What's new
Mossberg Owners

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

1st Shotgun & 1st Mossberg!

Hello everyone! I purchased my 1st shotgun last week. A Mossberg 590A1 Special Purpose with Magpul furniture. I did a lot of reviewing of info of Mossbergs versus Remingtons and decided that I liked the Mossberg better for a few reasons.

timthumb.php

Also, I've been a firearm owner (handguns) for just about two years now and just got my CCW Delaware (March - yeah, my county is slow), Pennsylvania (March), and Florida (last November).

Look forward to learning a lot here!

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum from NY.
You made a good choice with the 590A1.:)

Welcome aboard.

We've got a great group of folks here on Mossberg Owners and the atmosphere is very laid back. The only thing we like better than discussing each other's guns is lookin at 'em, so we're lookin forward to pics of your 590A1. Take a look around and feel free to post up pics of any other firearms you own in the various sub-forums. You'll find that we're into a lot more than just Mossberg around here. Jump in on the conversation anywhere and let us know if you have any other questions.

Enjoy the site!

- L.E.S.

Boy you sure made a good choice on the 590A1 Special Purpose.

And congrats on getting carry permits from several states. That's quite an accomplishment. I just wish they were not even necessary at all.

Boy you sure made a good choice on the 590A1 Special Purpose.

And congrats on getting carry permits from several states. That's quite an accomplishment. I just wish they were not even necessary at all.

Thanks! National reciprocity for CCW permits would be nice. They already do it for drivers license and cars kill more people per day/week/moth/year than firearms. (And marriage licenses etc...) And they don't even blame the cars for almost 99% of those (1% I'll give to recall issues).

Welcome from MI!!

I've got many years behind a Rem 870/1100/11-87 and a few behind my Mossberg 500/835/930, all are excellent guns.

Buying your first shotgun is an important decision and not something you should rush into. Are you mainly interested in clays or game? Perhaps you want to do both. Assuming you are an adult male, I would usually say go for a 12 bore as your first gun. Consider a 20 bore if you are a woman or a young shooter, or, if you have a problem with upper body strength (I might also add that 30” 20 bore over and unders make great game guns for more experienced shots). As a novice, though, you will not go far wrong with a 28” barrel multi-choke over and under. It will be easier to swing. Make sure the gun is not too heavy either – not much over 7lbs.

Sounds like a sales pitch...

You're too late to the game. The first post if this thread said I bought a 590A1. And the part where I said "I did a lot of reviewing of info of Mossbergs versus Remingtons and decided that I liked the Mossberg better for a few reasons."

Buying your first shotgun is an important decision and not something you should rush into. Are you mainly interested in clays or game? Perhaps you want to do both. Assuming you are an adult male, I would usually say go for a 12 bore as your first gun. Consider a 20 bore if you are a woman or a young shooter, or, if you have a problem with upper body strength (I might also add that 30” 20 bore over and unders make great game guns for more experienced shots). As a novice, though, you will not go far wrong with a 28” barrel multi-choke over and under. It will be easier to swing. Make sure the gun is not too heavy either – not much over 7lbs.

No sales pitch that's solid advise if you were looking to shoot clays then it's about swing weight depends what your doing congrats on the shotty tho can't go wrong with that choose as long as it fits your needs

No sales pitch that's solid advise if you were looking to shoot clays then it's about swing weight depends what your doing congrats on the shotty tho can't go wrong with that choose as long as it fits your needs

Indeed, but the advice seems just a bit late for me... Already did tons and tons of research into my decision... Damn I need to go to the range & check my modifications!

Last edited:
Howdy and welcome to the club. :D
Thank you for taking the time to introduce yourself. Please, feel free to chime in on any conversation, anywhere, and let us know if you have any questions. We hope you enjoy it here with our laid back, relaxed approach at Mossberg Owners.
And remember....
We're here to help, not hinder. ;)

ripjack13
smiley-greet013.gif

Howdy and welcome to the club. :D
Thank you for taking the time to introduce yourself. Please, feel free to chime in on any conversation, anywhere, and let us know if you have any questions. We hope you enjoy it here with our laid back, relaxed approach at Mossberg Owners.
And remember....
We're here to help, not hinder. ;)

ripjack13
smiley-greet013.gif

Thanks!

Howdy and you really can't go wrong with a Mossberg. Way to go with your Concealed Carries!!!!!!!!!!
I have SC and Utah CWPs for my 2022 in 40. ;)