• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

308 build or buy?

Just like the AR15 version it is a little undersized which makes this one about the size if a std AR15 handguard.

So far I have the handguard, upper receiver, bolt and charging handle.

Hoping to have the lower sometime this month.

Shameless plug for some good people: Thunder Guns out of Daytona. Their "sister" company does the anodizing for a machine (non gun related) I produce.
I already have it orderred, its just on backorder several weeks.

Build the AR you will not regret it. Just buy your upper and lower together.

Yes you could buy one cheaper but with what parts. I have built 4 AR10s 2 in 308 1 in 45 raptor and building now 358 Winchester. I picked the trigger the barrel the gas system the furniture. All that in the end is less if you whined up changing stuff. Remember most factory triggers suck compared to the one you'll replace it with ($150 to $350)

Build the AR you will not regret it. Just buy your upper and lower together.

Yes you could buy one cheaper but with what parts. I have built 4 AR10s 2 in 308 1 in 45 raptor and building now 358 Winchester. I picked the trigger the barrel the gas system the furniture. All that in the end is less if you whined up changing stuff. Remember most factory triggers suck compared to the one you'll replace it with ($150 to $350)

I did not buy a matched set but was carefull to buy both DPMS spec.

I like Giessele triggers. Their cheapest is worlds better than most stck truggers.

I did not buy a matched set but was carefull to buy both DPMS spec.

I like Giessele triggers. Their cheapest is worlds better than most stck truggers.
I never had the coin for Giessele but the best stock trigger I've ever put in are DPMS clean but a heavy pull.

I've built several AR 15s and the best trigger I've come up with for reliability and overall feel (I have a 24" barreled AR target rifle) was an Anderson Stainless set that I cleaned up and polished with a set of JP Enterprises enhanced reliability springs. Great trigger at consistent 4 lb pull.

Other notes, I picked up a Patriot in 308 a couple years ago to do a 500 yard target rifle. It shot ok but I didn't like the plastic stock so I picked up a Boyd's thumb hole stock and a Harris bi-pod and finally got to shoot it last month when I went to Colorado to visit another YouTuber at 550 yards at a 12x18 steel plate and it was awesome. I didn't like the Bushnell scope I had on it so I picked up up a Nikon P-308 and a set of rings and bases and it made all the difference in the world for me. Loaded up some 168 grain Hornady A-Max bullets. I still need to put in pillars and bed the action but I like the rifle a lot.

I got the rifle for $275 with shipping and transfer, Stock was $145 shipped and the Scope, rings and bases were $325 installed and bore sighted. Just under $750 into a rifle that is the way I want it. The nice part was that I didn't have to pony up that much cash at one time.

Back