• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

45 ACP "Bear Ammo"

Like anything else give it the respect it deserves tons of black bears here never a problem mind you they have plenty to eat here so not really competing for a food source with them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will head the warnings!

If one attacks, I'll make sure it's during berry season in a blueberry patch... I hear their good eating, the bear that is;)

Great thread guys. We only have black bears in PA. I have run across 2 or 3 camping in the mountains and they generally run off before you can even get much of a look at one. Of course you want to steer clear of mom and the cubs. Some get as big as John mentioned but most are 350-400 pounds for an average one. You can keep the Grizzlies.

yeah all the ones I have seen ran off other than the one . He started too run of, got tangled up and hurt himself and though I did it.

I've seen black bears a time or two living in NC and hunting in Wisconsin. But I'd rather have to worry about bears than snakes living here in Texas. Dove season comes, u better not step foot in the field without snake gaiters.

lol, that's what the Native Americans in Alaska always say. They always ask about the snakes, I ask them about Grizzles and they ask about rattlers. The way they put it “you can see bears"....funny. They try to scare us about bears and we scare them about snakes, my favorite line is telling them to “sleep in the middle of the tent when in OR, if the rattlers detect the heat of a body part touching a tent wall they will bite you right through the tent in your sleep”, lol

Oli, that's funny right thar! The past couple of years, folks have been getting bit but never hearing a rattle. Texas Parks and Wildlife (our DNR) did some studies and determined that due to the hog explosion here, when the pigs hear a rattle, they think "food". Venom don't bother them muslim-repellers in any way. Therefore, they hypothesized that rattlesnakes are evolving not to rattle for fear of being eaten. Some call BS. I believe it's plausible.

sounds plausible to me, hard to do away with the feral pigs ? and do they taste good ? I hear mixed reviews on the taste.....love me some pig meat

Brother, that's some tasty meat. Don't let anyone tell u otherwise. Like any wild game, the flavor of the meat depends on how careful you are when you field dress it. Big boars need a little more prep when preparing to cook. I take my boar meat and soak it in ice water, white vinegar, and lemon juice. I'll change the water out once and day and repeat until the meat is grey and is lacking blood. Then grill up. Tastes like beef.
hyvyduja.jpg

8yhasa9y.jpg

Thanks. I'm a die-hard Bowhunter. I've killed countless hogs with a bow. Never smoked one with a firearm. Only killed two deer in my whole life with a gun. Rest as been all bow (I shoot compound and traditional). If I'm gun-hunting, I'm bird huntin. I try to gun hunt deer and hogs, but I always put my gun case down and pick up my bow.

My 11 year old daughter on her first grouse hunting trip last fall in Idaho. The first ruffed grouse she shot was with her 9MM. The sage hens, blue grouse and more ruffed grouse were shot with her Mossberg 410 pump. All I have to say is don't break into our house, she is deadly accurate with a pistol, rifle and shotgun!

SSCN0216.JPG

Thanks. I'm a die-hard Bowhunter. I've killed countless hogs with a bow. Never smoked one with a firearm. Only killed two deer in my whole life with a gun. Rest as been all bow (I shoot compound and traditional). If I'm gun-hunting, I'm bird huntin. I try to gun hunt deer and hogs, but I always put my gun case down and pick up my bow.
you would love it out this way, stalkers dream.

sounds plausible to me, hard to do away with the feral pigs ? and do they taste good ? I hear mixed reviews on the taste.....love me some pig meat

Not just the pigs, but the generations of "rattlesnake roundups" as well.

You hunt something the same way for a couple hundred years they start to learn...

My 11 year old daughter on her first grouse hunting trip last fall in Idaho. The first ruffed grouse she shot was with her 9MM. The sage hens, blue grouse and more ruffed grouse were shot with her Mossberg 410 pump. All I have to say is don't break into our house, she is deadly accurate with a pistol, rifle and shotgun!

View attachment 5860

Congratulations Sir.

You've achieved what 97% of the population will never understand...

Back