• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

18.5 or 20" help me decide

bassmunch

Copper BB
I have decided I'm getting a MVP. Like the idea of a shorter barrel but i dont want to sacrifice accuracy. Anyone shot these yet? I am curious about the accuracy of the 18.5".

If I am correct (be assured if I am wrong someone will correct me) the .223 needs only approximately 16" of barrel to fully burn all the powder and reach maximum velocity. It may be 18" and I just recall incorrectly. Anyhow, so with either barrel you would be perfectly fine.

My personal choice would surely be the 18.5" barrel. But I am not aware off the top of my head which model has which barrel type. Heavy Fluted would trump barrel length. Especially since 1.5" is marginal between 18 and 20.

Finally, I have absolutely NO experience with either model, not even the 26"... :p

Just curious, at what distance do you typically shoot?

Reason I ask is that the difference in performance/accuracy of a 20" over an 18.5" barrel will be minimal inside 300m. The real advantage of the extra length is an increase in muzzle velocity which will gain you marked improvement in consistency at distances approaching 500-600m. There are tons of variables that effect consistent shot placement, none of which will be compensated for by adding 1.5" of extra barrel. Matching the correct ammo to your barrel's twist rate is a LOT more important than the barrel's length. The 1:9 twist in the MVP is very versatile and capable of stabilizing bullets ranging from 40-73 grains . If you're not planning on reaching out to the last few hundred yards of the 5.56 effective range and are concerned with the rifle's overall length, I'd stick with a 18.5" barrel. Otherwise you'll just end up with a longer, heavier weapon...

That's good stuff thanks i appreciate the advice. I was leaning towards the 18.5" and now i think i'm sold. Thank you!

There we have it folks! :D

Bass, lemme know where you manage to find one! My Grandfather wants one BAD and is willing to drive a distance

Finally got the 18.5" model. Just mounted a cabelas Alaskan guide premium 4-12 today. Hopefully will get to try her out soon. Initial thoughts: I was surprised how light the rifle is. Could use more cheek area. I may end up choosing a smaller scope later. Just got such a good deal on this one couldn't pass it up. Half price in cabelas bargain cave online now FYI. These scopes get great reviews so we will see. Will post results when I can.

Pictures? :) haha
I got to handle the 20" bull barrel model at a LGS last week. EXTREMELY light and I felt the stock was really short. Almost like a youth model would have. But I think it would be a sweet shooter!

The sales rep told me that I should only use a maximum of a 20 round magazine in the MVP. Any truth too this? I haven't come across any information like this... It is really temping to go with a rifle over a pistol :p lol

I ordered one from Buds this afternoon.
Stock is limited, so we will see if they crawfish on me like they did with an AR I ordered last week.
I was waiting for an 18.5", and when this one popped up, I grabbed. I have heard nothing but glowing reviews on this rifle. Since I'm a large person with an 81" wing span, I will likely be adding a stock extender to it, as most reviews comment on the short pull stock. The shorter barrel will be nice, as it will be going to the Smith for a thread job and a silencer. We can use silencers in Texas to hunt now, so the 'yotes will hopefully never hear it coming!

I can +1 on the short stock! I am 180 lbs and 5' 10" but that stock was still like a youth model or the 12" LOP Hogue. Nice feel and really light but I would suggest something like a Limb Saver to add some rearward bulk :p

I don't own one, just got to finger one up :p

Itsricmo said:
The sales rep told me that I should only use a maximum of a 20 round magazine in the MVP. Any truth too this? I haven't come across any information like this... It is really temping to go with a rifle over a pistol :p lol

Magpul p-mags are usualy hard to lock in place but thats the mag not the rifle.

Mines been 100% reliable with everything from 5 round shortys to 100 round beta c mags.

In short the sales rep just doesn't have the complete scoop.

Lots of guys use 30 rounders. Search the web for mvp pics and user posts.

Back