• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

464 30-30 Loads

Hombre, the target is hard to see, as it's in a black shadow, and in a depression or cave carved by all the lead that missed the mark. In the first photo, make a line from the tail of the rightmost cow, straight down 10 yds and you'll see a black spot on a black post in a black shadow. No wonder you missed it. :rolleyes:

I normally shoot off a concrete bench with sandbags at a regulation NRA target frame.

The gun seems to string or climb vertically, but also to the right a bit.

I was all over the target on the last trial, because I had changed the scope all around and couldn't even hit the paper half the time at 50 yds. Also I was running a group of loads through the chrono, and paying more attention to that than to the target.

So far I managed to shoot the chrono once, and skinned it close enough to vibrate it apart. I blame it on wild rounds, but the truth is I got tired and lost my mojo.

Last edited:
View attachment 11892
Hombre, the target is hard to see, as it's in a black shadow, and in a depression or cave carved by all the lead that missed the mark. In the first photo, make a line from the tail of the rightmost cow, straight down 10 yds and you'll see a black spot on a black post in a black shadow. No wonder you missed it. :rolleyes:

I normally shoot off a concrete bench with sandbags at a regulation NRA target frame.

The gun seems to string or climb vertically, but also to the right a bit.

I was all over the target on the last trial, because I had changed the scope all around and couldn't even hit the paper half the time at 50 yds. Also I was running a group of loads through the chrono, and paying more attention to that than to the target.

So far I managed to shoot the chrono once, and skinned it close enough to vibrate it apart. I blame it on wild rounds, but the truth is I got tired and lost my mojo.

Cadd, The rest is the question. My rifle is sensitive to the rest. (I believe) I used too many loads for all of them to be bad. I also got stringin. But off to the left. That I am sure is sight adjustment. Too hard of a rest, or resting the rifle too far back...so it rests closer to the muzzle than the butt... The balance point of these rifles is very near the joint where the receiver and the forend wood meets. If I am correct, the rifle should sit in the rest so the rest is closer to you and there is more barrel (weight) out in front. The rifle is jumping because 1. It has a light front end. and 2. It is resting too much near the muzzle area on the forend. A softer rest cannot hurt. The forend is very thin and light. It is almost like resting the barrel on a regular sporter on the rest, instead of placing the forend on the rest.

I will be shooting tomorrow and if I can (if it is not raining) I will snap some pics. Just from memory, I am ready to believe the best shots were when I cradled the rifle in my hand and my hand under the forend, but on the rest. It was like a built in shock absorber.

Oh, the target...that little square thing to the right of the "cave"?

Another thought, if shooting at an upward or downward angle adjust your aim a bit lower. The bullet will go higher in both cases.

Capture.JPG

I actually was talking about the close up target posted with the 3 shots at 100 yds. But that's ok, I found it. It was Andrew's target on a different thread. Thanks.

Last edited:
Have you chronographed them?

We had some issues with powder and static electricity and a number of rounds in my buddy's last batch were slow by 250 to 350 fps

I clocked from 1660 to 2009 in a matter of 50 rounds fired.

Not all had the same brass, but all had the same batches of lead, powder and primers.

Cadd, all the loads I showed are chronographed loads. I looked for load data but without the exact box these loads came from I don't know what the recipe was.

Mine prefered the 180 Barnes TSX stock.

But I think it will do better with some tuning.

Looking at the few targets I have saved it appears (With the limited loads I tried) mine likes the Federal factory 150 flat points...a lot. I was loading some trying to get close to the factory load specs on it but then saw that the recipes I used were shot out of a 24" test barrel. Back to square 1. I will just load what I have and choose a decent load. The stringing seems to have stopped. Maybe the gun just had to get broke in. I bought 3 pounds of Leverevolution powder when I was in TX but the Marlin I had did not like it a bit. The 464 doesn't seem to mind it. I have 8208 xbr and Varget to test, also some Alliant Reloader 10. I don't think I tried the 8208 or 10x.

Yes that's a problem because I own several carbines and you simply cannot go by what it says on the box. The darn things are just too short to use up all the powder.

I've come to realize that a carbine needs to burn a little faster, & I understand the popularity of pistol caliber carbines even more.

But I haven't even tried to do any custom carbine loads, simply because I've been concentrating all my efforts on the target rifles and the Magnum pistol.

Yes that's a problem because I own several carbines and you simply cannot go by what it says on the box. The darn things are just too short to use up all the powder.

I've come to realize that a carbine needs to burn a little faster, & I understand the popularity of pistol caliber carbines even more.

But I haven't even tried to do any custom carbine loads, simply because I've been concentrating all my efforts on the target rifles and the Magnum pistol.

I am satisfied with my MVP 5.56. It shoots under 1 " at 100 when my hands are not shakin, the wind is in the right direction and my eyes are workin with me and not against me. My 2 ARs are iffy. But I did get a 33 lb target trigger so I think it will help me get and stay on target better.

I think it is mostly me not liking the AR style. I like a sporter. I guess I am just too old school. But the MVP is too heavy for me to carry. Or was. Actually I am losing weight slowly and my knees and hip are feelin a lot better...much less pain. I am walking better too. Hunting season may be a pleasure this season instead an effort of pain and frustration. I have some ammo to load and test, and then I will see which is best for hunting. Paper targets will die first time it rains even if I wing it. Animls deserve my best and last few seasons I hunted I did not give it to them. Things are a changin.

Well good luck with the hunting hombre. I'm afraid I'll have to switch to laser guns, after they make lead and nitro illegal here.
Hopefully I'll be able to afford the power to run them. ;)

Do you recall this old movie from the 50's about the sinking of Atlantis? In the movie there is a solar powered laser canon which looks like a big diamond on a gimble mount. Anyhow, when they hit you with the beam, you vaporize and the skeleton crumbles to ash.

Like that, but portable, with bluetooth and rechargable lithium ion batteries.

Bullets are fun, but they only travel at a snail's pace compared to lasers.

Rainy Day Project:
How may consumer laser devices do you have to duct tape together to singe the hide off a Possum from 5 yards?

Well good luck with the hunting hombre. I'm afraid I'll have to switch to laser guns, after they make lead and nitro illegal here.
Hopefully I'll be able to afford the power to run them. ;)

Do you recall this old movie from the 50's about the sinking of Atlantis? In the movie there is a solar powered laser canon which looks like a big diamond on a gimble mount. Anyhow, when they hit you with the beam, you vaporize and the skeleton crumbles to ash.

Like that, but portable, with bluetooth and rechargable lithium ion batteries.

Bullets are fun, but they only travel at a snail's pace compared to lasers.

Rainy Day Project:
How may consumer laser devices do you have to duct tape together to singe the hide off a Possum from 5 yards?

I don't use a laser. I quit usin em when I shot myself in the foot. Now I just use Claymores.

BTW, I think Barnes makes some nice copper jobs. Or you could use titanium mini rockets that use a rocket fueled second stage. Only a slight loss of velocity on takeoff.

:noprob::thanks:

Claymore? . . . OUCH!
Claymore the mine or Claymore the sword? :idk:

Clay soil is what I got. I've been tilling in compost etc for years here. Still some spots never drain, because silty clay sits over hardpan .
I've been watching Alec Steel forging a Scottish Claymore. on youtube. I guess it's like a snap-off knife. If you break the tip it's still plenty long enough.

Here people are hunting with steel and brass. I even bought some steel 12ga by mistake, not realizing why it was so attractively priced. No Lead. :doh:

Claymore? . . . OUCH!
Claymore the mine or Claymore the sword? :idk:

Clay soil is what I got. I've been tilling in compost etc for years here. Still some spots never drain, because silty clay sits over hardpan .
I've been watching Alec Steel forging a Scottish Claymore. on youtube. I guess it's like a snap-off knife. If you break the tip it's still plenty long enough.

Here people are hunting with steel and brass. I even bought some steel 12ga by mistake, not realizing why it was so attractively priced. No Lead. :doh:

When you shoot steel, do you open the choke 1 notch?

Oh, mini claymore swords loaded into claymore mines? OK, I give...

Back