• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Looking for some good gun related books.

ripjack13

Resident Sawdust Maker
Staff member
Administrator
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
Does anyone have some recomendations on books about guns. I'm just looking for some good reading material.

Re: Looking for some good books.

Reference. I'm looking to expand my knowledge about all things gun related.
Any caliber. Armorer, gunsmith as well please.
Instead of just buying a bunch of books I never heard I'd rather buy what you guys have read and maybe can offer suggestions for books you need to read too......

When you guys talk about twist ratios and grain amounts and stuff.....I'm lost. So I want to know more.

Go to used bookstores and pick up the out of date Gun Digest books. Lots of solid historical and factual info. The gunsmithing and "customizing" stuff is out of date, but it's very well laid out so you can really understand what it is they are doing, and you will learn. They have Genre, and specific books. Like there's a Handgun book, but there's also a 45acp book. A rifle book, and a varmint gun book, etc. Very cheap way to educate yourself.

Yup, that's the general one. It's like a collection of magazine articles really. Different every year. But the better ones are the ones that are specific to particular guns or types of weapons. The old ones are really fun to check out if you love guns. You know, see what the hot talk was in 1962! Check this Ebay list to get an idea. They all turn up at used book stores in the outdoors/sports section all the time for like $3. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw...+the+45&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

Pick one up at a used book store, and see if you like the format. Then go nuts!

I have found that magazines help too. Just like what you find in the magazine aisle at like WalMart n stuff.

They arent as specific as the Gun Digest, but with some scouring you can find magazines with an article here and ther that will be specific to a firearm or system.

I sometimes look for the ones about certain cartridges. I know i have one here some where that goes through lots of different gr. for 5.56 and 6.8 and chnging upper receivers on the AR to use both.

So you can sometimes find useful stuff that way too in addition to the newest tactical bling! :D

Rossignol said:
I have found that magazines help too. Just like what you find in the magazine aisle at like WalMart n stuff.

They arent as specific as the Gun Digest, but with some scouring you can find magazines with an article here and ther that will be specific to a firearm or system.

I sometimes look for the ones about certain cartridges. I know i have one here some where that goes through lots of different gr. for 5.56 and 6.8 and chnging upper receivers on the AR to use both.

So you can sometimes find useful stuff that way too in addition to the newest tactical bling! :D

For mags I do the library. Same with guitar mags. They all have a 3 or 4 year cycle, if you're lucky! Repeat the same stuff every couple of years, along with the expected "go to buy the latest and greatest!" And like you said Rossignol, there's only one or two articles in there I care about.

Back