• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

2nd bead on 500 barrel

Conn 500

.270 WIN
I've recently purchased another used 500A and a 500C for her. All at prices I couldn't resist. My old standby is a 1985 Camper's Combo 500A with the 18.5" and the 28" single bead vent rib. My question: I've been shooting shotguns for 40 years. Why is it I can't shoot for crap with the double bead barrel on my newer acquisitions? Even a straight-on shot with target or game loads to test the patterns is difficult. I took the 1st bead off of the barrel and I have no problem. Is this an eye problem or is it an old dog can't learn new tricks? We rarely AIM pellets, but testing the patterns vis a vis shot size/choke, all I get is a blur looking down the tube as if my eye can't decide which bead to line up with the paper target. And yeah, the 1st bead is brass, 2nd is white.

Even when shooting guns with multiple beads I've never been aware of any but the one on the end of the barrel. I have admittedly never took the shooting sports as seriously as those that compete, clays and the like were just practice for hunting and off season fun for me.

I do compete shooting Trap a little ;) I also shoot skeet, 5 stand and sporting.
The middle bead is known as the target bead. When aligning the gun to your eye, the target bead should make the bottom circle of a figure 8 with the front bead making the top circle of the 8.
Once your eye is aligned properly, no more seeing the beads. Focus past them for the flying target.

Correct, but I think my near-sightedness and failing eyesight in general FOCUSES on the early bead obliterating the business end. Sucks getting old, but it only took a small socket/ratchet to remove it. Free brass target bead to a good home.

Back