• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Wow, thats amazing man. These problems dont typically come up with the rifle sight models, and I've never before heard of a speedfeed stock doin that.

Youre gonna have to call and get on em. Let em know right away youre upset and very clearly let them know what its gonna take to make it right. They do have a process in place that takes a little time and its there with good reason.

However, if you let them you know you have something going on in the next couple weeks, tell them youre from Mossberg Owners (theyre aware of us) and also let them know youve made attempt to contact them with no response. Be persistent but not rude and dont be afraid to stay on them.

I recently spoke with OFM and talked to them about the perception that their CS is slow, unknowledgable, and doesnt keep in touch with customers to let them know whats goin on. You may be able to reitterate these points and the impression we get when this stuff is poste donline all over the place.

You may have to wait on hold for a few minutes, but hang in there.

TexaSaiga said:
I just got my 590a1 the other day, brand new. It appears as if I am having the same prob as you all!! I called them to no avail, I have emailed them to no avail, and no I am posting on here as an act of desperation! Does ANYONE know how I can contact this Ms. E directly? Here is the email I sent to mossberg customer service:

To whom it might concern:

I excitedly anticipated the arrival of my new 590A1 51668 serial #U166978. When it came in to the gun shop today, I purchased it, and took it home. When I removed it from the box, I was very disappointed! I couldn't beleive it! For a military grade shotgun that cost $600, I expected better quality control. The front sight is definitely canted to the right when looking down the barrel. I started checking the gun out more, and noticed that the bottom of the recoil pad was sticking out a little more then the top. I loaded two rounds in the lower speed feed cylinder, and the bottom of the recoil pad just popped off!!! The plastic inside it is broken. This gun is brand never fired. I removed it from the box, mounted a fore arm flashlight, noticed the serious flaws, removed the flashlight and put it back in the box. I have ALWAYS been a diehard Mossberg fan, but this has been a disappointing experience.

I then called up the Mossberg customer service and told them the issues. The young man who was half asleep asked me for my email address and said he would send me a pre-paid label to get it shipped out to be fixed. Well, he never sent it. So here I am. I would like to know what you can do. I would REALLY NOT like to be without the gun for the next couple weeks, but it also drives me crazy looking through the sights and seeing the canted front site. The fella I spoke with over the phone said the repair time would be a couple weeks. Is there any alternative or anything else that you can do? Perhaps ship me another barrel and recoil pad? I would like to remain a Mossberg customer, and I believe that customer service after the purchase is much more important then a flawless item to begin with. Please let me know either via email, or phone @ 903-916-0117. Thanks you very much for taking the time to read this and review the pictures.

David Rogers

PS. It was very difficult to get accurate pictures of the canted front site, but I assure you, it is twisted several degrees to the right, and makes even some semblance of accuracy, impossible.

PPS. 8000k rounds through my 10 year old 500A, and counting!

100_6718.jpg

100_6716.jpg

100_6712.jpg

100_6712.jpg

I sure hope I can post back with a good report on there customer service, but as of yet, it has sucked!

Call tech support and ask for DAVID! He's good people....he'll take care of ya. And I'm sorry you gotta go through this crap also!

TexaSaiga,
Sorry your going through some of the problems I had. Mossberg CS is terrible. Ask them to email you the shipping tag. I got mine that way on the same day. Then send that puppy right back to them. Good news was they fixed mine and it only took about 7-10 days. P.S. I wrote a letter to the company President and never heard back!!!!!!!! Good Luck.....

Email customer service everyday until they reply. That speedfeed recoil pad is pathetic the way it is attached to the stock. Mine came apart while in the gun case loaded with two spare shells in each holder. Luckily I had a spare stock that they had sent me.

I am looking for an alternate pistol grip collapsable buttstock. Something like the ATI. Or Magpul.

If you get in touch with Mossberg just ask them to send you a new regular buttstock.

Sorry to hear that,

I Have the same Model M590A1, 51668 & Speed Feed stock.

I have not had the problem that you are having Yet anyway. I better go look mine over a little more closely.

If this is suppose to be a Military approved weapon, I would hate to think that our Fine military is protecting us with a weapon that Mossbergs QC dept. let slip out.

Or do they ship their M590A1 rejects to civilians then fix them on the back side.

I better go look at mine under the microscope :ugeek:

bummer.

any updates?

i've been reading that this seems to be a common problem with these stocks. everything i've read indicates that leaving shells in the stock over a period of time causes the springs to pop off the butt pad, break it off.

fyi...the marines do not use speedfeed stocks, only the regular, synthetic stock. we do not use the 9-shot model either. we use the 6-shot 500 (bead sight only) both with or without the heavy barrel or the benelli semi-auto. some mossbergs had the heavy barrel with the 590 mag cap and some didn't. i've never seen the 9-shot in service, ever.

this situation has me worried about storing shells in my speedfeed stock.

has anyone else experienced this problem?

does anyone know if speedfeed fixed this problem with a better butt pad?

Man, I really feel for you. I'm sorry that you had to go through that. Inexcusable for a gun costing that amount of money. I purchased a new 590 A-1 Mil-Spec from my local dealer through Davidson's. All of the firearms they sell, regardless of brand, come with a Lifetime Free Replacement Warranty. Fortunately, I didn't need it.

I just bought this model. I loaded the speedfeed and while bringing it up to my shoulder... I noticed that gap. I'm going to call my dealer and see if I can exchange it or get something else.

I called and got David on the phone. I mentioned Mossberg gun owners forum and Rossingnol's name, sorry for the spelling R. I really didn't need to metion the names because David was extremely positive and helpful. He said I should tighten up the plate screws and if I had a problem to please contact him again.

That bottom screw is just plain too long. I know when a screw is snug enough or if it's bottomed out. The top screw snugs up just fine. The bottom screw is is the culprit it bottoms out too soon. Which is not to say that I like the design of rubber and plastic maintaing a constant tension from the springs. Some sort of metal washer, or preferably a coated washer would solve the design problem. Sort of like a snowshoe effect, spread the load over a larger area. I also do not appreciate the 5 cent screws that support the pad, while they might be "good enough" it is a gun. It is life saving machine, and I certainly would be willing to pay an extra 2.00 per screw to have a secure butt pad.

Perhaps it just wasn't Mossberg's intention to have a shabby speedfeed, I feel it wasn't I don't know for a fact, but I think of it as a " Tourist " type add on. I hate that tacticool word. IMHO muscle cars are cool machines, shotguns should be considered "tacti-serious."

As for me, I'll send back the speedfeed, and get some sort of upgrade. I'm going to use it, as is, for a shotgun shootout this Saturday, I can't use the speedfeed for safety reasons, and have already packed a roll of duct tape in my kit. I may look like an idiot, but I earned my money honestly, and inadvertantly spent it foolishly.

I still respect Mossberg, but they goofed on this one.

I'm wrong. Problem is cracked plastic bushing in butt pad. CS offered me a replacement. I didn't want to chance another speedfeed. So as A one time courtesy I'm getting a regular buttstock. I'm going to use a beautiful black duct tape rear to keep the pad on for a shoot this weekend.

Bummer on the failure of the speedfeed stock but good to hear they will let you swap to something different.

Any way you can fix the cracked threads with JBWeld or Epoxy in the meantime? (Sorry I'm not familiar with the internal layout of this stock)

I realize this is a couple months old now.

Did Mossberg ever get you the new stock and did they do anything about the sights on it?

I came to the forum today, reading a few things, thinking I might get a 590A1. Anyhow, reading things like this will make you hesitate. Any company can let a bad sample slip out the door, though it should be a rare thing and when they do, they ought to care enough to go overboard correcting things and do it on their dime as quickly as possible. I would say, once they saw the pictures, and it being a new shotgun, they should have immediately swapped it out for you, with you getting a new shotgun and them paying any expenses. They ought to have had you one in under a week, if not overnight. I don't think their is any excuse for less, once they have verification via pictures. At worst case they can send one for the swap and reserve the possibility of charging you, through a cc once they recieved the old one back, should they find it was somehow mistreated. In addition, these are claimed to be among the toughest of firearms, so they have to be right to start with.

That was three things wrong with one new shotgun. Canted Sight, let us be real, that is pathetic they can't do a better job than that. Then a speedfeed stock broken in two places. That much wrong warrants a full replacement all the way, in my book. You would think at some point somebody in the factory would notice some of these problems, before they put them in the box. It is not rocket science.

Like I say, anyone can let a bad one out the door on occasion, and when a company does they need to take care of it quickly. What concerns me is just looking over this forum, it appears they have a problem and while it may not be common, it appears far from rare.

Anyhow, just my 2 cents.

Fisherman said:
I realize this is a couple months old now.

Did Mossberg ever get you the new stock and did they do anything about the sights on it?

I came to the forum today, reading a few things, thinking I might get a 590A1. Anyhow, reading things like this will make you hesitate. Any company can let a bad sample slip out the door, though it should be a rare thing and when they do, they ought to care enough to go overboard correcting things and do it on their dime as quickly as possible. I would say, once they saw the pictures, and it being a new shotgun, they should have immediately swapped it out for you, with you getting a new shotgun and them paying any expenses. They ought to have had you one in under a week, if not overnight. I don't think their is any excuse for less, once they have verification via pictures. At worst case they can send one for the swap and reserve the possibility of charging you, through a cc once they recieved the old one back, should they find it was somehow mistreated. In addition, these are claimed to be among the toughest of firearms, so they have to be right to start with.

That was three things wrong with one new shotgun. Canted Sight, let us be real, that is pathetic they can't do a better job than that. Then a speedfeed stock broken in two places. That much wrong warrants a full replacement all the way, in my book. You would think at some point somebody in the factory would notice some of these problems, before they put them in the box. It is not rocket science.

Like I say, anyone can let a bad one out the door on occasion, and when a company does they need to take care of it quickly. What concerns me is just looking over this forum, it appears they have a problem and while it may not be common, it appears far from rare.

Anyhow, just my 2 cents.

Mossberg seems to have a QC problem. More prevalent with the canted front sights for some reason.

My honest opinion is that you read up on the notable QC issues and then handle one in person looking for those specific QC problems. If all is well make the purchase.

If you do a FFL transfer from an online purchase. Review the firearm prior to accepting the transfer.

I LOVE my 590A1 and my 930 SPX. Both great shotguns. I did the above prior to accepting any FFL transfers and I have been satisfied.

Back