• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

835 with 28" barrel and Duck Blind Camo for Turkey hunting?

Well new to this group and new to turkey hunting but wanting to start this coming up spring. I have the Mossberg 835 Ulti Mag with 28" barrel and Mossy Oak Duck Blind camo finish. What can I do with that for hunting turkey? Used but still a good lookin shotgun. Have not been out to shoot it yet but gotta do some cleaning first. I know that the camo and barrel length might not be right for turkey hunting. I found some turkey chokes online. Oh and my buddy is a hunter and will also help me get started and will be going with me. He said what I have would do. Said All I need for the gun will be a good turkey choke and turkey shot. Any other advice and tips would be great.

Re: 835 with 28" barrel and Duck Blind Camo for Turkey hunti

The camo and barrel length doesn't really matter. What do you think the older guys used? Blued wingmasters and wood stocks. Not that those were ideal but it's more of the hunter than the gun. Get a good turkey choke and pattern multiple loads until you find one that works best for you.

Thanks. I went over the oldgobblers.com and seen how all those done thing's with their turkey guns. And yeah I will agree that the only thing I need is a good turkey choke and a good pattern.

Pick up a turkey choke tube and a good caller. I hunt primarily with a 28" barrel Mossberg 930.

My last two turkeys were taken with a 930 equipped with a 28" matte black barrel and a Primos Tight Wad choke.

You should be OK with that setup, just pattern it with whatever choke you use so can find the best load and know your limitations.

Hey thanks for the tips. The owner of my 835 before me, told me that this gun was very accurate. I wont know until I try it out for myself.

The main reason to have a camo gun for turkey is they can see the shine of a blued barrel, ducks and geese are the same way. The type of camo doesn't matter as much which the gun, although what you're wearing may make a difference because of size but even then I'm not particular.

Well hint my screen name. That's what I always looked at turkey hunters as..lol. Even the gillie's.

Back