments (The Camouflage Thread)

S.R. Crawford

.270 WIN
Most of us here use camo for one purpose or another. Many of us hunt, some of us like looking awesome at the range, others are fully prepared to wage a guerilla war if necessary. Whatever the reason, it can be cool and useful to have.
Here in the state of California we have a somewhat diverse climate, ranging from the driest desert in the world to the Redwood Forests in the North Coast. Naturally this calls for several types of camouflage in different areas.
I've collected surplus since high school, and as such I've ended up with quite a few camouflage uniforms. Some of these are more vintage but I do own several to use. Seeing as I have an afternoon free today I want to take some time to discuss some of my favorite patterns and the various parts of my state I use them in.

I've created a map of some of the larger zones in California and labeled them according to which type of pattern I would use in that area. This is only meant to be a very general overview for each area, and is geared more toward the winter months.
CA_Topo_Camo.jpg
I live in the LA area and Southern California is where I do most of my hunting. There's a bit of variety here but for the most part I can get away with wearing deserts pretty much anywhere. I have two desert patterns that I use, they are:

-6-Color Desert
-3-Color Desert

I only have MOPP gear in 6-color, but I like the pattern so much that I'll be getting a fatigue set for general use. The Mojave Desert is very rocky and the 6-color does very well there. The details in the pattern also help it to hide in drier woods in the summer. 3-Color Desert has been my go to for a long time and works well in grassy areas in the mountains.
I find these patterns useful in these areas:

-Mojave Desert
-Low Sierra
-Foothills
-Some parts of the Transverse Ranges
-Coast
-Urban Areas (3-Color Desert)

The mountains in SoCal are very brown at lower elevation and I usually use a desert pattern. Higher up they turn to evergreen forests where I'll use woodland patterns, but I'm rarely ever in those areas for hunting. Woodland patterns are definitely more useful further north. I do have a few woodland patterns however:

-Flecktarn
-AOR2
-M81 Woodland

AOR2 is my current go to for deer hunting in the San Gorgonios. The lighter colors blend very well in the grassy areas around the river. M81 has also been a long time favorite of mine, however I don't own any currently. I only have research experience with flecktarn, however I think it will do very well in some areas. I have a flecktarn parka on the way, I figure anytime I'll need to wear a jacket I'll be in woodlands anyway.
Woodland patterns are most effective in these areas:

-Coastal Mountains
-High Sierra
-Transverse Ranges
-San Diego/Palomar Area
-Northern California
-Bay/Sacramento Area

I'm curious to see what kind of camouflage the rest of you use, post your patterns here.

My favourite camo....whatever is on sale!! :lol:
Same here. Everywhere I hunt has pretty much the same color scheme

I've killed deer, turkeys, etc in hunters orange red plaid, blue jeans, etc. I think most camo is designed to please the human eye more than an animals. Most animals I've encountered were more concerned with movement than camo.

Personally I like the original Realtree pattern and the MO Breakup.

I'm curious to see what kind of camouflage the rest of you use, post your patterns here.

Maybe the Swedish M90 camo could suit your forests ?

TB28bpoh9hlpuFjSspkXXa1ApXa_!!111937824.jpg

There is also a Tan / Desert version

uMUAIf2gtlq8dNSdkk2GZiPHxchCYecrjiIHsYDRsRE.jpg

Personally i like the classsic US Woodland / ERDL. I have this original US mil rain/softshell set in mint condition.

20210219_161708_1024.jpg

..and i like the German WW2 eichenlaub tarnmuster pattern

88108693_o4.jpg

But i mostly mix/use clothes in various shades of green and grey

20210219_161744_1024.jpg

Last edited:
A little OT but (1) won't the spotter get tremendous muzzle blast where he is? :eek: and (2) why does he have a shotgun laying on him? :D
Muzzle blast is good for the skin.. so ive heard :D Hey.. we are vikings !
It looks like they are on the same hight.. the angle of the roof/picture might trick you..
I guess thats his primary weapon on the back.. the MG maybe belongs to the guy taking the pictures ? I have no clue..

View attachment 24698

View attachment 24699

Personally i like the classsic US Woodland / ERDL. I have this original US mil rain/softshell set in mint condition.

View attachment 24701

View attachment 24700

View attachment 24702
Holy cow that M90 desert is one of the coolest patterns I've ever seen, Europeans sure do come up with some cool stuff. Unfortunately it seems to be difficult to get over here. It looks like an improved German Splittertarn. M81 is one of the most effective patterns for dense forests in my opinion, it gets criticized a lot for being too dark but I think that's exactly what makes it work. I've even used it with success in drier environments, that was against people too (airsoft with my brothers).

Same here. Everywhere I hunt has pretty much the same color scheme

I've killed deer, turkeys, etc in hunters orange red plaid, blue jeans, etc. I think most camo is designed to please the human eye more than an animals. Most animals I've encountered were more concerned with movement than camo.

Personally I like the original Realtree pattern and the MO Breakup.
Most animals are color blind, I think certain patterns might help to break up your outline but the color doesn't matter too much. Then again I don't need side saddles and RIS to kill birds either. Personally I do more than just hunt with it too, I find military trousers more comfortable than jeans for training and in the heat and I airsoft too.

Last edited:
Ran down to the surplus store today and picked up a pair of flecktarn trousers to go with the parka I ordered. They only had a few pairs that were all the same size, fortunately it was my size. Maybe just a tad short, they fit more like jeans while I prefer BDUs to be a bit longer so I can blouse them to my boots more easily. They seem to be a heavyweight cotton fabric which feels a lot nicer than the rip-stop we tend to use. They have a zipper too which was surprising, here in the US Military we button our pants.

flecktarn.jpg

Edit: it's 65% wool, the rest polyester. Not a bad blend for colder weather.

Last edited:
My youngest son loves flektarn.

With that said, as for actual camo patterns, natural gear and Ston' camo are my 2 all time favorites.

And like Mike mentioned, I have hunted a lot in nothing more than a field jacket, blue jeans and red/black plaid shirts for years too.

But, camo is supposed to help you blend in.

That could be anything from:
sniper-ghille-suit.jpg

To:
12302122-16x9-xlarge-750x400.jpg

My youngest son loves flektarn.

With that said, as for actual camo patterns, natural gear and Ston' camo are my 2 all time favorites.

And like Mike mentioned, I have hunted a lot in nothing more than a field jacket, blue jeans and red/black plaid shirts for years too.

But, camo is supposed to help you blend in.

That could be anything from:
sniper-ghille-suit.jpg

To:
12302122-16x9-xlarge-750x400.jpg
Yep, blend in.. thats the key.. Even in a SHTF situation.. So keep a "non tactical/camo" set ready too :)

View attachment 24698

View attachment 24699

View attachment 24701

View attachment 24700

View attachment 24702
I read a lengthy article once about the best night time camo, it got into how the lack of UV light effects the cones in the eye's and so on. It "said" the best camo for night ops is the standard U.S. woodland camo. So I obviously have several sets. I also think the U.S. desert diggy cam from the Marine corps is great for the fall around here. I don't have the pic on this phone of me in the woods when all the leaves had fallen but if I was laying on the ground it really blended in, someone wouldn't see me till the BANG and the leaves moved. $.02

O and the Vet that wrote the article was a Marine sniper in Vietnam and the became a sniper instructor. So I'd say it was a good source for the info.

Back