• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Troubleshooting

Re: Tacstar Side Saddle Fell Off!!

I can't help you with the screw sizes but I normally use the Blue 242 Loctite when needed. You can use stronger but you will have a hard time removing them again without using some heat.

Or like me go to Velcro!

IMG_0587.jpg

IMG_0582.jpg

Kodiak said:
Or like me go to Velcro!

I've got the 3-Gun Gear Velcro carrier on my 870 and I love it.

Re: New 500 owner question

Yea 3" slugs!! I knew my moss500 could shoot 3 inchers, went to cabelas to find 3" shells and saw Federal 3" rifled magnum slugs for 6.99 for a 5 pack. I was reluctant to shoot one but decided to try. Loaded 1 in, pulled the trigger and BOOM!!! That sucker stung my hand bad!! I had my pistol grip on that time, never again... Went shooting another time and put the butt stock on, shot a 3" slug. It wasn't as bad with the butt stock but sure had one hell of a kick.

With a pistol grip?!?!?!? You're braver than I am.

Hahaha mike. I'm very new to shotguns. I guess you can say I'm in my "experimental" stage of using a shotgun. Lessoned learned though lol. Pistol Grip + 3" Magnum Slug = Pain
I just been shooting the ol mossy 500, getting to know my shotgun real well and having fun doing it. I like trying different types of shot in my barrel, makes me feel good knowing she cand stand some hard hitters like 3" magnum slugs. I was using just pistol grip, switched to butt stock... May switch back to pistol grip this weekend just to shoot around with it for a while...

I called Tacstar, they SAID they would send me out 6 new screws. The girl on the other line said she would call back if her "boss" had to charge me. It's now 3:47pm and no call. Hopefully they will come through so I can get my Mossberg back into action this week. YEA!!

Re: Mossy 500 unlock on firing

Very good post indeed!!! I have run into that same thing and when I was young had the same thoughts of I must have a problem. Then I slowed down and looked at the dynamics of what was going on. When you pull the trigger, hammer falls, and then the locking bolt drops down disengaging the bolt from the breech. If you think about it you can make this energy work for you. It's nothing but a timing thing and what I'm saying is, allow this energy to work in your favor as the inital extraction of the spent shell. Instead of pushing the slide forward, RELAX and allow that energy to work and then your arm glides with that energy in the cylce process of loading another round. Next time you go to the range and you fire 3" or some kind of magnum round, experiment.

If you think about one other issue most everyone thinks of is the felt recoil. Well here again you are allowing the firearm to ASSIMILATE some of the felt recoil just in the act of detonation of the round and initail extraction process instead of 100% of that energy being transferred backwards to the shoulder. All of this happens in a blink of the eye and once you get use to the timing then you become one with your firearm. You want be so trigger and recoil sensitive then either. Just my .02.

I put locktite on my 4 shell, I used the blue.

Just a drop on each screw, be as careful as possible that it isnt over done and drip into the receiver. With the locktite on each screw, run them in, check the action to be certain the trigger group screw isnt over tightened cuz once its set up it will be difficult to back off!

So let it set up over night, 24 hours, whatever... the box has the cure time on it, maybe its only 4 hours? Heck, I cant remember...

Dude, gettin tired. Shoulda been in bed long ago, so I cant tell how coherent my post is and I refuse to proof read.

Night! :D

WHOA!! There was rust on my barrel & magazine!!!

So I went shooting one day for about 3 hours. It was like 90 degrees outside and I'm sure my sweaty hands touched every part of my barrel and magazine. But surely that cannot be the sole reason why I pulled my shotgun from under the bed and there was RUST on my gun!! The rust was a like a light film, nothing too heavy. But it made me feel uneasy like I did something wrong lol. Why the hell would there light surface rust on my barrel & magazine? I don't understand! Am I suppose to wipe down my gun after I'm done using it? Also, where the rust was it looked like it "pitted" a little bit. I may not be using the correct term but where the rust was it looks like very small holes. Very very small. Can someone tell me what's going on?

I was going shooting this weekend, so I went and picked up another 6 shot saddle from cabelas. If Tacstar really does send me the screws ill just prolly save up for another moss500.

Re: WHOA!! There was rust on my barrel & magazine!!!

Do you have air conditioning? It could be possible goin from hot out side to cool inside, there may be enough condensation to cause what youre seein. Especially on the floor where the air would be even cooler. The fix would be to wipe it down and make sure there is a light film of oil on it.

Thats a theory anyhow...

Do you wipe everything down with oil after cleaning, have you cleaned or oiled the gun previously, the barrel and magazine tube that is?

Any pics of what youre lookin at or have you cleaned it already?

Do you store it in a gun case? The foam and material in most gun cases can hold moisture and can cause rusting when stored.

You could also have a high level of humidity in your house.

It never hurts to just wipe them down and apply a very light film of oil when you are done using them.

Brookelynngreen said:
So I went shooting one day for about 3 hours. It was like 90 degrees

Am I suppose to wipe down my gun after I'm done using it?

Can someone tell me what's going on?

Heat + moisture (especially salty moisture like sweat) + steel = oxidation/rust

Not so much off-topic , anybody use Silicone Gun and Reel cloth to wipe the finish ? I use kleen bore's
It's suppose to wipe away finger smears and protect against rust ?

Texas_Made said:
Not so much off-topic , anybody use Silicone Gun and Reel cloth to wipe the finish ? I use kleen bore's
It's suppose to wipe away finger smears and protect against rust ?

Yes, I use Hoppes silicone gun cloth.

I just wipe 'em down with a patch soaked in Barricade...

Texas_Made said:
Rossignol said:
Yes, I use Hoppes silicone gun cloth.

Do you use it on your 590A1's finish ? I use it on my matte finish

Sure do!

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
I just wipe 'em down with a patch soaked in Barricade...

I know not of this barricade of which you speak?

Surely you jest...

These Barricade Rust Protection products from Birchwood Casey rapidly drive out moisture from metal pores and deposit a transparent coating which seals the surface with a protective film. The soft, thin anti-rust film fills all crevices, penetrates and lubricates. Barricade has passed 7 day salt-fog test by accredited testing laboratories. Can also be used in rifle bores as a cleaner and rust protectant. Available in 4.5 oz spout can (liquid) or 10 oz aerosol can.

Barricade also comes in these handy individual Take-Along gun cloths (5 x 8) impregnated with Barricade Rust Protection and sealed in foil packets for convenient carrying.

Back