• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

2019 Georgia Bushcraft Gathering

Sounds like fun, DJ. Whatup with the flip-flops and rolled up pants legs? You boys dipping your toes in the stream?
"Bushcraft gathering" draws rednecks hikers woodsmem and hippies, preppers ..survival folks etc...., all food groups represented.

What !! Everyone doesnt have a survival goat !!! Meet Sassy, for any who are on bushcraftusa.com Kelso brought Sassy to the meet up, what a wealth of knowledge and just good folks. 0413191052_HDR_20190414094631094.jpg 0413191052_20190414094607143.jpg

Last edited:
0413191425_HDR_20190414095258809.jpg So ya got that cool G shock mudmaster, ever tried to REALLY use the compass feature ?? Gave mine a real try, its close kinda. IL tell ya I'm fairly adept at land nav, Id never leave my real compass home on a true journey, just sayin. The hardcore land nav event was run at night I believe I was having coffee and a hotdog instead.

Last edited:
Nice Tacoma rig :perfect:
And saw this solar panel on a vendors rig meant to go chat em up about it, forgot too.
Saw many cool rigs , the best to,me were the hideout specials, plain jane vans or trailers the housed everything for living. Met one couple who full time off grid last 8 years in a converted ambulance van with a cargo trailer for workshop very interesting. 0413191106b_HDR_20190414095436358.jpg 0413191106_HDR_20190414095449819.jpg

I keep coming back looking at the pictures in this thread. I see something new every time I go through them.

Like one thing is the blue suv in the picture above.

Are they afraid to get it dirty? Only time I've seen that much work to go into setting something up was at car shows. I can't think of any other reason it would be sitting on top of cinder blocks. The ground doesn't look too soggy there.

0413191444_HDR_20190414095355363.jpg M Stancil my wifes uncle, he does pottery etc.. Still speaks fluent Cherokee. Teaching youngins some clay work yesterday. Very interesting man to sit and talk with. 0411191641_20190414165221069_20190414165324052.jpg

If you catch,these on sale at harbor freight for like 1.99 i really recommend them. The throw a good bit of,convenient light. I,wanted something battery for back of blazer, I have these around the house and we really like them its also perfect in vehicle. Pardon "my lived in" look last evening.0411190617.jpg 0411190618_HDR.jpg

I keep coming back looking at the pictures in this thread. I see something new every time I go through them.

Like one thing is the blue suv in the picture above.

Are they afraid to get it dirty? Only time I've seen that much work to go into setting something up was at car shows. I can't think of any other reason it would be sitting on top of cinder blocks. The ground doesn't look too soggy there.
That was a vendor vehicle, wazoo survival I'm not 100% but I believe one side for leveling it out they had a work bench on back and were making things back there. Edit, really great guy that wazoo, he drove that in from central Texas to hang out and peddle his gear , the belts are primo,cool ! https://www.wazoosurvivalgear.com/belts/

Last edited:
Roger that.

We have a few of those little battery powered lights. They are bright. We keep one in the shelter and another on the window sill with the solar powered flash lights just so it's easy to find.

Back home safe and sound. MANY pics to share if any interest. I am def mellowed with age and developed some semblance of,self control. There was ALOT of wants available from amazing custom knives to axes and hatchets and gear of all types could easily have spent $$$$$. However, I was a good boy. I only departed with an amazing haversack from the infamous Malcolm of Hidden Woodsman, ive wanted one several years, (traded my m1950 squad stove). I also picked up a nice fat piece of flint and a nice fat ferro rod. Thats it except the so fondly named "basket hilt walking cane" I wittled on some while sitting around,0414191812.jpg its a work in progress, but will be a momento of the occasion.

In seeing your cane, I would like to show you my walking stick. It's a little taller than what I would consider a cane. Almost up to rib high. The perfect height for traveling around here.

I found it in a small community named sulphur springs (for obvious reason). It had probably broken off in the process of the old pine tree falling.

The handle works great and your thumb has a nice comfortable shelf like it was made for it.

I carried it in the back of my work truck for years and used it to beat down weeds and briars around electric poles flushing out snakes and obviously for those long hikes through the woods to find where the main line was down at. That old stick and I have spent many hours together for sure.

I have had it for about 13 years now. Still use it sometimes, but the last couple of years, it's been hanging up over my den door because I just can't get out and use it like I once could. I couldn't just toss it. Too many memories with it and too good of a stick to just throw it away.

I get to do the decorating in my den, and even though my wife thinks I'm crazy for hanging a stick on the wall, it's earned its' place up there in my book.

2d0NM99.jpg

Edit: Just wanted to add, have you ever heard of a talking stick?

The Cherokee would often use it during important meetings. In order for everyone to be able to speak and have their say (without being interrupted), the person holding the stick was the only person who was allowed to speak.

Once they said they wanted to, they would hand it off to whoever wanted to go next.

Anyway, here is the one that I made. It's a little different than ones that I have seen in sketches and drawings, but I like it just the same regardless. There are some other things that I have hung over the stick that doesn't go with it, but it made a nice place to hang my "pouch" and medicine wheel and necklace and a few other odds and ends.

8PKmPJO.jpg

Last edited:
@John A. love your walking stick very nice !
Talking stick oh yes sir , very important item, I raised 5 kids 4 were girls. The talking stick has never been to far away, i hold it everyone listens especially potential suitors. Many tribes used versions, I'm not native but I gladly adopted the tradition. 15553462578872846047300084354916.jpg

Back