• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

30-06 Reloads for ATR 100

terry2425

.270 WIN
I just bought a Mossberg ATR 100 rifle/scope combo with a wood stock. While waiting for the 10 day wait period here in California, I thought I would load some 06 ammo to shoot when I got the gun. Picked up the gun and headed out to the range and to my surprise, the 06 reloads would chamber but it was very difficult to lock the bolt. Some of the rounds you could not get the bolt to lock.
What bothered me the most was I have been loading ammo for over 35 years and have never had this kind of problem. So I thought somewhere along the line I screwed something up. Back to the loading room I went.
First I checked the components; Federal once fired brass, CCI large rifle primers, 174 grn boat tail match FMJ bullets and H4895 powder. All of the specs on the components checked out, especially the bullets.
Second, I checked the overall cartridge length. I took a sized and trimmed to length case and just started to seat the bullet into the case. Chambered the round into the rifle and carefully removed the round. I then measured the overall cartridge length and found it to be 3.305. That told me I should seat the bullet in the case from 3.300 to 3.250. Didn’t solve the problem. Tried 3.245, 3.235 and 3.225 overall length and still no luck.
Third, maybe my sizing die is not sizing the case correctly. Tried a Lee, RCBS and a Forster sizing die and didn’t solve the problem.
Fourth, tried trimming the case way down from factory specs (.20 more trim). No luck.
So now I take a sized, trimmed and unprimed case and seat the bullet to 3.250 and chamber it in the gun. It’s still very tight to lock the bolt. I took the round and flat filed the case head several times and now the round will chamber and the bolt closes like it should.
That tells me there is a problem with the rifle’s chamber and not the 06 reloads.
Any and all comments are welcome!
Thanks,
Terry

Wow you sound like you tried everything and some….save one thing, ever try to chamber factory ammo?

I’m going to save your post for a troubleshooting guide lol

It’s not you it’s the rifle I bet, I bet it doesn’t chamber factory either.
You have probably produced a better than factory round in your troubleshooting process, even had a custom length for your chamber.....something is wrong with the rifle.
You need to get some factory rounds and try those in it .
First it will tell you for sure and second most manufactures wont warrantee anything that’s been involved with reloaded rounds.
That way if you have to send it back to Mossberg you can you can tell them you were using X brand of shells and DON‘T mention reloaded ammunition.

That’s my guess at it anyway.

Tried Remington factory ammo and the same problem. Talked to Mossberg this morning and they indicated there is a head space problem with the gun. Have to send it to the service center and it will be about a month to get the gun back. Oh well!

Terry

Nice try though.....stick around for a while and check out the reloading section

Back