• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Search results

1. stampeed valkyrie

Mag dropping during cycling/firing.. mvp patrol 308

Had this issue with an MVP Patrol in .556 issue was the spring in the mag release. Spring was too weak and was allowing the mag release to shift or unlock either from recoil or cycling the bolt. Replace that spring with a stronger one and no more mag drop.
  2. stampeed valkyrie

MVP Varmint vs Ruger M77 Hawkeye vs CZ527 Varmint

hmm going from memory 600yds is pretty much the max effective range for 5.56 and .223. Not to say you can't reach past it.. but things tend to go wonky once you do. With that said, I've never used a .223 or 5.56 rifle to reach out that far. When I have done anything past 500yds it was always...
  3. stampeed valkyrie

MVP Patrol 5.56 writeup..

wow rolling up on 1 year since I first posted this.. I had some time this past weekend to revisit this rifle. The magazine randomly falling out issue is gone.. apparently a weak spring, now it takes a little more effort to release the magazine, but it beats the mag falling free after about 4...
  4. stampeed valkyrie

So with the last update in October.. and now December.. the rifle has apparently come back from Mossberg once again. I did not get a chance to see the write up of what was fixed or not fixed, however I did get to see the service tag of some other changes. A2 style Birdcage flash hider...
  5. stampeed valkyrie

Easy enough fix though.. just reapply red loctite and torque back down. I ended up doing this to the pic rail on the rifle in the very beginning. I read that many didn't have any loctite and were coming loose, it wasn't loose but no loctite either. somewhat of an update.. apparently this...
  6. stampeed valkyrie

@John A. Take a look back at my previous posts.. I have shot mutliple weights of 5.56 and they all average about the same. The twist rate one the 5.56 patrol I believe is 1:9 which ideally should be 55gr to 62gr. We use LC XM193 which is 55gr. and XM855 62gr. In my tests I used PPU and...
  7. stampeed valkyrie

Sorry for the late Response but here is my Part 3 and overall conclusion.. I headed back out again.. this time 100 yards and the same overall issues as listed in my previous 2 posts are still prevalent. I rezero'd for 100 yards and shooting Winchester (Whitebox) .223 45gr HP I was able to pull...
  8. stampeed valkyrie

Yea I hear you on the superbowl.. no interest either regardless of who is playing. As for Mossberg.. is it even worth it? This was my first time out with their specific magazine.. I've been using that promag 20rd and I thought maybe it was just a crappy promag magazine when it came out.. To...
  9. stampeed valkyrie

Ok some updates... I got a chance to get over to the range today.. and the Gun gods did not want to cooperate. Camera just stop taking pictures.. very weird.. will post what I have so far. So very cold, snowy/sleet weather today figured nobody would be out being SuperBowl Sunday and all ;)...
  10. stampeed valkyrie

I'm still waiting on a good day to get out to the 100yd to follow up on this. I almost got out Saturday but the Mrs. had other ideas! @Buffalo Jim Unfortunately no matter what you get the endgame of states like NY is total disarmament and nothing will be safe. Not trying to start a...
  11. stampeed valkyrie

MVP Predator drop bolt question

so to answer #1... there is some very slight play on mine as well. could be normal. to answer #2 looks like a simple pin.. could be tapped out with a punch of the right size.
  12. stampeed valkyrie

I then decided to zero the rifle at 50 yards using PPU M193 55 grain.. cause it's what I have the most of on hand currently. Literally right where I expected it to be.. NOT on a cold bore this time sitting at about +2.5 above bull. I walked it down abit and left it at this.. And that is...
  13. stampeed valkyrie

Thanks to the weather cooperating, and some free time today I was able to get back out with my 5.56 MVP Patrol rifle. For those that have been following me already know this rifle has been off to a rocky (at best) start. The rifle was originally picked up, to demo against several other...
  14. stampeed valkyrie

If you could only have one rifle would it be the MVP?

We encountered the issues when shooting from different positions, both from cover, partially under cover or rapid shooting from a partially supported position. Someone, I don't remember if it was here pointed out the aluminum mag well from tromix. It resolved the mag stability issues and...
  15. stampeed valkyrie

If you could only have one rifle would it be the MVP?

I can't say I agree with the MVP impression on this forum overall. I don't have the .308 Patrol, so my reference comes from the 5.56 patrol.. Mag wobble out of the box is really bad.. For those that are not using it "just for bench shooting" this is a deal breaker. During our testing...
  16. stampeed valkyrie

Scout & Patrol differences?

Weaver actually makes a fairly good fixed power scout scope... or they did. I think it was 4X and I have mounted on an Mosin M44 Scout project I built probably 10+ years back. I've used the rifle to hunt and was satisfied with it's performance. Of course once I got passed seeing nothing...
  17. stampeed valkyrie

.308 for deer ?

I see no issues with using a .308 rifle for deer, my other choice is .243. I have a remington pump .06 that likes to take my shoulder with it but is also a good deer rifle.
  18. stampeed valkyrie

Mossberg MVP Bolt Action Troubleshooting

The aluminum tromix magwell solved my mag wobble issues. Between the sloppy magwell, and minute of softball accuracy using 5.56 ammo I don't have high hopes. I have changed the scope rings to mid height ring.. I had to take the rear iron sight apart in order to do so. This in hopes I get a...
  19. stampeed valkyrie

Update almost 2 months later and the rifle is on its way back to me.. I'll sum it up nothing was done to the rifle by Mossberg as apparently it passed all their tests. I'll add a snippet from the latest email correspondence. Take note of the line about 5.56 ammunition not being very...
  20. stampeed valkyrie

When I get the rifle back I will give it a go. However that defeats one of the buying points of this rifle.. a 5.56 bolt rifle. When I explained to the Mossberg rep my findings I was told it was not the norm.
Back