• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

turkey loads and chokes

tony10point

Copper BB
hey guys, im new here so would like to start by saying hello.i just bought a new 535 turkey and deer combo. it has a 22''turkey barrel and 24'' slug, the question i got is what load and choke is this gun patterning the best with. ide like to shoot 40-50 yrds.i got a carlson turkey choke to start with and the fact choke as well. i got remington 3'' 5 shot and rem 3.5'' 4 shot to start with.but while i still gots a shoulder i figured ide ask.lol..well any help ide appreciate and when i get done testing tomorrow with what i got i will post results...thanks guys.shoot straight...

Re: loads and choke turkey

Tony, lookin forward to seein what you come up with!

From the testing I've done, the Federal FliteControl is awesome stuff!!! The do have a turkey load in #4 with FliteControl in a 3" shell for sure, and I believe a 2 3/4" also. I have been able to pattern the 00 buck FliteControl to 50 yards, you may have similar results with the turkey load and your choke.

My buddy and I both have the 535, and we both use the factory mossberg turkey choke with Winchester's Xtended Range High Density Turkey loads in 3.5 inch, #6 shot. Patterns really well and drops turkeys in their tracks.

I was always partial to Remington 3" nitro mag #4 shot. Out of a fixed full choke of an old Stevens model 79, easily holds a pattern about the size of a cup saucer at 25 yards.

If your bead is on it when you squeeze the trigger, it's all over.

I can't visualize myself turkey hunting at 50 yards though.

Fifty yards is a bit far, I know people that have taken those shots and have been successfull but I think that is pushing it. Although to be honest I've not used some of the longer range heavy shot loads to see how thay pattern at those ranges. I patterned my guns at 30 yards and was happy with the results. The furthest turkey I've taken was at 25 yards, I like to get them close. ;)

My load of choice is just a plain old copper plated winchester turkey loads (12G 3" #5's). They work well from my 870 and my 930 using a Primos Tight Wad Turkey choke.

I'm shooting Remington Premier Magnum Turkey Loads. 3.5 inch, 6-shot. I'll say this much, you've got a 535, so use 3.5 inch ammo. Turkeys can be tough, if you're thinking of shooting 50 yards, give er everything you've got.

Edit: Also, if you're going for distance, 4-shot maybe your best option.

rjpoog1989 said:
I'm shooting Remington Premier Magnum Turkey Loads. 3.5 inch, 6-shot. I'll say this much, you've got a 535, so use 3.5 inch ammo. Turkeys can be tough, if you're thinking of shooting 50 yards, give er everything you've got.

Edit: Also, if you're going for distance, 4-shot maybe your best option.

AND have an ice bag waiting at home! :D

my 535 shoots about a foot high and a little left with 24in. barrel and xxfull accuchoke and will put 93 pellets in a nine inch circle at 40yrds, shooting 3 in. hevi13 1 3/4oz #6. That same shell in an indian creek .660 at that distance will do 116 pellets 6in. high and just left but use win. xtended range 1 3/4oz #6 with the indian creek at 40 yrds. and get 133 pellets in a 9in. circle that pattern just left of point of aim

Back