• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Deer Season 2012

Re: My First Bruiser Buck.

MikeD said:
You need not worry about losing any rep points!!!

That guy is a monster, extra kudos on the reloads. Super extra bonus if you were wearing the Motorhead t-shirt at the time!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That has to help make up for the truck/ATV problems you've had.

Congrats Sir, all I've seen so far are does at a distance and a few turkeys.

Do i get any rep points for my teddy bear boxer shorts i was wearing at the time hahahahaha? Thanx Mike. I hadn't been seeing anything for 2 weeks up to this point. Not even a doe or fawn. We went out this weekend and camped and didn't see anything either. This upcoming weekend i'm gone for 9 days hunting. Hoping to get an elk, moose or a whitetail. Even if i don't get anything else this season i have no regrets.

[/quote]But hey Gary, I'm really interested in any pre-planning you did before going into a wilderness type hunt. It's a little more difficult than what a lot of people do.[/quote]

Paul.
I usually used a tent with a stove that was towed in a trailer behind my truck. I had to work this day and had to call in that i was going to be late as i work afternoons starting at 3.00pm so i just had a small pack on my back with a knife, camera etc. Earlier this year i made a box with wheels on it so i could walk in to this area with a small spike camp. It's all up hill for 40 mins. This area starts right in town in a residential area. I like to be in my spot before light which means a long walk in the dark to get there. So i was thinking when i made this box was to bring the bare essentials depending on how long i was going for. I made it for only a weekend and long weekend hunts. So, a small tent, sleeping bag, small cook stove, lantern/flashlight for starters. If you are planning to go camp in a certain area that requires hiking into, i would say bring a chainsaw when you go in during the summer if you are scouting or just going to check the area out and cut your firewood ahead of time and tarp it. Another thing you could do that i'm thinking of doing is strapping some poles together to make a small shelter that i can enclose with a tarp. Then you wont need to pack in a tent. I also have instructions on how to make a wood stove out of a 45 gallon drum that i can send you. I made one for my tent. All you need is a jig saw and a drill. No welding required. I think i posted that here a while ago? This area where i got this guy? I never see any hunters in there. Some guys are just too lazy to walk and the deer aren't pressured. I'm in Canada and i do know your laws are different and vary from state to state in America. I hunt on crown land and not private property so i can go build shacks and camps and blinds wherever i want to. I hope this helps you a bit and if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Gary Murray said:
Do i get any rep points for my teddy bear boxer shorts i was wearing at the time hahahahaha?

We have a saying here, what happens in deer camp STAYS in deer camp. :eek: :shock: :lol: :lol: LOL

MikeD said:
Gary Murray said:
Do i get any rep points for my teddy bear boxer shorts i was wearing at the time hahahahaha?

We have a saying here, what happens in deer camp STAYS in deer camp. :eek: :shock: :lol: :lol: LOL
I'll take that as a no then lol.

Gary Murray said:
MikeD said:
Gary Murray said:

I'll take that as a no then lol.

Well, it would require proof, and I'm not going there...... LOL

Hahaha Mike.
Paul. Another must have if you are back there a ways is a plastic sled for dragging out your game. You don't need to run down to Cabelas and buy one for over a $100.00. I went to one of our stores here called Canadian Tire and got a 6 footer for less than $20.00. I threaded nylon rope up each side with the help of a drill to give it strength and even pulling. Here's a pic of mine ripped to shreds after hauling this guy out. Usually they last a long time as i've used this sled to retrieve many a deer but nothing of this size. Plus it was all rock and gravel i was dragging him on and the sled was filling up making the drag a lot heavier.
000_0001-1.jpg

The cheapo kiddie sleds work great and don't break the bank.

With the least bit of snow a simple tarp works pretty good too. Anything to lessen the drag resistence.

I have a jet sled that I use for ice fishing that does the trick as well, though it works much better in the snow.

Yea, I have one of those I made up too. But trying to drag it uphill through Brush, rocks etc just proved ridiculas. It was easier to just pick the deer up. Granted, it didn't weigh anywhere near what your bad boy did though.

I am going to get a camping permit for our National Forest where I hunt. With all of the dry brush and lack of rain, they probably won't allow me to build a fire though. So dried foods are probably on my list this time around. I am slowly hauling in the necessities. Water is next because the river that normally runs through the valley is dry this year. And like you, my hunting spot is about a mile from the highway but about 1200-1800 feet down in a valley. Getting it back by myself before it spoils is the only real challenge I have to face. It takes about an hour to get back to the road even with no gear. Adding a quartered deer with me will be difficult but necessary. Thanks for the info.

Paul

Holy cheese n rice!!! He's ginormous!! Nicely done sir.....nicely done.

Gary Murray said:
My hunting plans hit a bump in the road yesterday. Someone tried to steal my truck and ATV. Another guys truck and ATV got hit in the same fashion yesterday morning too. They broke the smallest window and popped the ignition. Lucky for me my key is computer coded and the engine wont start unless it recognizes the chip in the original key. I can turn the engine over with a screw driver but it wont fire. However they took mine and the other guys ATV keys so it makes me wonder if they plan on coming back for a second crack at it.
Messing with a presumably armed hunter.......gutsy to say the least.

I made it out on Sunday and had one of the best days in the field I can remember.

All morning long, for probably 2-3 hours I had two very vocal bucks chasing each other around out in the field next to he tree stand I was hunting from. At one point the bigger of the two, a very nice 8 point was within 20 yards of me but it was too thick to get a clean shot.

When I returned after lunch I had not been in the stand 10 minutes when I had 3 small does just "appear" under my stand, I have no idea where they came from but they just passed by. A couple hours later I had a small button buch and a doe come in and walk right up to the base of the stairs leading to my stand. They played around for about 10-15 miuntes before wandering off. At one point they were both standing broadside at about 12 yards. I really wanted to let one fly with the new crossbow but I'm not into shooting the babies, I don't need one that bad.

The sun was out all day and the temps were in the mid to high 60's. Overall I counted at least 10 different deer, possibly more but I think some were repeat visits.

Sat in my stand for about 5 hours Saturday morning, most of it in the rain. First time out and didn't quite have things set as I'd like them to be. Bowholder in the wrong position, wrong seat cushion, left my binos home (brought the big ones not the small ones), etc. Just after I sat down, with my bow hanging behind me to the left, a gorgeous 8 pt walked out right in front of me. I was watching the main trail from the farm next door. Anyway, he sensed something wasn't right and stood there for about 1 1/2 - 2 minutes sniffing the air and looking around. He was broadside at 27 yds but facing me the whole time. Then he walked behind a tree and I stood up with my bow ready to draw. But he turned left instead of right and headed down a different trail. Never spooked, stomped or flagged. He just walked off as nothing was wrong. I have mixed feelings about not getting a shot. He was great to watch and if I had killed him right there my season would be pretty much over. So I have him to look forward to as well as some others out there.

I moved my bowholder but snapped off the screw when I tried to move a second time. Oh, well, still had fun...and there is always next time...to be continued...

Rifle season here in Cali starts on Saturday the 27th. I have my Tree stand up in a beautiful old oak grove that intersects about four different trails very close to a couple of new rubs and everything pretty much ready to go. But what I didn't count on? A weather alert that came out a little while ago saying we have a wind advisory in the area for Friday/Saturday morning. 20-30 MPH with gust to 55 MPH. I don't think sitting in a tree stand in an old oak tree is going to be the wisest thing for me to do. Dang. Best laid plans...

Paul

It's just Murphy's Law rearing his ugly head. Too bad man. I remember when I was livin in L.A. the el nino'.....and the Santa anas.....great time to go surf brah....

;)

I shot a deer Monday night, but it turned away from me just as I shot and I hit it a bit foreword.... It only bled for about 75 yards and I never found it. I searched for over 6 hours well into the night and 3 of us hiked miles of mountain. Now I'm tired and completely miserable. It was I nice buck too.

Awww Man. That sucks. It happens. But it never feels good when it does. My weekend was loosing a quail. It's a small bird. And nature will make use of it no matter. But even that little thing sucks. Just remember, your deer may recover and if it doesn't, it will become just a part of the cycle of life and become valuable nutrients for other animals.

We got lucky last year. My hunting partner tagged a four pointer in the very low belly when it too moved just as he squeezed off the shot. It bled for about 100 yards and then stopped. I had no explanation and was really confused as to how a bleeder could just stop like that. After several hours of circles around the area and finally following the best set of tracks I could find, we jumped it again and harvested it. It turns out that the shot pierced the lower abdomen and the stomach had slipped through the hole to stop the bleeding. We were surprised but glad we recovered it. My season starts this Saturday. I can't wait.

Paul

raven01750 said:
A weather alert that came out a little while ago saying we have a wind advisory in the area for Friday/Saturday morning. 20-30 MPH with gust to 55 MPH. I don't think sitting in a tree stand in an old oak tree is going to be the wisest thing for me to do. Dang.

That's what safety harness's are for. ;) :D

rjpoog1989 said:
I shot a deer Monday night, but it turned away from me just as I shot and I hit it a bit foreword.... It only bled for about 75 yards and I never found it. I searched for over 6 hours well into the night and 3 of us hiked miles of mountain. Now I'm tired and completely miserable. It was I nice buck too.

Bummer man, that sucks. I've not had this happen to myself yet but I've helped track many and there is not much of a worse feeling that having to call it quits on the search.

My dad still uses the old school game trackers on his bow for this reason. I have to say it has helped us find many that we would never have found otherwise. I'm amazed what deer will do and go through when hit.

While I was out hunting last weekend, one of my coworkers sends me this picture of a deer that was just hanging around her front yard. I guess there was a doe bedded down in her flower beds.

IMG_5351.jpg

I've never seen deer that big in the woods before....but hope to some day

i wonder what this whole hurricane thing is doing to the deer. I was going to go out today, but its raining harder and harder every minute. It's also getting a tad windy, so I don't think i could hit the broad side of a barn at this point with my bow... This sucks that it's happening right in the middle of the rut.

Back