• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

AR-15 and Variants

Status
Not open for further replies.
C'est fait.

7977898928_24b69ed5da_b.jpg

7977896381_a848b0563a_b.jpg

7977898155_5feabbda49_b.jpg

PSA came through! I have the fat mid-length boxed up and ready to go.
Now just to head space it and get a little time for a range trip.

Man, thats so cool! Nice work, cannt wait to hear back how it goes and what she thinks of it!

Rossignol said:
Man, thats so cool! Nice work, cannt wait to hear back how it goes and what she thinks of it!
The only thing I got out of her tonight was its heavy... :lol:
I will report back ASAP, May not be for a few weeks, There have been shooting restrictions all summer.

I bet shell like it whaen she sit down with it rested and shoot! ;)

Its cool man, we'll be here!

That's really cool. Where did you find that dust cover?

What's the deal with 16 inch 308 barrels

I have talked to so many people, face to face and on the internet, who say a 16 inch barreled m1a or FAL creates a loud boom and a giant fireball even with a flash hider. Personally me, I like 18 inch barrels for my 308 semi auto rifles. I think they balance very nice. But the problem is, after I hear people talk down a 16 inch barreled 308 they go out and by a SCAR 17 or AR10 with 16 inch barrel and say it works for that rifle but not the others. WTF??? I don't care if you want an 11 inch barrel or 30 inch barrel, whatever floats your boat, but how can one rifle with a 16 inch barrel be different from another? How loud it is shouldn't be different. The "excessive," as I have heard it called, fireball produced would be the same since the powder is still burning at the same rate. Am I missing something here? Sorry for the rant, I just been hearing it a lot lately and trying to understand what, if anything, is different.

GR00VY

Re: What's the deal with 16 inch 308 barrels

Don't see why it would be too much different from one platform to another either.

Maybe the tacticool factor eliminates some of the noise and burns powder faster. In any case, it looks like our military is looking to replace the M110 with a shorter, lighter designated marksman rife and rumor has it they're considering a 16" barreled 7.62...

Yaeh I have a feeling the tacticool factor has a lot to do with it as well. I don't mind a 16 inch 308 barrel myself. I am just partial to 18 inch. It is rigid and allows for most of the powder to burn. I am sure that also depends on powder used.

I have a 16" .308, no problem with sound, handles great. I think the 16" is internet rumor by most people that don't have one but knows a guy that does. It sounds believable and it gets their post count up. The SCAR does not apply because it has a cool name, it is tacticool and therefore is by default a great gun that can defy the 16" so called shortcommings. Especially by people that spend that serious coin will never admit to any shortcommings. I also have a M1A1 and both of these .308's kick the same, sound the same and if I feed them identical ammo they breath fire the same for the most part.
IMG_1740.jpg

Nice looking rifle :) How accurate is it? BTW I am not asking because it is a 16 inch barrel :lol: I am asking because I have about a grand in my gun money saved up and am looking for another 308 rifle. I am torn between 762x39 or 308. I am leaning toward 308 because I think the round is better performing the than the 39 and I have 308 rifles, so no new caliber is necessary.

I have not put a scope on it so I can't accurately say what MOA it is. I shoot it at the iron sillouette range where a pig at 400 yards and a turkey at 300 yards is not a problem with the iron sights. I was in the same dilemma you are facing about 308 vs x39. I only reload 308 rifle rounds and have many guns both gas and bolt in that caliber. But I now have two x39 gas guns because I can shoot them for .21 cents a round and I can shoot MANY more rounds due to the lower recoil so the x39 is more of a "fun gun". I am going to a 500 round carbine class tomorrow and 308 would not be a fun or inexpensive day of training.

The 308's are my serious guns for hunting and defense if ever needed. And I too believe it to be a better performer than x39. I will not own a 556 caliber because I believe the x39 to be better for what I like in a round as far as power, performance and cost when it comes to a fun gun.

Did you buy it like that or have it done for you? Finding them with the muzzle device is hard to find and is usually custom work.

GR00VY said:
Did you buy it like that or have it done for you? Finding them with the muzzle device is hard to find and is usually custom work.

It is a custom gun by the master AK builder. Jim Fuller of rifle dynamics. Current wait time for this will run you about 15 months. http://www.rifledynamics.com/. There are other custom guys but Jim is here in Vegas so I just drive 10 min andi am there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back