• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

14" Mossberg 590A1, 51681, forend and stock questions

st1264

.270 WIN
Hi, new to the forum. A gun shop in Canada just got a shipment of the rather rare factory 14" 590A1's and I know the forend/action bars are shorter than the 18.5/20" model. My shotgun hasn't shipped out to me yet so I'm wondering if anyone knows if the Hogue overmolded forend will fit on it with the adapter nut? Here's the diagram on the Hogue website. Others on the Canadian gun forums are interested in a mod to get the Magpul forend to fit, if anyone has tried this.

I want a short LOP stock for it (26" + OAL is legal here) just wondering if the Hogue forend will fit as I really like it on my 500. I'm thinking in order to fit a full sized forend on there I'd need to cut it. If that's the case I'll just forget it and get a shorter stock.
clyde_armory_51681.jpg

HOGUE%20Mossberg%20500%20OverMolded%20Shotgun%20Stock%20kit%20with%20forend%20-%2012in.%20L.O.P.05032-5-500x500.jpg

As you see, the wood forends are longer than the polymer, the Hogue rubber is about 1/8" shorter than the polymer OEM for a full length action bar (14" has a shorter one). Maybe I'll carve up my spare wood forend and see what I can do with an extension nut and it. Those are two 500's, but I've swapped furniture to the 18.5" 590A1 I once had.

MossbergForendLength0001_zps70109dc2.jpg

Last edited:
Howdy @st1264 ,

It is my understanding that because the lug is soldered further in toward the receiver, the longer 7-3/4" action tubes will not work with the 14" SBS barrels. Extending the shorter tube with a cap would essentially be the same thing. Once it arrives, you can measure the clearance between the factory tube and the barrel lug to be sure...

What he said^.

The 14 SBS uses the 6 1/2 forend tube. Any 6.5 forend should fit, including common wood forends.

As LES said, the SBS uses a short mag tube. It is not just a cut-down 18.5 shotgun. The 7 5/8 forend will not fit.

Who makes an aftermarket forend for the 6.5" tube? Not looking for wood at this time, already have a woody 500.

I'd give Havlin (636) 937-6401 a call.

or,,,,

NUMRICH (866.686.7424)

I'll probably keep the forend the same and get a short LOP buttstock. Will decide after I shoot it. Looks like I'll be having it in my hands in a couple days!

Nice. The Hogue stock is nice, I have it on my 870.

Found another forend that's made specifically for the 14" 590A1 (but is too expensive for me to buy):

SF 621LM

8955.jpg

If anyone knows of any others made for this SBS, please post. Not looking to spend that ^ kind of money for one.

I ordered the Choate and Hogue 12" LOP stocks. Was thinking about the ATI Talon as well (I have 3 Mossy's). Also the TruGlo sight to replace the black bead that my old eyes will have problems with...

Choate:
806241_01_new_never_fired_mossberg_500_p_640.jpg

Hogue:

sf2hogue.jpg

ATI Talon:

DSCN1383.jpg

TruGlo 5-40 bead sight:

312aSeg3qWL._SY300_.jpg

Will post pictures with stock sets and such, when I get the items. Doing some fooling around here:
Hmmmm... Old wood stock has a longer & thicker pistol grip section on my 14" 590A1 and shaves off a good inch of LOP. Might strip it and paint/stain it black. I have other stocks coming to try but I'm impressed with the feel of the old wood stock. Of course, options are limited to the short action bar forend unless I can find a short wood set made for the 6.5-6.75" action bars...
Below is my 18.5" Road Blocker with stock brake and Hogue overmolded forend/PG.

14and185mossy0001_zps7a34ae78.jpg

Last edited:
unless I can find a short wood set made for the 6.5 forend

They're very common, just get one off of any late model Mossberg. Having said... the old wood stock in your picture is walnut and will stain very well. The late model wood is birch and does not stain well. At all.

You need to get that Speedfeed stock with the LE rack numbers. That would really complete your 14" shotgun ;)

They're very common, just get one off of any late model Mossberg. Having said... the old wood stock in your picture is walnut and will stain very well. The late model wood is birch and does not stain well. At all.

You need to get that Speedfeed stock with the LE rack numbers. That would really complete your 14" shotgun ;)

I want a short LOP stock and the speedfeed stocks don't interest me, heard a lot of bad reviews on them. I have 3 stocks on order and will pick the best one and throw the others on my 500's or sell them. My 14" with the wood stock has about 13.25" LOP and the OEM one was around 14.25". Going to try the Hogue 12" and see what I think.

Had some fun already with my 14" and my Road Blocker:

Had a little fun today with an old dining table on the farm... leaned it up to an earthen backstop and shot 10rds of 7.5 and 10 rds of 00 Buck from 15ft. Shot my Roadblocker from the hip so unsure if you'll be able to see the spread or any type of pattern. It was getting so dark I needed a flashlight to find my spent shells...

Entrance:

cc149877-a589-48e1-b24c-55f35d562919_zps27eb657a.png

Exit:

tableshotgun1_zps1c7470f0.png

Shotty's

adffe926-5c29-4dff-ac4f-7b29b4f0b19b_zps27444024.png

I love it!

Word of advice, with the short stock you'll need to shoot with your thumb lined up on top of the tang, pointed forward, lined up on the outside edge of the safety. Otherwise, if your thumb stays wrapped over and around the stock you'll end up with your bottom knuckle smacking you in the cheek bone with the full force of recoil...

I love it!

Word of advice, with the short stock you'll need to shoot with your thumb lined up on top of the tang, pointed forward, lined up on the outside edge of the safety. Otherwise, if your thumb stays wrapped over and around the stock you'll end up with your bottom knuckle smacking you in the cheek bone with the full force of recoil...

Did this and had no problem with 00Buck. Hogue recoil pad is much better than the hard rubber one on my OEM stock. Felt recoil was reduced. I'm in love with this shorty. Maybe I should pick up a Modified barrel version of the 14" 590A1 (I have Cylinder bore) that's at a couple stores now but unsure how much that would increase the effective range of a short barreled shotgun.

I measured a 15" spread with 3", #2 HV shells at 10yds, 9" spread with 2 3/4" 00 Buck - with my Cylinder Bore 14".

My favorite stock so far! Very comfortable to shoot but there are downsides to a PG stock on a 590A1. I think the shooting comfort may outweigh the negatives of reaching for the slide stop and safety.

14" 590A1 with Choate Mark 5 stock, 13.5" LOP, approx 33.25" OAL.

MossbergChoate_zps74535b96.png

Back