• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Description from Mossberg...

DHonovich

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Sponsor
"Philanthropist"
The new 535 ATS™ marks a new era for Mossberg® pump action shotguns. Influenced by the success of the 3" chambered 500® and the 3-1/2" chambered 835®, this shotgun brings the best attributes of both models, delivering outstanding versatility without compromising on performance.

The 535's "All Terrain" flexibility is best appreciated in the field. It's chambered to handle 12 gauge, 2 3/4", 3", and even 3 1/2" magnum loads, for maximum stopping power. The Uni-line™ receiver design assists in fast target acquisition. With the Trophy Slugster™ cantilevered scope mount system, barrels can be swapped without disturbing a well-sighted scope. The sleek barrel profile, coupled with a shortened magazine tube, provides a comfortable balance and swing. A wide range of stock and barrel configurations are also available.

How's that for versatile?

Rugged and reliable, the 535 ATS™ is the ultimate, all-around pump gun, loaded with features usually found on shotguns costing much more, all built into a lightweight design that's easy to carry into the field. That's good, when you figure all you'll be carrying out.

The 535 ATS™ is offered in a complete line of field, turkey, waterfowl, Slugster® and combo models.

After looking and handling many different shotguns I decided on one of these 535 Tactical ones.
Not because it looked military, not because it had the shortest barrel at 20 inches. I realize longer barrel gives more accuracy and time for the powder to add speed to the shot, but I did not like the look of a 30 inch barrel. Maybe later I will try a longer barrel as an option.
I bought it because I could make it more compact for easier transport and store at home.
I immediately as soon as I got it home, replaced the standard recoil pad with a limb saver, as the factory one seemed little better than a piece of shoe leather, the replacement was very easy. The store where I bought it said the Limbsaver would not fit, so I went to a different store and bought it as a separate item.
When doing that replacement, I saw the tube in the butt-stock was hollow.
I then filled the tube with lead shot from an old pair of ankle weights in an effort to reduce recoil. It only added a tiny bit of weight, but I am big and tall, Work out regularly, and the 535 felt too light. I sealed then end with a soft plug from an autoparts store, and attached the Limbsaver recoil pad. The balance now seems much better. I can balance it under the middle of the bolt. I used a lawnmower blade balancer. It is very steady, before it was a bit nose heavy.
From what I read, Mossberg's kick a lot, and Shotguns kick a lot in general.
My father taught me that this shotgun kick was entirely due to their light weight. One of the reasons Military firearms were always so heavy was to keep the front sight on target for follow up shots. We shall see how effective it is. Something about Neuton's law of Motion.
You can learn from your parents, if you are not too busy pretending you know everything already.
I am very pleased with my purchase. :mrgreen:

Congratulations on purchasing a Mossberg 535! It certainly is a great shotgun; when you get a chance would you mind posting up some pictures of it?

DHonovich said:
That they do...

I can't determine whether its a feature or a flaw :|. I can see that if dirt was got up in their, then it would be easy to clean out, but its annoying try to move quietly in and having that rattle. I really have to hold the fore end firmly in order to keep it quiet. Especially in my older mossbergs.

gmaster456 said:
DHonovich said:
That they do...

I can't determine whether its a feature or a flaw :|. I can see that if dirt was got up in their, then it would be easy to clean out, but its annoying try to move quietly in and having that rattle. I really have to hold the fore end firmly in order to keep it quiet. Especially in my older mossbergs.

That rattle is quite annoying, I haven't been able to figure out what exactly how to make it stop. Every time I touch the gun it does it. I never took notice as to whether my dad's 835 does it or not, it's been a while since I hunted with it. Guess I'll have to check it out.

Back