• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Photo Gallery

If anyone actually tries the chrome removal and rebluing on a 500 bolt, please document with pics. I would love to see the before, during and after pics.
Thanks

Please forgive me... my "No Crap?" was meant too be more along the lines of "REALLY? That will work?!?!" ... not the way I just took it when re-reading it! Sorry!!!!

Thank you for the "how to remove chrome" I will be researching it (YAY! not...) and weighing the benefits and possible losses

Well now that I dug my head out of my @$$... Reading that page was more simple than having to research it haha..

If I used the Bleach option, it will leave the Primer... I do not want to leave the primer on, correct?
The Cola and Brake Fluid will darken the metal... Will this aid me in my conquest to get a blackened bolt?

hmm... it may almost be worth trying :p

I would think that once the chrome is removed you will still need to blue the bolt otherwise the unprotected steel will rust.

Well I agree, what I am seeking to verify, is that the darkening that is caused via the Coke/Brake Fluid will help me and that I won't have to seek a means of removal for that.

Sorry for seeming so "technical" with my fancy words but I don't want to do something that I will regret lol

Whatever you do, just make sure to have an all in one lube (like CLP) or some type of oil. You want to oil your bolt immediately so it doesn't rust. From there you can polish it to prepare it for bluing or prep it to use something like DuraCoat SL (SL meaning Self Lubricating, which is what I will probably use when I get around to trying this project). You could also have it parkerized, which would be the best option if you just want a flat black look with good rust protection. They sell kits to do it at home if you're up to that kind of thing.

Park sounds like a real good idea.
I have a 500C that I camoed but the bolt is chromed.

So here she is with the new forend from a buddy with a 590. It was free so I can't complain, but its the only thing I can do to her now. Definitely a LOT better than the wood stock in my opinion.

Attachments

• IMG_20121208_115932-1.jpg
    IMG_20121208_115932-1.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 576
Not without a little ingenuity and permanent modification. There is a similar forend from FAB Defense that comes with rails...

Well in that case, all you really need to do is sculpt the bottom of your forend to match the contour of whichever rail you choose, drill a couple holes, and screw it on. Only downside I can foresee is the overall thickness of the forend may not be enough to handle the torque if you add a foregrip. That and if you srew or bolt on the rail you'll have to figure out how to keep the screws/bolts from contacting the tube on the inside...

I was just thinking about that bro! I think since it is kinda hard to rack a round, imma just leave it alone and then maybe buy one that has a rail on the bottom. I am now trying to find a good scabbard. I ordered a flashlight/ mag tube clamp from ATI and am waiting on that. What else would you suggest.

Same thing I wanna do, just gotta find one. Really wanting the weaver converta mount but can't find anywhere that takes paypal for 20 bucks or less.

Back