• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Problem with Reciever

I was going over my mossberg's internals last night checking for anything out of the ordinary and I found a small chip on the receiver where it meets the top of the bolt (looking down into the reciever w/trigger assembly pointed upward). It's a deep enough nick to feel with my finger and when I move the bolt forward it contacts that spot. It's scratching the top of the bolt now. Should I be worried ? It still chambers and ejects fine. I will get pictures up soon.

Like these ?
IMG_0758.jpg

Your reciever is aluminum.....your bolt is steel , doubt your damaging the steel with the aluminum

No but I have it and have run into it before. Somewhere something in the manufacture process allows this to happen. Mossberg QC is way down from years past. It does create a little drag at first but bottom line it is fully functional and the steel bolt will wear into the aluminum receiver, as long as the bolt face locks up you should be fine. If you detect cracks all bets are off.

It is ugly and tells you a little something about how much Mossberg cares....kinda like Winchester ammo, I won’t be buying either till I see a big change unless it is a Mossberg from the 90's or older.

Yes, it looks like that smaller circular one towards the ejection port in your photo. I'll have to double check but I think it's in that same very spot. Glad to see I'm not the only one with this issue. Very glad it's not something to panic over.

Back