• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

46b worth restoring? Also trigger question

8thDay

Copper BB
Hey guys. New guy here. Years ago somebody gave me an old 46b that was pretty rusted up. Nothing moved on it at all. I'm planning on staining the stock on another rifle so I figured I'd use the old wall hanger to practice on. As I started stripping the parts, I started fiddling with the bolt and managed to free it up and get it moving. I took the bolt and trigger assembly apart and knocked the rust off and oiled everything up and got it all moving and functioning. The bolt slides in and out, it cocks, and the trigger mechanism all works. It's all stiff still and definitely not in useable condition. Is it worth putting a little time into really cleaning up and (after inspection by a real gunsmith) actually getting it functioning again?

Also, the trigger adjustment bracket is missing. Do these models come without it? Is it necessary to have? I can actually pick up the whole trigger assembly for pretty cheap but if I don't have to I'd rather not.

8thDay said:
Hey guys. New guy here. Years ago somebody gave me an old 46b that was pretty rusted up. Nothing moved on it at all. I'm planning on staining the stock on another rifle so I figured I'd use the old wall hanger to practice on. As I started stripping the parts, I started fiddling with the bolt and managed to free it up and get it moving. I took the bolt and trigger assembly apart and knocked the rust off and oiled everything up and got it all moving and functioning. The bolt slides in and out, it cocks, and the trigger mechanism all works. It's all stiff still and definitely not in useable condition. Is it worth putting a little time into really cleaning up and (after inspection by a real gunsmith) actually getting it functioning again?

Also, the trigger adjustment bracket is missing. Do these models come without it? Is it necessary to have? I can actually pick up the whole trigger assembly for pretty cheap but if I don't have to I'd rather not.

welcome to the club from NY. sounds like a nice project gun for you. i would do like you said and restore it. as far as any parts get in touch with Havlin they are the older mossy pros.
Havlin (636) 937-6401

get a chance post some pics,,,,before,,,,during,,,and finished. :)

Back