• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

18.5" vented rib for 500

Has anyone seen a vented rib 18.5" barrel for the mossberg 500?

Other than providing a level plane for shooting, is there any benefit to it? Would YOU use one for HD purposes? Why or why not?

The only ones I've seen were made from cutting off a longer barrel.

I prefer the vent rib myself, but that is strictly personal preference

I definitely want the vent rib. It adds options for sights.

Perhaps the 20" barrel would do the truck for HD. Comes with chokes too!

I have a 21" turkey barrel on my HD gun. Before that I had a 26" barrel, I never felt that I was hindered by using that barrel. Shorter barrels allow more movement in confined spaces, not much else.

We took a 28" vent rib Mossberg barrel and reduced it to 18.5" and then ported it. A set of three dot
fiber optics sights went on the vent rib and this is absolutely one of the best and fastest HD shotguns I've owned/used.
The vent really is personal preference but it does present a place for the three dot sights. Combined with the porting, it
is not only fast but maneuverable. It has a five round magtube and I keep a Mesa Tactical Sureshell Six Round Sidesaddle
on the left. Stock is an ATI Talon.

The above setup which started with a 28" vent rib Mossberg barrel is a personal customization and has
not only gained a lot of attention but is extremely fast in combat/defense/tactical competitions. Target
acquisition is extremely fast and with the combination of the Shoten Armory Custom Barrel Porting and
Shoten Armory Extended Slide Release, followup shots and ammo switchover speed and reliability is dead
on WITHOUT dropping the firearm down below line of sight and maintaining a solid grip with superb weapon
retention courtesy of the TUFF1 Boa Black Gun Grip. We may design a marketable one at some point.

I'm looking at your site and if I read it correctly I need to have a barrel to you by the listed date range to get the job done? Can you cut it down as well?

Sorry for the late reply, but if you have a barrel and send it in, yes we can cut it.

Sent from HTC One (M8)

So I received the 18.5" ported ribbed barrel today and threw it on the shotty.

image.jpg

My intent was to trade the old 18.5" barrel for a 28" barrel, because I know plenty of people would prefer shorter to longer. I'm still planning to do that so if anyone wants it...

One of the big draws to the blackhawk knoxx spec ops stock is the short LOP. I've been considering dropping a few inches off the standard wooden stock I have, but I've been afraid to do it, in fear of messing it up beyond use. Tonight, after installing the barrel, I took the plunge.

image.jpg

First I measured the length of the spec ops stock. I did that by going from where it attaches to the receiver to the end at its shortest point, where I normally keep it. 9 3/4". I measured the same point on the stock and drew it out. I confirmed the measurements and made the cut.

That was the easy part.

When you cut almost 2" off the wooden stock on a mossberg 500, the rubber pad does not match up anymore. I went to cut it down, first trying a razor blade. That didn't work so well, as there are metal plates inside the pad. The razor worked well for the thin plastic pad though. I used a hacksaw and got the bulk off and basic shape, but man was it looking ugly.

image.jpg

Enter the dremmel. Man's best friend. I used a sharpening stone to smooth out the metal, and it helped with the rough work on the rubber.

image.jpg

End result? It's not pretty. But I did it and it works. It's solid, it's not terribly bad looking, and the length is correct.

See my first line? Yeah that's why you measure twice and cut once.

I wanted to go with a basic style for a bit because I like the non-threatening look of the wood stock setup.

And for those who say that @Shoten 's action release extension doesn't work with the rifle stock, you're not necessarily correct. When I shoulder the weapon my finger does connect with the extension, but where my fingers naturally fall it is just in the right spot.

image.jpg

I have not shot it yet. Still looking for a reasonable place to shoot here. One range wants 400 a year just to get in. That's not including range fees, ammo (must buy ammo there) and parking.

One more picture. Just because.

image.jpg

Glad you like it !.......I personally would have went to 18 with that particular barrel, and most of all I would have put a bead on it

I'm gonna pick me up some truglo sights. I'm liking some of their snap-on three dot sights.

I've got the bead from my old barrel, I'm just being lazy.

its going to be real nice when you get it all wired up tight ......really like the rib.

Back