• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

12 GA mini shells

Yes. Theoretically.

But, changing components and payload weights/etc. may also affect the pressures in a negative manner too. Meaning, you could cause an over-pressure situation. Which as you are sure to understand could end badly.
Thanks John. Sounds like shell technology is part brain science and part rocket surgery. My pea brain says everything is the same except a piece of plastic and the length. Are “magnum” shells more powder, more lead, or both?

Wads are made differently.

And even perform differently in different brand hulls because different brand hulls are also made differently internally.

It's why each combination have their own recipes specific to how they are loaded.

As for your question about magnum shells, many have more powder and lead both.

But, not always.

I have de-constructed and re-constructed a lot of #8 loads to various combos of heavier shot.
I haven't seen any issues so far.
But when you clip, compress or shorten a wad, you can sharpen the pressure spike in the chamber. Sometimes a lot.
I have tended toward lighter lead and more wadding, and when I try this short shell mod, it will be more so.

I have de-constructed and re-constructed a lot of #8 loads to various combos of heavier shot.
I haven't seen any issues so far.
But when you clip, compress or shorten a wad, you can sharpen the pressure spike in the chamber. Sometimes a lot.
I have tended toward lighter lead and more wadding, and when I try this short shell mod, it will be more so.
I guess I will have to do some research in my spare time..lol with all the components remaining the same except the length of a plastic wad, it will be interesting to see the physics involved. I’m still not gonna be reloading though..lol

I think the mini shells can a viable option for HD for those who are recoil sensitive providing you are willing to bet your life on a rubber adaptor, personally after having the adaptor begin to work it way out under recoil on a couple occasions I`ll take a pass!
I guess a YMMV..Had a Mossberg Maverick, with the rubber adapter and shot a TON of minishells through it and it was STILL a bear to get out when I wanted to shoot full size 12g in it.

I guess a YMMV..Had a Mossberg Maverick, with the rubber adapter and shot a TON of minishells through it and it was STILL a bear to get out when I wanted to shoot full size 12g in it.
Mine is neither difficult to install nor difficult to remove, but it does fit pretty snugly. I have no worries about it falling out or becoming dislodged.

I made some wax slugs out of the Challenger mini birdshot rounds. At 9 yards, they passed cleanly through two sheets of plywood. I also discovered that they "usually" feed from a Stevens 320 pump action. Not good enough for defense purposes, but certainly good enough for plinking. At that same range, standard Federal 2 3/4" 7.5 shot rounds barely bother the plywood. Definitely did not penetrate through the first sheet. I bought these rounds on line, just a couple of weeks ago from Bass Pro. They were the cheapest 12 gauge things available and they are keeping me shooting. Take care. Tom Worthington

Back