• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

.300 BO or 7.62x39

nitesite

Average Guy
"Philanthropist"
I know it is largely based on your rifle platform. I get that.

But what is your personal preference?

If you plan you suppressing it then .300BO

Otherwise 7.62x39

I have a .300BO in the AR platform because it was the thing to do at the time.

Given the limited availability of ammo/componants I see no purpose of spending money to suppress it and will probably ditch the upper soon as I never shoot it.

My 7.62x39 is just plain fun to shoot every time.

Nitesite, regarding 300 BO sub-sonic suppressed loads at higher bullet weights above 200 grains, you need to be really careful with the powder charge and conduct testing. These sub-sonic heavier loads are known to cause the bullet to stick in the barrel. Obviously, not with good results if not careful!

At lighter bullet weight the 300 BO energy level is simular to 7.62x39.

Regards

You may would think that question would stump me. I'm going to say 7.62x39. My humble opinion, buy all the x39 as you can afford instead of getting into a new caliber and gun.

Truth is, I was never really enamored with 300 blk. I have one. I even made an integrally suppressed upper, which does OK. But, I like the 9x39 Russian much better. It's based on a necked up 7.62x39 case, using a 9.3mm mauser heavy subsonic bullet. It kicks subsonic blk tail.

There are better suppressor designs out there for 300blk, but this was my first attempt at a subsonic rifle round and I'm not ashamed of it.

Video was upload Dec. 2019. It was the last time that I shot the blk.

The blk was the first few shots. The 9x39 the second set.

Truth is, I was never really enamored with 300 blk. I have one. I even made an integrally suppressed upper, which does OK. But, I like the 9x39 Russian much better. It's based on a necked up 7.62x39 case, using a 9.3mm mauser heavy subsonic bullet. It kicks subsonic blk tail.

Very cool to see a 9x39 AR setup John. What components on the rifle? Do you load your own ammo?

I'm running AR15's and went with 300blk intending to suppress it. Good factory ammo availability & variety, suppresses well enough for me, and now I got into reloading it which keeps the cost down (or so I tell myself) by recycling my 5.56 brass

I'm using a KAK bolt and barrel. I designed and made my own integral suppressor for it.

yes, I'm loading my own ammo using mostly 9.3mm mauser bullets from 260-280 gr. My favorites are the 270 gr Speer Soft Cor.

Only one downside is the lack of AR15 style magazines. Finding the D&H mags were difficult even to begin with. I have a friend whom he and I teamed up and made a 3d printable follower that you can use in ASC magazines that work pretty well. though those ASC mags tend to swell if you leave them loaded really long making them hard to insert/remove out of the magwell.

But, as for the round itself, I like it a TON.

Back