• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

00 Buck Reviewed

Re: Remington HD 00 Buck .410!

That would be cool to see! But my daughter doesnt have one of those, lol!

Re: Hornady TAP LE 8 Pellet 00 Buck low recoil

I'm so glad that special purpose 12-ga ammunition has a distinctive blue color so as not to confuse it with standard buckshot or slug. Federal Tru-Ball reduced recoil slugs do the same with a blue hull. If only Federal would make their reduced recoil FliteControl buckshot in a blue hull as well, instead of the typical Federal maroon.

Yup, agreed! I have loaded in my shell cuff now both the Federal LE 00, and Federal PowerShok slugs. Same color...

Re: Winchester Super X 9 Pellet 00 Buck full power

Rossignol said:
I dont expect to find the Super X to be as tight patterning as the Federal or Hornady.

And thus we have another explaination about why Wal-Mart shotgun ammo can't compare with the Premium Ammo sold in gunshops and from carefully chosen online sources.

IOW, you will never see Tru-Ball slugs, or Flite-Control reduced Recoil 00Buck, or Hornady TAP sold across the counter at an effin Wal-Mart.

I wish I could wrap my head around what Wal-Mart is thinking. They sell the finest trap/skeet shotgun ammo you can buy: Remington Premier STS.

But they sell crap slug and buck ammo...... :(

Exactly! I used to bang my head against the wall tryin to find this stuff! But fortunately for us, we have some of the finest online proprietors with entreprenuerial spirit enough to carry overstock LE ammo!!! ;)

Alrighty... We were out shooting all day today!

I unfortunately didnt take enough stills, but I do however have a ton of stuff to upload in the way of video.

As was expected, the Winchester didnt fare well against others. Of the four tested, I put the Winchester Super X 00 buck squarely at the bottom of the heap.

#1 At 5 yards, of the 3 12 gauge loads used, it was the only one in which I could pellets and call a "pattern".

#2 At 10 yards we began seeing strays.

#3 At 25 yards you could fit an infant, a fox, and a rabbit through the pattern. The stray pellets become a liability. Any further out you can forget it.

Video will be uploaded as soon as I can get it edited!

Re: Remington HD 00 Buck .410!

Ok folks! We did a bunch of shooting today and I have a ton of video and not a bunch in the way of stills...

So, I wasnt altogether unimpressed! The Remington load is advertised as an HD round. My daughter Allison fired it through her 500 .410, fixed full choke 24" vent-rib barrel. Shes an excellent shot at 12 years old. She connects every single time she pulls the trigger.

Like the others tested, she fired at 5, 10, and 25 yards. We did the 25 yards only to see how much the pattern opened up. Not a bad round, not a favorite. Of the 4 loads tested, I would rank it at #3 above the Winchester Super X.

#1 At 5 yards all 4 pellets were individually recognizable, but in a pattern of just a few inches. All 4 pellets penetrated 1/2" of dry wall and 3/4" of ply wood.

#2 At 10 yards the pattern opened up some but not terribly so. I'll have to review the vid, but still in several inches. All pellets penetrated both drywall and plywood.

#3 At 25 yards, Allison still squarely hit the target with a very even spread across the paper, but IMO way to open to be efective for anything.

Alright, so I had reasonably high expectation of the Hornady TAP LE. Was I disapointed? Well, maybe just a little. I have video to upload yet, not many stills though to show what we saw today. We shot much of the day, and had a great time doin it!

So... I did expect a little more from the Hornady because of the VersaTite wad. Maybe I set my standards too high. The truth is, it didnt perform badly. Of the 4 loads tested today, I rank it #2 second only to the Federal LE with FliteControl.

#1 At 5 yards it put all 8 pellets with the shot cup through a singular, very clean hole. And absolutely punched through 1/2" of drywall and 3/4" of plywood.

#2 At 10 yards we began to see a pattern emerging from the pellets, still very close, still hammered through both drywall and plywood.

#3 At 25 yards I'm not testing for penetration the gypsum or wood, I'm looking for a pattern. This is where I began to be almost disapointed. Based on my expectation of the load, I didnt think I would see a few strays and such a wide pattern. Not anywhere near as open as the Winchester load, but wider than I wanted to see at 25 yards. The strays are enough I wouldnt use it at that range.

Re: Federal Premium Tactical 00 LE132

Here we go! I went into todays testing with high expectationns of this very talked about load! We did a ton of shooting, got a ton of video to go through and edit yet, and my only regret is not having taken more stills.

I was impressed with the Federal LE! It out performed each of the other 3 loads tested today, I give it the coveted first place position! It felt great to shoot, we conected every single time we pulled the trigger, even at 50 yards out! Now, I personally wasnt able to duplicate the pattern at 50 yards NiteSite posted, but at that range, there was even cover on paper with only 1 stray pellet.

#1 At 5 yards it cut all 9 pellets and the FliteControl wad through a single hole. A very nicely "cut" hole through 1/2" drywall and 3/4" plywood.

#2 At 10 yards the results mirrored those of the 5 yard test, but with a slightly wider hole through both drywall and plywood. The wad was recovered from behind the test stand at both 5 and 10 yards.

#3 At 25 yards the pattern was nothing less than impressive! All 9 pellets could be counted with the wad stuck in the drywall surface. Pellets still penetrated drywall and plywood. The pattern was roughly 4 1/4" high x 3 1/4" wide. That is buckshot excellence. I wouldnt have any issue using the load on game at that range.

#4 This is the only load I tested at 50 yards. Its the only one that gave me reason to believe I would be able to find all the pellets on paper at that range. Well, 1 pellet strayed, and I'll have to review the video, but I think the stray was right on the edge of the drywall. Other wise we saw even coverage on a 14" x 16" target, and really the pattern was similar to the Hornady load at 25 yards!!! Thats still really quite impressive from 00 buck!

Well, I'm still reviewing video. I'm going to have to dub audio over about 2/3's of it. I had to switch cameras early on. We had the presence of mind to take my daughters camera as a back up however, unfortunately it got real grainy and completely without audio. So as I'm able I'll overlay it with audio which I'll have to record as I'm watching. I may go ahead and put together what I have and post it a little at a time.

Rossignol said:
I was impressed with the Federal LE! It out performed each of the other 3 loads tested today, I give it the coveted first place position! It felt great to shoot, we conected every single time we pulled the trigger, even at 50 yards out! Now, I personally wasnt able to duplicate the pattern at 50 yards NiteSite posted, but at that range, there was even cover on paper with only 1 stray pellet.

#4 This is the only load I tested at 50 yards. we saw even coverage on a 14" x 16" target. Thats still really quite impressive from 00 buck!

Hi~

Somehow, i got a 10x12 pattern but to be quite honest that was with the early release Flite-Control Low Recoil 00 Buck PFC154-00LR which was discontinued and the new stuff is under the number you bought. Perhaps they tweaked the wad a bit or changed something. I do know that the boxes I still have do not say Tactical on the pic of the case head. They say Vital-Shok.

I honestly think that a couple of inches difference between Tactical and Vital Shok at 50-yards is miniscule. This Flite Control buck is some awesome stuff!!!!

I'm looking forward to see your pics and video!

Thank You for the report!

Thanks! It is largely due to having seen your write up that I had to test these for my self and compare several different loads against the holy grail load of 00 buck, the Federal Tac LE low recoil with FliteControl!!!

I have on video the wad and shot cup from the Winchester load. The wad really is just pressed cardboard, and the shot cup isnt deep enough to hold a few drops of water, let alone 9, .33 cal pellets.

Yes! Youre absolutely right! The Vital Shok load is now PD132** something something... It is ballistically the same as the LE load, even the hull is the same color from the LE to the PD (personal defense). Both are chrono'd to be 1145 FPS from the muzzle, 9 plated pellets of low recoil 00 buck with the FliteControl wad technology. With todays load choices being the LE or PD, I opted for the LE because they generally cost less. As far as Federal is concerned both loads are identical. (Per product literature)

All that said, your early write up spurred me on to test this load against others. I have for my self dubbed this load to be the Holy Grail of 00 buck. The spread in the pattern I saw is still nothing short of impressive. My eyes arent real good and I cant see a bullseye at 50 yards so I covered the target with my bead and the load did the rest.

Bottom line, I'm no marksman. But Federal LE low recoil can go a long way to help improve patterns and keep more pellets on target at greater range than any other buckshot by comparrison. Anyone using it I believe could feel comfortable taking shots just beyond what was thought possible. We're told to expect 30" patterns at that kind of range and it just isnt so anymore. The pattern wasnt large enough to smuggle a small mammal through. If youre a dead eye, you may even be able to take a rabbit with it at that range. If youre runnin an improved or modified choke, you can certainly expect better.

One more thing I need to say here, My testing or someone elses testing is no subtitute for seeing first hand how a particular load will pattern in your own firearm. The intention of these evaluations is to give a reasonable expectation of performance from a given load. Actual results may vary. ;)

Brad.

I am little by little editing my video. I've run into some issues, so I am uploading the 5 yard test currently, I am having to break it into sections. What I may end up doing is merging the 4 seperate threads into one post as the video will have all the loads included at given ranges.

I'll give a heads up as it comes together!

Hey folks, I'm going to try and merge the 00 buck threads I have goin to this one location. I'll then follow up with the video I have edited and ready to go!

Ok folks. Most of my vid is shyte. I merged the other topics into this one place since it all leads to this video. Is it confusing? Well heck yeah it is! But! From here on out it may make sense I hope. I have video edited and put together for the 5 yard tests, so submitted for you approval, and bear with my editing skills and comentary...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1c7eI2ZjOA[/youtube]

Thank You for a very enlightening thread! Great job so far, and I'm looking forward to future installments.

I appreciate what you're doing.

Appreciate the review. Been reading about various buckshot and seems that your tests confirm that the Federal is number one and consensus is Winchester is at the bottom. Look forward to other videos and thanks for the good work.

Back