• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

The troubled history but bright future of the 930 SPX

Just a quick question for all of you. I held a 930 the other day again and it has grown on me. Like all other guns I am curious about I research a lot and from many different sources. What is a bit concerning is when i do a Mossber 930 SPX search, all I see are the QC issues, canted front sight this, loose trigger assembly that, etc. However, I noticed many of these threads were years out dated. With it being 2012 and a handful years down the road since its release, have all the quirks and QC issues been resolved? Or are there a majority of people still having problems? The 930 I held seemed to aim true, although I did not closely inspect the gun.

I ask, because I have been saving up for a shotgun and I am just about there and could pick a 930 or a 590A1, and kind of am digging the 930 a bit more.

I've got a 930 Tactical that's been problem free from the start.

However, I hang out here in the 930 section quite a bit and there are still a host of current issues centered around the SPX models...

Until OFM finally decides to do several things, the 930 SPX is going to have issues. Among these are:
1. Get serious about QC
2. Get serious about fixing the problems that 930 SPX owners have in terms of customer service
3. Get serious about making a truly capable fighting shotgun and not diluting their efforts with zombie crap, game guns, and flat out goofy ideas
4. Deal with the known issues and problems that have been problems with the platform from the very beginning
If they can do those, the platform can be very capable, and an incredible value out of the box in the autoloader market. Until then, it is going to continue to be looked down upon by the rest of the shotgun market, with very good reason.
I like my 930 SPX. But I have had to learn how to improve it, and what to watch for. If I had to do it again, I would buy the HD version and build my own out of quality parts.

^This is all quite unfortunate, I feel as though Mossberg could have really done well for themselves (well at least better, I know a lot of people have these shotguns) if they would have just got it right the first time around, or the second they saw issues addressed them efficiently and accurately. I feel as though this shotgun will keep on reminding me of the "what ifs and thats" too much for me to be comfortable and confident in the weapon. YMMV, so I guess it is the 590a1 winning the race for now.

m24shooter said:
Until OFM finally decides to do several things, the 930 SPX is going to have issues. Among these are:
1. Get serious about QC
2. Get serious about fixing the problems that 930 SPX owners have in terms of customer service
3. Get serious about making a truly capable fighting shotgun and not diluting their efforts with zombie crap, game guns, and flat out goofy ideas
4. Deal with the known issues and problems that have been problems with the platform from the very beginning
If they can do those, the platform can be very capable, and an incredible value out of the box in the autoloader market. Until then, it is going to continue to be looked down upon by the rest of the shotgun market, with very good reason.
I like my 930 SPX. But I have had to learn how to improve it, and what to watch for. If I had to do it again, I would buy the HD version and build my own out of quality parts.
M24, That is what I did, I got the HD version and just pieced it together with the parts to make it a SPX. The problems I had where with the SPX barrel, the spring was not seated properly and scarred the mag tube, and the other problem was with the SPX mag spring. I switched back to the shorter HD spring and not had a problem since. One forum member had a post about polishing the opening of the barrel to eliminate FTE's in which I did and after 400+ rounds no problems yet, I still won't trust my life on it.

Re: Mossberg 930 SPX Lemon??

snakdoc said:
Well I just sent back my brand new mossberg 930 shotgun for warrenty work. Just bought this firearm last friday and already had to send it back. Nothing but problems so far. Had to call mossberg 8/13 reg a magazine spring that was bad. Gun would only load 5 rounds of 2 3/4 shells. Mossberg sent out new spring this week.Then on thursday this week I took the gun apart to do a detail cleaning only to find horrible deep scratches underneth the gas piston on barrel. Called mossberg today spoke to david who was a great help. Said that I would have to send in my firearm for them to replace the factory magazine tube and replace the coil spring/and piston assembly. Sent out today should have back in a few weeks. I am hoping that this shotgun comes back better than it left. I fell like I bought a lemon. I have spent 700.00 on this firearm and haven't even shot it yet and it's already being sent back. I am keeping my fingers crossed for good things to come out of this.

P.S- Has anyone else had the problems with marks on magazine tube from piston assmebly and had to send your gun back to mossberg???????????

I had the deep scratches too. Sent it in and they sent me a new gun.

Re: Mossberg 930 SPX Lemon??

snakdoc said:
P.S- Has anyone else had the problems with marks on magazine tube from piston assmebly and had to send your gun back to mossberg???????????

Unfortunately that is a common issue. I myself have not had this issue which seems to be more prevalent in the SPX model (or it could be that more seem to buy that then the other models.)

My 930 (waterfowl edition) has been the most reliable semi-auto shotgun I've ever owned.

What "Generation"

From time to time, while reading through the posts, I come across someone mentioning the "generation" of their SPX. I remember numbers 1 through 3 having been brought up. So:

1) Is there a generation 4? If so, is it the latest?

2) How does one tell its generation? By serial number? If so, what are the change-over points?

3) If not by serial number, is there some form of marking on the gun or its box?

Re: What "Generation"

MikeD said:
I think this is what you are looking for:

The info is already in another thread so I will not repeat it but here is a link:

http://www.mossbergowners.com/viewt...ilit=Differences+in+the+930+SPX+barrels#p8709

Thanks! The post was quite informative. I made a phone call to Mossberg's tech dept about this very question. The guy stated that he had worked at Mossberg for "many years" and that they had no catagory of "generations." Changes come along for time to time without regard to a catagory of change, or time. Any designation of a generation is dreamed up and applied by the public. I thought about asking for Mossberg to create a "time-line" of changes data site on their web, but this guy seemed to be bored with me, so I left it. However, I think I will try to press them to publish just such a time designated sheet; ie. 01/01/20,000 BC, model 930 spx offered; 12/30/0033 AD, heavy barrel installed; 10/10/1999, Blackwater Security implicated in overseas murders - trade name adopted into Mossberg line; etc. :lol:

930 SPX, GEN 1 vs GEN3

What is different about the 1st and newer generations? I know there is a thicker barrel but what else?
Thanks!

New 930 SPX- Not Happy!!!

Hi all,

Well, I was real excited last week. Found a 930 SPX through a LE dealer- Only one he had. He praised the 930 and went on about how good they are and how well they sell.

It is a 930 SPX with GRS and pistol grip stock. Had it shipped to my PD. I received her yesterday. I was so exited when I opened the box. What a nice feeling shotgun!!!! What a nice authoritative looking shotgun!!!! I had heard and read Internet stories about the QC issues with the 930 and that they were a thing of the past.

Well, I am here to tell ya- There are still problems. My excitement and happiness turned into disappointment and frustration. Go figure, my born on "10/2011" 930 had a slightly canted front sight, loose trigger group, slightly bent mag. extension and I could not get 7th rd.of Remington 00 buck in the magazine (we have 1.5K of issue Remington ammo-this is a problem). I contacted the dealer. He said he would take it back, but did not have a replacement, nor any soon. I contacted Mossberg. Spoke to "Roger" (I believe someone mentioned Roger before- Roger was some what of a tool!!!) I was calm and cordial. I explained that we were LE and the problems we had with the 930. I was asked the usual questions (serial number etc) and I happened to state "not that I believe everything on the Internet, but I did see that these were common problems lately with 930's" The reply was swift and he sounded annoyed " Those problems have been fixed". I wasn't going to get into a pissing match, but I did calmly with a nice reply "well, apparently they haven't been fixed Sir". I was advised "send the shotgun in and they would look at it". I then replied" Send me a shipping label and I will send it in". He replied "a shipping label will be sent to your address- Give me your address!" (I did that already twice- but I didn't say anything). I gave him the PD address. End of "phone call" story.

Soooooo I didn't even shoot her. I really want to like her and hope Mossberg makes good on it. I am debating on calling the supervisor of customer service. The more and more I think about the way I was treated and talked to, the more and more I am getting annoyed. I would never get away with treating a complainant like that. I am patiently waiting for the return order and will keep you informed of my experience. Guess "Old Rog" had a bad day or someone pissed in his WHEATIES. Still may call and complain. What do you guys think??????

Re: New 930 SPX- Not Happy!!!

Sorry to see you're having issues.

There are no excuses for the lack of QC and I certainly wouldn't stand for being treated poorly. If you decide to call, the CS supervisor I've worked with in the past is Javier Contreras. He's helped out a lot of members around here and will see to it that your issues get sorted out...

Yes Sir,

Good luck and keep us posted. If you're interested, Dan will be personally delivering letters from our membership to Mossberg at the upcoming SHOT show. Here's the thread he started...

Letters to Mossberg...

It frustrates me to see that these same issues have still yet to be resolved. I hope that OFM CS can make it right for you. Don't give up, the 930 is one great gun and I've got the turkey fans to prove it. :D

As LES said Javier has helped quite a few here.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience and hope Mossberg takes care of the issues quickly so you can start enjoying your 930.
Not to thread jack but is there anyone else that is having a problem with Remington 00 Buck and not getting 7 in the tube? I just bought a case of the Rem LE Reduced Recoil 2-3/4 00 Buck and the 7th shell will not go in the tube on my 930 SPX either...it does not miss by much of making it but it will not go in and catch. Just curious..

compact45 said:
Sorry to hear about your bad experience and hope Mossberg takes care of the issues quickly so you can start enjoying your 930.
Not to thread jack but is there anyone else that is having a problem with Remington 00 Buck and not getting 7 in the tube? I just bought a case of the Rem LE Reduced Recoil 2-3/4 00 Buck and the 7th shell will not go in the tube on my 930 SPX either...it does not miss by much of making it but it will not go in and catch. Just curious..

That's a common problem. Not all ammo is the same length, there is enough of a variance that when compounded over 6-7 rounds can cause this to occur. It can sometimes be corrected by trimming the magazine spring or filing off the follower (depending on the design.) or just changing ammo. You will need to play with it a little to work it out. There are several threads here addressing this issue.

Yea...also sorry to hear about the problem with the gun and CS...hang in there buddy, I'm sure Mossberg will make it right !!

Keep us in the loop...

Back