• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Don’t buy a Display Shotgun. Wow!

Mick Carlotta

Copper BB
Hi folks,

My wife bought me a Mossberg 590 Shockwave for Christmas. How cool is that? She had trouble finding one here in Atlanta and found one through a relative in Brunswick, GA.

The shotgun had problems right away as I tried to cycle some shells through it. After two erratic shell ejections, it jammed in the back position.

I took the gun apart and found a variety of problems including a damaged screw I couldn’t identify, possible bent parts and plenty of metal shavings.

Link to my youtube vid:

Academy Sports said to bring it into my local store and they will ship it to Mossberg. This gun should have never been sold and I am going to demand it be replaced. Let’s see how Academy/Mossberg responds I will post an update when I know anything.

Michael Carlotta

Bummer. Bough many display/demo guns over the years and never had an issue.

Hope Mossberg makes it right

The little screw you referenced are supposed to go to cover the scope rail holes in top of the gun.

It's apparent that it was not installed on the gun because there is a positive stop on top of it to prevent it from being screwed in too far. So, that's obviously fell out of the little baggy that they come in and somehow managed to get into the receiver, which bent your ejector from the best that I can tell from your video.

"demanding that it be replaced" is probably over the top. And not very likely to occur either.

If it were me, I'd straighten the ejector and screw it back into the gun properly and it should work after that.

You also may ship it back to mossberg yourself directly, and they can return it to you directly. There's no need to have to drive back to where your wife bought it to let them do it unless you are just wanting to go that route.

Mossberg will fix it, but from guessing, that's likely what happened.

It's also a simple fix, but it may would be better to just let the factory do it for you so you know it's done right since it's apparent that you know so little about it.

I always love when new members come on here fussing about such a poor quality product when they themselves don't even know what the parts they're even referring to are called or what they do.

Wow. How is that for a first post on this gun board? Sad luck that things are buggered up. Sorry to hear, and hope it gets resolved for you.

I have to tell you that I bought several different guns that came to me brand-new with metal shavings in the action.

They were not Mossberg’s.

Eventually I simply tore down every brand new gun when I brought it home. I have lost all trust.

Eventually I simply tore down every brand new gun when I brought it home.

THIS! ^^^^^ Treat a firearm like the precision life-saving device it is. I prefer to "ease in" a new or lightly-used gun vs "breaking" it in. Field strip and clean metal and dirt out of the action and smooth rough edges of stampings and castings but NOT the sear, striker, extractors or other parts that are supposed to be "sharp".

Back