• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

44 Remington Magnum

oli700

12g
Supporter
"Philanthropist"

As near as I can gather over the web there is very little difference between this and Alliant 2400

A guy over at Cast Boolits did a pretty professional pressure test and if anything Alliant is a touch hotter....a touch so I believe I'll be on the safe side
He also included a little testing with magnum vs regular primer and was getting better accuracy , SD with magnum

Hornady 7th shows 17.4-21.2 grains----2.60"...

Going to do a 18gr and a 19gr load see how fast they go.....work up a little from there

Any reloaders see anything alarming ????

Wish me luck, I imagine this isn't one you want to EEFFF UP

platform, Super Blackhawk

also, how does this crimp look ??, bout as much as I can get.....the groove in the XTP seems narrow

I'll check my books when I get home in the morning. I know how methodical you are so I doubt there is anything I could find questionable.

Crimp looks more than adequate, and that revolver is NICE. Strong beast it is.

Much appreciated my friend

Talking to Tyler , he has a pound of Alliant 2400 he's not going to use since he sold the Alaskan ....

So I think I'll load some identical loads between Hercules and Alliant and send them through the chronograph see the difference for fun, and info I guess

I have a couple hundred magnum primers I'd like to use if you have any input on that.....I have 300's as well but really want to save em for 10 mike mike

Okay, since I apparently missed your bullet data I am assuming you have the #44200 240-gr XTP, since that matches the charge of 2400 mentioned in my Hornady #7 for that projo.

Going by Hornady, you are starting in the medium range between MIN and MAX which sounds very smart if I have your bullet guessed correctly.

I think 2400 is a powder which isn't all that dense and doesn't "need" a magnum primer to light it off since it is single based. In my .357 Magnum 2400 loads I have used standard pistol and also standard small rifle primers and neither has been a problem even when I go to full MAX and even a bit beyond. I've never felt a need to use a magnum pistol primer with 2400, tho' I probably would with really dense double-base ball powders that are harder to light with all the graphite coating all those tiny spheres.

FWIW, Alliant's published data used the standard small pistol primer CCI300 for 240-gr .44-Magnum recipies and 2400.

BUT Sierra Edition V Third Printing did their load data using CCI350s with their 240-gr bullet and it was MIN 19.5 ~ MAX 21.3 with Alliant's 2400

Speer #13 and their 240-gr bullet used CCI300s and it was MIN 19.0 ~ MAX 21.0

And Lyman 48th didn't use magnum pistol primers either but I think it you are a half-grain or grain under MAX then the magnum pistol primer is perfectly safe in THAT GUN.

You are GTG, hero. Fire away.

Shot..... Out.

Last edited:
thank you so much for double checking !!

you guess the bullet right

thanks for the primer help, sure you saw Accurate uses a 350 in all their data but their powder fits the bill better

I'll let you know how it turns out, should be fun

You know what a cop and a fireman have in common ?

:p I know that firemen need to have cops around or else hosedraggers would have no heroes in their lives..........

Last edited:
Beside that the only thing they have in common is that they both want to be firemen

Subscribing to the thread.

I'm interested in seeing your results.

Beside that the only thing they have in common is that they both want to be firemen

For TROOF!!!!!!! We want to be firefighters in the worst way. "Seriously". Yeah... right... <grin>

It would be a much easier way to get equal pay to just sleep a lot and only work two days a week, plus cook all that good grub that we drove in the shiny truck to the supermarket in order to get the freshest stuff.

Honestly, buddy, you and I could go on and on with the jabs. The truth is I couldn't handle the claustrophobia of being on SCBA in a friggin tunnel in the dark. I couldn't.

I know wildfires have to be scary as hell, and the mosquitoes plus thirst and MREs and loss of sleep have much suckage. But we don't have such monsters (re: Wildfires) around here. A typical firefighter like I am familiar with???? Fights Building fires.

Simply being in a hallway of an involved apartment building during a flashover would friggin terrify me. It would very well cause my death.

Gimme a Tac-Light and a gun or two and I will go up against absolutely anything without fear. Been doing it a lot for a long time. In fact, I just did that very thing last night. Without backup, cuz it was twenty minutes away. Just me.

It was thrilling.

<QUE ~ Whitney singing "One Moment In Time">

I have very few heroes in my life. But you are one of those few.

got some in the hopper

5 round lots of Alliant AND Hercules 2400 @ 18gr, 19gr, 19.5gr--CCI 350--Remington brass--OAL 1.60" ....30 rounds total

I'll chronograph the powders side by side for same conditions , try to set a target 25 out see if I can tell if one is more accurate while I am timing them

see if I can scrounge up some milk jugs

ok no lunch again today, no pics, no video, no good groups to show....5- 6 inch groups at 25 yards

80 degrees, 5 shot groups 5 feet from muzzle

18gr
Hercules 2400 --1275 fps ..........Alliant 2400--1302 fps

19gr
Hercules 2400 --1328 fps..............Alliant 2400--1318 fps

19.5gr
Hercules 2400 --1350 fps............Alliant 2400--1339 fps

I notice the pressure to be greater with the Hercules, at 19gr the cases were a little sticky in the cylinder. At 19.5 the primer looked like it was trying to shrink up the firing pin strike a touch

Alliant primers all looked a little flat but nothing other than that

Whole lotta work for less than desired results, huh?

Obviously you are loading very consistently. The powders ain't all that different are they? And your velocities are right where they should be for those charges.

I was kidding about the pics and video.... Nothing more boring than looking at numbers.

Back