• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Canning

I want to get into canning meat . Then latter veggies and fruits . I have never done this before . It is something I want to learn so I can add to my preps. Plus I think it would be a good skill to have.
Is there a good canning book for a beginner? Are there any tips or recommendations ? Things to avoid .

Sent from my A503DL using Tapatalk

The Ball Blue Book of food preserving is the bible for canning. I've done beef and chicken over the years. I always cold pack. 90 minutes at 10 lbs pressure is pretty standard for meat

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Canning meat seems to be easier to do than canning veggies.
I may be wrong . Seems that there are quite a few more procedures to canning veggitables . I mostly want to do meats from the start where is the best place to get the Ball blue book of canning.

Canning meat seems to be easier to do than canning veggies.
I may be wrong . Seems that there are quite a few more procedures to canning veggitables . I mostly want to do meats from the start where is the best place to get the Ball blue book of canning.

LOL I was going to post the opposite but then I don't have experience canning meat. Some veggies may be more difficult but pickels are very easy especially if you buy the spices already mixed up. They would be good to start with as would some jams.

Good luck and let us know how you make out @46camper

I find pressure canning easier than water bath canning. Everything does not need to be sterile when pressure canning. Just make sure everything is clean.

I dont notice any difference in difficulty between meat and veggies aside from seasoning. All the meat i did came out bland, which ended up not to bad as it made it more versatile.

Some veggies do not hold up well texturally to the canning process.

I just followed the process outlined in the book that came with the canner supplimented with some YT videos.

One year I canned an entire deer. My go too's are potatos, tomatoes and beets.

Deer is one of the meats I plan on canning . If the brother in law decides to butcher a cow this winter. [emoji16][emoji51]he isn't the best butcher I know . So most of the steaks he gives me and some of the roast cut meat will be great to start my canning. None will go to waste.

Chicken canned in broth is pretty good. Tastes like canned chicken from the store. We sterilize the jars in the dishwasher, the raw pack and add broth. The Ball Blue Book is a must have.

Back