• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

5:27p.m. Two Pork Shoulders go on the smoker!

GirlsLoveGuns2 said:
Good luck! Even though I'm sure you don't need it :)

No luck required. A weber smokey mountain (aka bullet), and one little tweak. Instead of using the "waterpan" to hold water, you find a 14 inch terracotta pot base (like a big dish). You put that in the waterpan and cover it with foil, and it acts like a heatsink. No water to replace. It'll chug along between 200 and 189 all night long :cool:

Should be getting ready to eat. Problem is Blue, I don't think I have you address. :D

I smoke mostly beef brisket along with a little pork loin. Apply the special rub, smoke it for a couple of hours with mesquite, double wrap it with heavy duty foil, and let it go for about 14 to 16 hours. Chill it so it's easier to slice, slice it up, put it into pans covered with foil, then warm it up just before the crowd arrives.

Did an old fashion pig roast once. Had a couple of folks that thanked me for the brisket for those that didn't belive in eating pork. I told them it was my pleasure. Only thing was, there wasn't any brisket.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

nasa said:
Should be getting ready to eat. Problem is Blue, I don't think I have you address. :D

I smoke mostly beef brisket along with a little pork loin. Apply the special rub, smoke it for a couple of hours with mesquite, double wrap it with heavy duty foil, and let it go for about 14 to 16 hours. Chill it so it's easier to slice, slice it up, put it into pans covered with foil, then warm it up just before the crowd arrives.

Did an old fashion pig roast once. Had a couple of folks that thanked me for the brisket for those that didn't belive in eating pork. I told them it was my pleasure. Only thing was, there wasn't any brisket.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I've stubbornly tried and tried to do brisket without foil... It doesn't suck, but it isn't butter soft and moist either... So you're foiling a packer for 14 hours? I'm all ears. After all you folks down in texas invented brisket!

Pulled them at 9:20, and let them rest until 11:00. Couldn't wait any longer at that point, set all my clocks to mountain time (I'm in the Northwest), and called it lunch! :lol:

Pretty much couldn't move until 2:20 :oops: You know, you gotta sample a little of Mr. Brown while he's still crispy. So as I'm chopping, I just keep popping little bits in the ol' pie hole. Then eat a normal size lunch...

I like to cook it in between sliceable, and pull-able. My favorite BBQ growing up was Nate Thurmond's at Big Nate's in San Francisco. He did what he called "Memphis Pork", which was cubed, but the edge of a fork would go right through it. I find that when I can insert a dinner fork, and rotate it 360 withouth resistance, it's perfect.

4:30 and still stuffed, but I've got some dough rising for buns tomorrow. Coleslaw, fresh buns, Pork, and I'll probably run the video of "Babe" in the background. F' PETA. Seriously. Just F'em :lol:

Hey Blue, I'm a member of P.E.T.A. (People Eating Tasty Animals)

My now passed father-in-law taught me how to do brisket. He ask me if I wanted to help with the "Boy's Deer Hunt" that he volunteered to furnish one meal. I agreed then found out the International Game Wardens Association was going to be a guest for the season. I don't know how many briskets but it was forever blazed into my mind.

I'm a "Traveling Man" and while on contract out in L.A. I fixed brisket for my fellow Jesters. To make it a little shorter, as a result the guys at the Shrine entered me in a chili cook off. I hadn't cooked a pot of chili in about 25 or 30 years. I came up with a recipe and everyone said I didn't stant a snowball chance of winning anything. I called it Just East of El Passo Chili and Bean Reunion. Ended up taking first place.

I have been many places and everywhere I go, eat what the locals have to offer, try to enjoy what they enjoy, and try to treat every trip like I'm on vacation.

Wish I'd been there to enjoy. I'm probably getting ready to eat a salami sandwich. :)

Back