• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

1st Year hunting with the ATR 100

JoeP

.22LR
I bought the ATR 100 in 30-06 this fall, after getting the Scope issue taken care of, which Mossberg stood behind 100%. So far I've killed 2 whitetails with it, I was using Winchester 150gr ammo which matched very well with the gun. I had nice tight groups and after dropping the 1st Deer I feel confident in this gun. A lot of people shoot or like myself own guns worth more, but the ATR has 2 thumbs up from me. The safe is nice the bolt is smooth and the higher price guns have their problems. The Remington 710,770,700, the Thomson Contender venture recalled, Years ago I bought my 1st Mossberg shot gun and guys said they were cheap, time tested they never let me down, hunted many cold days and with guys with the heavy 11-87 which is not worth being in the same cabinet as my old Mossberg 500. I hope the ATR holds up to my standard, while those with 1000,s into their gun will fail from the starting line. So far the ATR beat the whole line of Remington's. The only gun I'd say it don't out do is a Winchester mod 70 pre 64 or post 64. A lot has to do with practice and getting use to your gun.

You show tremendous confidence in your equipment and your abilities. Good equipment matters, but so does experience and knowledge. You will definitely go far in your hunting endeavors.

I wouldn't put down other brands or guns that people shoot, though.

nitesite said:
You show tremendous confidence in your equipment and your abilities. Good equipment matters, but so does experience and knowledge. You will definitely go far in your hunting endeavors.

I wouldn't put down other brands or guns that people shoot, though.
I bought the Mossberg ATR as a Backup beat it up gun and found out it out did the others I mentioned. I own Remington's, Ruger, Ithaca, Customs and hunted with many others. My thread is about what I found the ATR to be a nice gun (after field testing), If someone gets offended by facts found in the field they need to know its not always the price tag, and need a thicker skin. If We should hold back being honest, some may go out buy the TC for more money than the Mossberg to only find themselves waiting on a recall repair. Some only have cash to own one rifle, I feel the ATR could be that gun I just was being Honest.

Sir, I appreciate you being honest in your evaluations and I don't wish for you (or anybody) to "hold back" unless someone can actually articulate what was found to be negative.

When I mentioned "good equipment" I was speaking of your Mossberg ATR rifle.

And Thank You for giving us an honest field report on the ATR rifle that is favorable.

JoeP,
Congrats on your successful hunts!
I have always considered Mossberg 500 to be the the Blue Collar mans go to gun.
I think that you are also showing here that the ATR 100 is as well.
Nothing wrong with a cost effective shooter that gets the job done and puts meat on the table. :D

Good deal, glad you are liking the gun and congrats on the deer.

I don't own any Mossberg rifles yet but I've been contemplating it for a while.

Congratulations on the deer. Thank you for the comments on the ATR. I looked at one a while ago. It might help me pull the trigger so to speak.

I agree with ya the ATR is a nice little rifle. My dad spent 2 times the price on his setup for a remington 700 than what i have in my ATR deer thugs and mine shoots tighter groups and is smoother and feels more rugged.

Back