• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Troubleshooting

Re: Lube question from newbie

wiping the steel parts down with an oily rag is the extent of it for me.
There aren't many moving components and most of those are run by you.

Fronty Owner said:
most of those are run by you.

These are the parts that I do put a light coat of grease on.
The elevator pivot points.
The sides of the bolt slide.
The action bars.
All metal to metal contact points.

The slicker the action the better I like it in the field hunting.

Thank for all the great suggestions. I will experiment with what works best for me by trying a couple different options.

500 FTE

Hello Mossberg Owners ! I have an issue that I am hoping someone can help me out with. I bought my 500 back in the 80s mostly for deer hunting in Southern Michigan. It came with the bird barrel and for something like $5 I was able to also purchase the CYl bore 18" slug barrel. Well , that short slug barrel would knock the snot out of me every time I touched it off so I never did use the gun that much. I never used the bird barrel except for a few trap sessions.
Then my son got me into duck hunting and I started putting some magnum loads into the bird barrel. Immediately I had troubles with extraction. I removed the bird barrel and compared it side by side with the slug barrel. It looks like there is not enough space fore the extractor to grab the rim on the bird barrel. I think that the extractor cut was not done correctly. It looks like I need to file it a bit deeper. Has anyone heard of this issue before ? For all you "chamber polishers" out there I have been down that road. That chamber is as slick as they come. The trap loads run fine but anything with high brass gets stuck. Also, everything extracts just fine from the slug barrel so I doubt it is the extractors. I have looked them over and they look just fine. I even called Mossberg to see if they had a run of bad barrels back then but they where of NO help! If I can not get this taken care of I am going to have to buy another barrel. But since I am broke I am hoping someone can shed some light on this first. Thanks, NH

Hi All, I just signed up today...
I have a New Haven 600AT (Mossy 500). The front tabs on the trigger housing broke off. I need a replacement and I believe I have an "old style" trigger assembly because the trigger assembly from my new mossberg 500 wont completely seat. There are slight differences in the housing including the front tab area. My serial # begins with "H".

Does this mossy need an "old style" trigger assembly? and if so, where can I find a new or used assembly?

Can this mossy be smithed to use a "new style" assembly?

BTW this was my first shotgun...i liked it so much that I bought a 500 combo and a Mav 88 security within the last year...i would really like to fix Sheila..uh, I mean it :)

Any help is appreciated

Welcome to Mossberg Owners Cerv76!!!

The place to call or check with is Havlin Sales!
http://havlinsales.com

Youll find contact info on their site and youre always welcome to call!!! Tell Cheryl and Victor Mossberg Owners says hello!

Thanks! I already called them and they have no old style trigger assemblies in stock...that said, I cant order an assembly because I dont know if its an old style or not....can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks

Ahhh, I see. This I dont know. I wonder if they could tell you by running the serial number?

.410 24"cyl bore barrel w/ FO sights

I called Mossberg today to find out if there were any accessory options for my .410 Pistol Grip Cruiser model.. they advised that they do have a 24" VR cylinder bore barrel with front and rear fiber optic sights. They said this is the only other barrel they make for this model.

I'm new to shotguns, but isn't a cylinder bore for close range due to it's lack of rifling? My .410 Cruiser has a 18.5 cyl bore barrel on it now, and I planned on switching to the Bantam buttstock eventually. That being said, would I be able to use the 24" vr barrel with a cyl bore and dual sights for target at the range once I switch my stock out to a real buttstock? What is a 24"vr cyl bore barrels real purpose, especially with rifle style sights? Is this really the only other barrel available for this model?

Lain

Re: .410 24"cyl bore barrel w/ FO sights

I am most familiar with the 12/20 guage models so I'm not sure this applies to 410's or not.

Depending on the gun and the load you can usually expect to be able to hit a man/deer sized target at 50 to 100 yards with rifled sligs and a cyl bore barrel. You may have to experiment with this to tune it.

With any type of shot the cyl bore is generally considered a close range weapon because the shot pattern will expand quickly.

There are places that will drill your barrel for choke tubes. Not sure if they do this for a 410, you will have to inquire.

It would help if we knew a little more about what you are planning to do with the gun. When you say target practice at the range are you talking about shooting slugs? Skeet? trap? or something else completely?

Surprised since I have a Mossberg .410 that came with a Fixed FULL Choke barrel.

Thanks for the reply Mike D...
This is my first shotgun, so I plan to just shoot it at targets at the range, shooting slugs and experimenting with different types of bird/buckshot, just to see what it can do. I am still very much in a learning phase. I also bought the PDX1 Defender Loads so I can also use it for HD in it's current configuration (PG w/ 18.5 barrel)

I was hoping by removing the grip and putting on a longer barrel, I could use this as a trap and skeet training tool.
I am NOT shooting any trap and skeet right now.

I wanted to change the pistol grip to the Bantam butt stock, and change to a longer sighted barrel. This way I could practice target shooting, and once I get better, maybe I will get something more suitable for trap and skeet.. right now I am just shooting paper, and learning safe handling, operation and accuracy, but I was hoping to change it up a bit with the accessories I mentioned.

Will the 24" vr cyl bore barrel be any good for shooting paper? It does have the FO sights on it..

Lain

LTB45 said:
Surprised since I have a Mossberg .410 that came with a Fixed FULL Choke barrel.

What model do you have? Mine is the 6 shot pistol grip Cruiser..I think although they may MAKE the different .410 models with a few diff. barrels, that they may not sell all those barrels as an accessory.. they said the one I mentioned above is the only one available.

.410 is the most difficult gauge to shoot skeet with and it is NEVER used for Trap except maybe in a fun type of situation.
As for sights for shooting flying targets Bead sights are what are used on VR barrles.
Cylinder bore is fine for shooting Skeet targets.
Mine is Full and it makes it even harder to hit, one of the reasons that I like the gun.
On a trap field, you may have/will have a difficult time hitting targets flying away from you with a Cylinder choke on a .410.

If you really want to get into Bustin' Clays then your best bet would be 12ga. It is the most popular guage used in all of the games.
Remeber though, as long as you are having fun, then that is all that matters.

LTB45 said:
.410 is the most difficult gauge to shoot skeet with and it is NEVER used for Trap except maybe in a fun type of situation.
As for sights for shooting flying targets Bead sights are what are used on VR barrles.
Cylinder bore is fine for shooting Skeet targets.
Mine is Full and it makes it even harder to hit, one of the reasons that I like the gun.
On a trap field, you may have/will have a difficult time hitting targets flying away from you with a Cylinder choke on a .410.

If you really want to get into Bustin' Clays then your best bet would be 12ga. It is the most popular guage used in all of the games.
Remeber though, as long as you are having fun, then that is all that matters.

Thanks for the input..like I said, I am not planning on using this for trap or skeet.. I am using it as a training tool, since I never had a shotgun before. I am shooting paper at the range. I simply would like more options besides the pistol grip and 18.5 barrel it came with, and was wondering if the Bantam stock with 24" vr dual sight cyl bore barrel would be better for target shooting with paper..

I'll make my question simpler, since there seems to be some confusion: If I change the 18.5 cyl bore barrel to the 24 VR cyl bore barrel w sights, and change the PG to a Bantam buttstock, realistically what can I use this shotgun for?

Mine is simply Model 500E
24" VR barrel with bead sights.
The mag tube on mine holds 5, 2 1/2" shells. +1 in the pipe.

If yours holds 6 in the mag tube then the barrel lug is located further down the barrel and would not be compatible with the barrel on my gun.

"If I change the 18.5 cyl bore barrel to the 24 VR cyl bore barrel w sights, and change the PG to a Bantam buttstock, realistically what can I use this shotgun for?"

Realistictly you ask?
I shoot Skeet with mine.
Some hunt squirrels.
Considering that I have guns for every posible use, this was more of a fun purchase for me, actually got it for the wife for Christmas to increase the difficulty of shooting Skeet for both of us.

Could I hunt with this? Probably but I have MANY better choices in my safe.
Could I use this for HD? Probably but again I have MANY better choices and this would be last on a long list.

I find that shotguns have a couple TRUE purposes, at least for me. Shooting paper is only for patterning where my shot pattern goes (hardly ever do this). I hunt Birds, Live and the Orange kind that shatter.
Anything that flies DIES with a shotgun.

I would deffinately get a stock for your gun. Accuracy will improve greatly.

LTB45 said:
Mine is simply Model 500E
24" VR barrel with bead sights.
The mag tube on mine holds 5, 2 1/2" shells. +1 in the pipe.

If yours holds 6 in the mag tube then the barrel lug is located further down the barrel and would not be compatible with the barrel on my gun.

Actually mine holds 5 in tube, with one in chamber also when using 2 1/2" shells. When I said 6, I meant in total.. so maybe the barrels would be compatible after all. Maybe some day I will come across one to try and see if it fits..

Again, thx for the input

Lain

Hi Lain! You know that .410 I mentioned my daughter usin? Its a 24" vent rib barrel and she uses 3 dot (rifle styled) FO sights from TruGlo. It is how ever a fixed full choke barrel. We hunt bird and she got a quail before I did last year with it.

We do alot of target shooting with it. My daughter especially like 00 and 000 buck. She uses target loads like a 8, 7, or 6 shot for hand thrown clays.

Now, if OFM says they only have a cylinder bore available in 24", I dunno, I would ask about barrels of other 5 shot models, that is if youd want somethin like the full choke, but it will like come with dual beads rather than the FO's.

Also, as for the PDX, I'd say its worth comparing it to other loads, like Federal's 000 handgun loads. The only thing I dislike about the PDX is the other shot thats in it. I just dont like the flyers, the stray pellets wanderin off target.

I dont do the kind of shootin LTB does, so with regard to sport shootin, I'll defer to his experience, but I'll say its def been a very enjoyable firearm and once you have the bantam stock, I think youll find it remaining among your favorites for a very long time to come!

Back