• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Search results

1. C

New shooter learned a lot on the range

Welcome!! Take a look at many of the threads in the Ammo sub-section; look at the discussions on the low recoil rounds ... these might help save your shoulder. I'm suprised you got 50 rounds down range because it took my old shoulder about 10 before it started getting sore. :lol...
  2. C

Shotgun Ammo for Home Defense- #8

Personally, I use 00 ... I've got the same issue as you regarding wall penetration. It's my suggestion that you only use 1 round of birdshot with more lethal to back it up. If you are shooting more than one round in your house then you have a problem that needs more lethal ammo ASAP. If you've...
  3. C

Just what I need for a bug out

What the hell? :lol:
  4. C

What Prep Did You Do This Week?

According to my research, Honeyville Farms is one of the best out there. Mountain House, Provident Pantry, Augusan Farms, Richmoor, Pleasant Hill Grain, and even Thrive/Shelf Reliance (though they are still fairly new) have good reputations. The key is the longevity of the company because many...
  5. C

I went to Honeyville Farms retail store on Friday ... very cool place. Honeyville Farms has 4 retail stores in the USA ... 2 in Utah, 1 in California and 1 in Phoenix. Given that I wanted to start expanding my storage to include freeze dried and dehydrated foods, I thought it wise to take...
  6. C

Yes ... kinda lucky. Honeville Grain (a quality company) only has 4 retail outlets ... 2 in Utah, 1 in California and 1 in Phoenix. Might as well take advantage of it. I'm betting they have the ability to taste food there too but we'll see. Like I said, I'm thinking my freeze dried and even...
  7. C

Good one ... I think I met the FEMA 72 hour recommendation yesterday. :lol: Today, I'm headed over to the Honeyville Grain retail store (it's on the other side of Phoenix so it will take 45 minutes just to get there) to explore their store and begin to diversify my preps into the world of...
  8. C

EOTech - Integrated Fore-end Light

Anybody familiar with these. It's fairly new (July 2012) and it looks interesting; I'm still trying to find a lighting solution for my 590A1 (51520) that has very little room for a rail. Anybody have experience with this? http://www.eotech-inc.com/products/lights/IFL
  9. C

Decided I better buy a little bit

Having plenty of ammo is a good thing and I don't think it's overkill ... but that's my personal opinion and situation. Properly stored, quality ammo will last a long time so mine will get shot over time so I'm not too worried about having too much. Like I said earlier, ammo prices have gone up...
  10. C

Decided I better buy a little bit

I've done a pretty good job of stocking up on the ammo that I use most ... mainly 9mm. Here's how my percentages stack up: - 9mm - 60% of my ammo - .38/.357 = 5% - 12 Gauge = 5% - 30/06 & .243 = 5% - .22 LR = 25% I consider the ammo a good hedge against inflation. I can't loose money on it...
  11. C

What song are you listening to right now

Not in my iPod but in my car ... AC/DC (Back in Black) and The Eagles (Greatest Hits).
  12. C

Good to see this thread "trying" to hang in there. I've not prepped (or shot) much in the last several months ... been helping my oldest daughter focus on finding a college to attend next year. The main thing my wife and I have done the past several months is each lose 30 pounds with another 10...
  13. C

Doomsday Preppers

LOL ... very true. One of the local news stations (Phoenix) did a story on him a few weeks ago and he seems to be doing fine; he saved most of his thumb ... let's hope he learned from that experience. Being prepared is just that. Figure out what you are preparing for and start preparing - it's...
  14. C

Doomsday Preppers

They had their season finales and we have to wait for the next season. I'm assuming they come back for at least another season with the 12/21/12 scenario in full bloom this winter.
  15. C

I got them through Amazon for about $20 each. You get what you pay for but they should do the trick (for me) at $20 each. Do your research and figure out how much you want to spend. I like alternatives and back-ups and these fit that bill. These do work, both the solar and hand cranks, but it...
  16. C

This past week: - added a bunch more to my canned food storage - added bird netting to my tomato and strawberries (birds are killing my berries) - purchased and started reading the book One Second After ... definitely recommended reading. - bought 3 of these solar/hand crank lanterns ($20...
  17. C

I see this on many blogs and I like to see what others are doing in real life and not just theory. Here's what I did this week: * Bought a portable toilet plus waste bags and gel * Bought more honey, peanut butter, canned beans, fruit and tuna *Bought one box each (20 per box) of .243 and...
  18. C

The Wife is On-Board!!

You are very lucky to have water around you ... not something I have readily available and that is a concern. Regarding paper plates, it really doesn't take up much space to have 1,000 paper plates ... about the size of a 12 pack of beer I suppose (to give you something to compare). Have you...
  19. C

Water

I've got the Crown Berkey but I'm also looking at the Sawyer .02 as well. From a water perspective, I like the thought of having back-up to the back-up to the back-up. There's many decent filters out there that should provide adequate water filteration. Good luck!!
  20. C

The Wife is On-Board!!

Solar is on the agenda but I haven't done the research I need to do. At this point, I'm taking care of the basics first: food, water, etc... and buying small stuff like solar/hand crank lanterns, candles, etc... I've got a long way to go but we are on our way. My first goal is a 6 month supply...
Back