• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 185KA 20ga Bolt Action

Here's a nice old 20ga shotgun. I believe the gun was new around 1954. When I was a teenager, or about 42 years ago, my father gave this to me. It was blued steel with an oiled stock. I used it to hunt birds and rabbits. Eventually, I retired it to a gun case for years, since I didn't hunt much. In the 70's, I decided to have it refinished. The metal parts went to a chrome shop. The barrel, receiver, was black chromed. The bolt action and trigger were bright chromed. It turned out beautifully, and almost looks like a semi-gloss black plastic. I refinished the stock using TruOil, and it turned out nicely.

This gun has the ported barrel, C-Lect Choke, and uses a 2 shot removable (rifle style) magazine.

Mossberg3.jpg

Mossberg2.jpg

Mossberg1.jpg

I need to get a few more close-ups of the receiver, bolt, and magazine.

I'm jealous...That...is beautiful. I know what I want for Christmas...

Thanx for posting it up! Did I mention it's beautiful?

I like it!
I wonder if I could work the bolt fast enough to hit skeet pairs :?

Thanks for the comments.

ripjack13 - I think you are about 55 years late on your wish list. :D (unless there's a used one available).

LTB45 - Maybe you could, if you practice a lot. Look at what Oswald did with his Italian Carcano. ;)

Y'all know how some people diss the polymer trigger guards on the current 500's? Well, guess what kind of trigger guard this old gun has on it? Yep, plastic (the old name for polymer), or maybe bakelite. It's still in great shape too.

Nope. I'm not late. I like used guns. They're already broken in. Not to mention I like refinishing them. I wanted a bolt action for a while now. I had the Mossberg 4x4 on my wishlist. But now that I see yours....I want that instead. :)

I had this old gun out of the case this afternoon to check it out. I took a few more pictures to add to what I've posted before. I love this old gun.

DSCN0049.jpg

DSCN0053.jpg

DSCN0045.jpg

DSCN0043.jpg

DSCN0040.jpg

DSCN0054.jpg

DSCN0039.jpg

DSCN0038.jpg

I've refinished a few of these 185's- I'm partial to 20ga. This is the best I have ever seen.
Enjoy it- they are great shooters. BTW- yes you can shoot skeet, but you have to be fast and the gun has to feed perfectly. Magazine adjustment is a real pain to get it just right. If feed is good-don't try to play with it!

Thanks ladytech. This old gun still works just fine. It's far from being worn out. The gun never was used a lot. Not sure, but I'd estimate less than 20 boxes of shells through it. It feeds well without any problems. It would have been nice if there were larger capacity magazines available for these. I guess there was no need when they were built, and with 2+1, they had hunting capacity.

Don't worry about using it- I've put 1000's of rounds thru mine
and it still works as good as new. I guess it is just about "broken in" LOL.
Just keep it clean- it will last forever.

Back