• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

100 ATR .270 Win *First rifle*

vtelvr

Copper BB
I just purchased my first hunting rifle yesterday. I found a 100 ATR .270 for a pretty good deal from what I have seen. Got the rifle and a box of 20 rounds out the door for $305. Researching a sling, possibly with a bipod for stalk hunting, and a different stock. The black will do indefinitely, but wanted to spice it up just a bit. I have already talked my wife into getting me a better scope for Christmas, so that is coming as well. I just wanted a rifle rig that could get me in the woods immediately. This one fit the bill.

Any advice on a sling that has a bipod attached? I have seen the Boyds stocks, and will probably go that route, unless the hydro-dipping place near my house will do synthetic stocks. How about a little guidance on a scope?

vtelvr said:
I just purchased my first hunting rifle yesterday. I found a 100 ATR .270 for a pretty good deal from what I have seen. Got the rifle and a box of 20 rounds out the door for $305. Researching a sling, possibly with a bipod for stalk hunting, and a different stock. The black will do indefinitely, but wanted to spice it up just a bit. I have already talked my wife into getting me a better scope for Christmas, so that is coming as well. I just wanted a rifle rig that could get me in the woods immediately. This one fit the bill.

Any advice on a sling that has a bipod attached? I have seen the Boyds stocks, and will probably go that route, unless the hydro-dipping place near my house will do synthetic stocks. How about a little guidance on a scope?

I suggest you watch these videos. They'll help you be a successful hunter. :) https://archive.org/details/SNIPER101

Hello. Welcome to the forum from NY and congrats on your new Mossy. You get a chance post a pic or two. :)

Thank you Gunny...I can't sit and spend tons of time today with those videos, but wow, what a ton of information! I will get through the series as soon as I can, but I can already tell that is going to be info overload!

vtelvr said:
Thank you Gunny...I can't sit and spend tons of time today with those videos, but wow, what a ton of information! I will get through the series as soon as I can, but I can already tell that is going to be info overload!

Take your time. There'll be deer next season also. ;) :) I will take a slight shortcut tho to address your scope question - Don't go cheap, optics are important. And have your new rifle checked for proper bedding. :)

Welcome from MI!!

Congrats on your first rifle!!

Hi Mate and welcome from down under.

Congratulations on your new rifle, I have the same rifle and are impressed with what you get for what you pay. I did go down the path you are thinking about for the stock and have to say that I am impressed with the way it has turned out.

I have to also agree with everything that Gunny has said, get to know your rifle and try and make sure that the initial purchase was the only 'cheep' thing. Having said that the Boyds stock is very good value for the money.

We have slightly different rules down here so it was easy for me to have a suppressor fitted and I have to say that it is turning into a very acceptable rig, the only thing is I hope that I might be able to find something to smarten up the safety knob,it works just fine, but could look a little smarter. Expect that I might have to make something.

Here's how mine now looks, trust that you will be happy with yours as well.

Remember if you do go for the wooden stock you will have to find a trigger guard and do spend the extra to get it bedded down nice and snug.

Good hunting.

^^ Well, be careful about agreeing with everything I post. ;) I will say that the optics choice is not a simple one and requires considerable research. The video's at Sniper101 dealing with optics are a must watch before spending money on one. One of the most interesting is number 17 in the list: "Top sniper scopes in history". The lesson to be learned is that the most expensive variable magnification scope is not necessarily the best for the application. The other several videos before and after this one explain how to choose the right scope.

The entire series of videos is not something that a shooter should skip around in. It must be considered as a complete weapons system, including the shooter, equipment, application, etc. and viewed in sequence, since subsequent videos build on the previous ones.

Back