• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

464 Levers Gone Bad

Cebo64

Copper BB
First things first, I have been a Mossberg owner and big fan for over 30 years. Naturally they will get a look when I'm in the market for a new gun.

After several hours of research I decided on the 464 Brush Gun for my new hog gun, a great choice... I thought. After hearing about poor customer service from Mossberg, although I've never had a problem with them before, I decided to purchase this rifle through Davidson's Gallery, who offers lifetime warranty and has a reputation for great service. My local FFL gave me a great price ($430) and I'm ready for the hogs.

Well, after purchasing 3 boxes of different brand ammo (Remington Core Lokt, Winchester, and Hornandy) I headed to the range. The sights are slick! I love em! The gun feels great and all around it looks like a quality firearm.

Loading was challenging in that everything was stiff. No prob, just needs a little break in time, right? Loading was easier by not pushing the rounds totally in, but allowing the next round to push the former all the way in.

The problem came through cycling. I bought a few brands of ammo after hearing that these 464's can be finicky. I shot. Round cycled perfectly. But then after a few shots I began experiencing a variety of loading issues. I oiled and wiped (the gun, of course).

The rounds would not come up far enough to enter chamber; rounds would not always eject; rounds got stuck in mag; rounds jammed. Using different brands made no difference. I thought maybe it needed more break in, but no. This gun had issues and nothing I tried solved them.

I called my dealer who called his Davidson rep, who immediately sent a brand new rifle. Went to pick it up today but not before my dealer tried to cycle rounds through the first gun. Same issues, proving it was rifle error and not, well, you know.... We cycled several rounds through the new replacement gun. Same issues. I returned the gun for full refund and bought another rig (through Davidson's, but not a Mossy).

Bottom line, these Mossberg guns are still sharp looking, and they shoot wonderfully. However, Mossberg may have a bad batch on the 464 Brush Gun. I'm not recommending this gun at this time because of bad experience with not one, but two of them. But if you do, buy from dealer where you have assurance of excellent customer service. They were on the spot.

(FYI: I also bought a new Duck Commander 12g pump that is back for service with Mossberg for feeding and ejecting issues, but that's another post I'll make after it's returned. Three weeks in the shop so far and opening weekend pheasant season this Saturday, Nov 14).

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Have more bad stories about the brush gun the good. Very dissapointed, as I wanted one to add to my lever collection. Getting ready to add my first Henry.

Mine came from Davidson's too.
I've spent several hours polishing and smoothing the action on my 464, and it has really paid off.

But IMO this is not a great gun for the novice unless it's just slated to be an ornament.
(And it's sure a nice ornament.) If you want it to work, there are several things that it needs attending to in order to function better.

Don't bother with Fusion ammo either. The funny tips hang.
Hornaday Lever revolution and Hornaday American Whitetail feed well for me.
Remington & Winchester...not quite as well, but acceptable.

Mine was smooth & then got very balky after just a few rounds, but now I can cycle it about 10 times fast without a jam.
HOWEVER, by that time the top of the hammer has scraped all the oil off the bottom of the bolt.
Then I must stop & oil it (one drop on the bolt, upside down) or it wants to start jamming open

I was looking for a Henry when I stumbled on the 464.
I'm still looking for a Henry.
And a Ruger.
And an Uberti.
And...and...and...
:rolleyes:

The only thing I am not a fan of on the Henry is the tube feed, other then that, beautifully constructed firearm.
I am a Marlin man to the end.
1895 GBL
1894 s
1894c
30 AS
Would like a model 39 and 336 in .35 Remington.

You don't have to jack the Henry action 5 or 10 times to unload the gun in a hurry, if that should ever be an issue.
I'm not sure which one is easier to load.

I don't like the design of the Henry as well, but they look good & from what I hear they work better.

I'd have bought a Henry already, but there's this waiting period that slows things down.
Once the cops vet you to own or carry, the waiting period is just silly.

I too have to have my firearms put in 10 day jail before I can call it my own. Just one more of the rediculously California forms of stupidity. The bullet button is probably at the top of the list.

I remember when I lived in Las Vegas in the early 90's. Walked in a gun shop, picked out my colt 1911, payed for it and walked right out the door. The good old days.
Some cities in Los Angeles county make you thumb print and swipe your license to get ammo. Thankfully, not my city of 2 square miles.

The tarp on my boat split & it's raining.... ;(

Ammo is no problem yet...
I have a guy re-loading for me though...

Back