• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

3 gun and pump action ?

well i was at the lgs and i was asking about a mossberg 500 . and my wife was looking at it too and i mentioned 3 gun to her and the duche behind the counter said i would have a chance with a pump? what do u guys think?lol and i have never jumped out of a plane with an m-16 or kicked down a door with an mp-5..... but i have been through ar-15,s&w model 60 and rem 870 traning with the T.D.C.J traning dept 3 4 times in my life . so i know a little something ...

You can certainly compete with a pump action but it all depends on what class you will be shooting in, how your local club runs, what your other two guns are (may change what class you are in making a pump shotgun a disadvantage), etc.

I've seen people who can rack and fire a pump just as fast as someone with a semi-auto shotgun. It all depends on how good you are with your equipment...which depends on how you train.

That gun shop commando probably couldn't run down the street to McDonalds without having a heart attack...people who don't know are usually the first ones who say you can't!!

Just google or youtube a 3 gun video...it's all about training and being in good physical shape.

(Can't say this enough...you perform as you train !!)

Can you "play" in 3 gun with a pump? Sure! Can you win? Not against the best of the best. But you couldn't with an auto either... I guess my point is there are many reasons to participate. For fun. For training. To win. Lots more. If you're trying to win you need a lot better gear than a mossberg 500. For fun and training using the gun you may use for self defense one day is definitely the logical choice.

I'm just beginning to look into 3 Gun myself and will def be starting with a pump action 590A1. I'm just lookin to have fun and push my self...

SHOOTER13 said:
I've seen people who can rack and fire a pump just as fast as someone with a semi-auto shotgun. It all depends on how good you are with your equipment...which depends on how you train.

That gun shop commando probably couldn't run down the street to McDonalds without having a heart attack...people who don't know are usually the first ones who say you can't!!

Just google or youtube a 3 gun video...it's all about training and being in good physical shape.

So true

SHOOTER13 said:

And facial hair...
From MossbergOwners greatest hits... [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd6dTbg6a5I[/youtube]

Just a joke. Unfortunately I cut the key part out of what I wanted to quote in the message, which was "Just google or youtube a 3 gun video...it's all about training and being in good physical shape."
Train, be in shape, and facial hair can't hurt...

On a serious note, there's a great competitor in IDPA who's name escapes me. He's got all the skills, and was a top performer. but has gotten along in age and has had at least one knee replacement. That little bit of slowing down has knocked him perpetually down into the position 3 through 5. You can't discount being able to move, and control your breathing.

COMBATBEARD-2.jpg

He's so hardcore...the Afgans in the pic don't even want to stand in his shadow !! :mrgreen:

I have seen guys shooting pumps in 3-gun, but most of the shooters use semi-auto. Some classes require a pump, like the "Heavy Metal". Perhaps I may try to go old school at least once this year and try that class.

I run my 500 in my local 3gun matches & have fun...primarily due to NJ 6 round limit on an auto my pump holds 8 and even though I have a ton of guns, I dont have an auto shotgun. I have always shot a pump and am very accustomed to it so am pretty quick, however I mostly get smoked by the guys with the autos....In 3gun seconds count & every rack is more seconds ...if you are just in it to have fun with a group of good people by all means run a pump...but if your there to win....pick up an auto

Last edited:
Good point about having fun. I need to show my 20 year old 590 some love and take it out and shoot a match with it. Since I am just getting in to 3-gun and do not have any expectation of winning, my main goal is to have fun and learn as much as I can. Using a pump or auto at where I am at will not make any difference.

Best of luck....let us know how you do ..... just have fun....otherwise it can be very intimidating .....you will learn, see what techniques & gear works for you and the competitiveness will come after

Back